Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oyasumi Punpun by ASANO Inio

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oyasumi Punpun by ASANO Inio

Oyasumi Punpun (Goodnight Punpun)
    By: ASANO Inio
    Genre: Seinen, Slice of Life, Psychological, Drama, Romance, Mature
    Serialized In: Young Sunday (2007 - 2008), Big Comic Spirits (2008 - Present)
    Publisher: Shogakukan
    Mangaupdates

Witness the titular Punpun - who is depicted as a tiny, caricatured bird in an otherwise normal human setting - as he copes with his dysfunctional family and friends, his love interest, his oncoming adolescence and his hyperactive mind.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 21, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oyasumi Punpun by ASANO Inio

The first four volumes left me feeling a little cold, they were good but I preferred some of his older series. After volume 5 and 6 I changed my mind. Brilliant, both were brilliant. Yuichi flipping out and abandoning the family, Punpuns first date (and mesmerizing new hair), his mothers illness, redemption, and death were highlights for me. With so much going on I am dying for volume 7 to be translated. Especially with his father seemingly returning.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I feel like Inio finally hit his stride in volume 5 (probably my favorite of the bunch so far) with this one and the epicness has continued on into 6. I don't think I was as disappointed with 1-4 as you were, Kaiten -- it's still Inio after all, so it wasn't bad by any stretch. I still quite liked it. But I do agree that the story quality picks up in 5. Yuichi is one of the most interesting characters for me, so I loved the whole story revolving around him. Oh, and I decided to make a sig dedicated to Punpun's "awesome" new hair. I love it! It's just so... bad.

I can't wait for volume 7 either. The return of Punpun's dad will surely be interesting and possibly very emotional.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the sig, I told you that already though!

Don't get me wrong, compared to 99% of manga out there the first four volumes were brilliant. I happened to like Nijigaharah Holograph and Solanin a bit more.

Yuichi is so intriguing right now. I can't tell if he's going to settle down and become a respectable adult or go on a murderous rampage. Of course he could passive-aggressively torture his family and friends some more, which I fully expect. Ultimately he seems to be a good person, maybe he finds his way in ensuing volumes.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Aah this thread is so old, why are there so few people reading this

I'm just at the end of Vol 2. It's not the smooth read type of manga imo, it's pretty depressing after all
    I'll continue reading though, interesting to hear that it will improve later. It has a cool style and is very crazy, two things which totally catch me. And yet so dark and depressing °_°

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely agree. More people should be reading and discussing Inio! He is really fantastic at creating moving, thought-provoking, slice of life manga. It can be incredibly depressing and even a bit difficult to read at times because of that, but always brilliant. Hopefully we'll get some more discussion here once volume 7 comes out.

I can't wait to hear what you think once you hit volume 5, Rofl, or at least what you think about Yuichi once he's introduced (if he hasn't been already). Since you say you like 'crazy', I know you will love what's to come after volume 2.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Punpun's God and thoughts about masturbation are crazy enough so far

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I find this manga hard to cry or laugh at .. It is so deep and so psychological, yet I find it funny, like I am look at some dark twist on reality. I think more of humanity is put into Punpun than any other character. Whenever I can not emotionally justify what I am reading I look for rational explanations and try to analyze, sadly with Punpun I am left to wonder and wonder to oblivion.

---------- Post added July 01, 2012 at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was June 18, 2012 at 03:50 AM ----------

I know it is difficult to read this at some points or even start it, odd setting is odd. But I am still going to sticky this to get more attention. I really want to hear different opinions on this manga. I know it is hard to discuss psychological stuff but seriously what does everyone think?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

There is probably the same news in English somewhere, but here it says Punpun will end at volume 14 which will make it end probably current 2014.
    Last edited by k-dom; December 20, 2012 at 05:18 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't bring myself to read this manga sometimes, I have a hard time understanding it from time to time. Still really well done manga, I like the Psychological side to it that Asano Inio has added even though I have a hard time understanding it, awesome manga! ^^

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gantzter127 View Post
    I can't bring myself to read this manga sometimes, I have a hard time understanding it from time to time. Still really well done manga, I like the Psychological side to it that Asano Inio has added even though I have a hard time understanding it, awesome manga! ^^
    It's very confusing, might take rereads as well. Might even take some time between picking up again. Well, it's a kind of reality perhaps not common to everyone. It is real, yet there is a shadow of weirdness looming. It's surreal, perhaps not made to make sense, just random, the problem with Punpun is that it DOES try to make sense at times.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand it very well, it's just some parts are like "WTF". Only 16 so understandable. hehe

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand it very well, it's just some parts are like "WTF". Only 16 so understandable. hehe
    Hm, well the manga should be easy to relate to then. Certain pats are just not understandable for the sake of not being understandable. Though deep down we may understand the irrational stuff in the manga.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Though deep down we may understand the irrational stuff in the manga.
    Indeed. ^^

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. ^^
    If you have nay questions about the manga perhaps we can debate them here? One word posts are not too contributive, please post more content.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast