Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Kakashi VS Pein lineart

Artists of MH 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BAN_KAI's Avatar
    Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Kakashi VS Pein lineart

Hey guys this is my 1st lineart that i ever made, well i was browsing DA to look for this legendary panel but i couldnt find any so i gave it a shot and i think it looks good.

It took me maximum 2 hours and i was suprised that it took so much, usually experianced lineartists make a line out of this for more that 3 hours but i guess i am special xD.

Well i hope you use these lines and before and after you do , you should notify me , after all i am going to color this too xD

Artists of MH 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member HakoHero's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kakashi VS Pein lineart

I'm going to give you some constructive criticism, bear with me. :]

It's very obvious that you don't have much experience using the pen tool in photoshop. The easiest way to spot this is that you don't curve your lines, you simply add more waypoints. This makes your lineart very pointy and rough. Take a look at the Rinnegan pattern to see what I mean - those aren't circles.

There's also several artifacts and lines crossing each other that should've been cleaned up, take for instance the right part of Kakashi's hand in the upper panel (there's double lines), the bottom of Kakashi's scar in the bottom left panel and the rod just in front of Iruka's face in the right panel which you've forgotten to make lines for. There's also the issue with some of Kakashi's hair being made with a thicker brush than the rest of the lineart in the right panel.

The black border you've made is also messy - you can see the original panel lines a few pixels right of your border in the top and the bottom left panels, you've forgotten to fill in some of the border in the bottom left panels, you can see white lines at three different points where they're not supposed to be and it's not properly aligned (it should be a little thicker at the left of the top panel in order to make its thickness the same all the way to the bottom of the left side of the page).

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but there is a reason why good lineart takes quite some time. This isn't quite as bad as I might've made it sound though, with some more practice you'll become very good at this. The most important thing you should focus on is curving your lines properly.

The reason why I can easily spot all of these mistakes is because I more or less made all the same ones when I started doing lineart myself. ;]

Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HakoHero View Post
    I'm going to give you some constructive criticism, bear with me. :]

It's very obvious that you don't have much experience using the pen tool in photoshop. The easiest way to spot this is that you don't curve your lines, you simply add more waypoints. This makes your lineart very pointy and rough. Take a look at the Rinnegan pattern to see what I mean - those aren't circles.

There's also several artifacts and lines crossing each other that should've been cleaned up, take for instance the right part of Kakashi's hand in the upper panel (there's double lines), the bottom of Kakashi's scar in the bottom left panel and the rod just in front of Iruka's face in the right panel which you've forgotten to make lines for. There's also the issue with some of Kakashi's hair being made with a thicker brush than the rest of the lineart in the right panel.

The black border you've made is also messy - you can see the original panel lines a few pixels right of your border in the top and the bottom left panels, you've forgotten to fill in some of the border in the bottom left panels, you can see white lines at three different points where they're not supposed to be and it's not properly aligned (it should be a little thicker at the left of the top panel in order to make its thickness the same all the way to the bottom of the left side of the page).

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but there is a reason why good lineart takes quite some time. This isn't quite as bad as I might've made it sound though, with some more practice you'll become very good at this. The most important thing you should focus on is curving your lines properly.

The reason why I can easily spot all of these mistakes is because I more or less made all the same ones when I started doing lineart myself. ;]

haha dont wory i can take harsh comments, you were right about a lot of those misstakes and expecially that i dont curve the lines, i have been using the pen tool for a while but only for little stuff like coloring the area around eyes and etc , nothing complicated, and the reason i didnt try so much to corrent these things was that i am planing to color this and when i do i usually delete lines that arent necesary, like the rinnegan lines.

Well thank you for you long comment, it was helpfull

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Hand Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn he hit the nail on the coffin. I can give you a tut if need be. Also when are you gonna color that lineart I made for you?

Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello guys this is my latest coloring that i made for the manga contest in which i scored the damn 2nd place -_-.

this thing won the 1st place
    Spoiler show

Well i really like it but its nothing special.

Took me 2 hours .

Spoiler show

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Hand Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Your light sources are all over the place.

Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    Your light sources are all over the place.
    yes they are and i like it that way, cause the light is on top of them

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity -Ren Boy-'s Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you may like it the light source to be crazy, but then it just makes it invalid if you are trying to attempt to use a light source and it is not correct. And why the hell are you making the first panel blurry, I also don't appreciate how you vaguely try to present the idea that your work was much better then the one who won the contest.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member lee-nus's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post
    yes they are and i like it that way, cause the light is on top of them
    if the light is on top of them, there's not much logic to the shading. also, work a bit more on the lines, i find them a little too edgy!
    plus, who gives a damn thing about the colour contests??
    Last edited by lee-nus; June 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM.

Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lee-nus View Post
    if the light is on top of them, there's not much logic to the shading. also, work a bit more on the lines, i find them a little too edgy!
    plus, who gives a damn thing about the colour contests??
    YOu both are right, stupid me, i dont even know why i added highlights on his back , well anyway i wouldnt care so much about that i lost if it was an actually awesome work, like if you Lee Nus won, but i really cant understand why that won, i mean that is the simpliest thing to do, i would credit the maker for coloring it but heck the guy didnt even chose his own shadows they were already there in the manga, so if i count the shades there should be less than 10 of them and they are all present in the panel. it hurts my ego that i colored something for 2 hours and a guy won who made something in 15 min .

Well thanks Lee if i might call you that way xD . i hope you leave comments in the near futture as well, btw can you comment on my newest coloring of Ullqiora cause i dont know if that other style is better

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity -Ren Boy-'s Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

There is more to art than just the piece itself, the meaning could be deeper to that. Some arts are worth thousands and these are the arts of just splattered paint.

New Reply