Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manga similar to berserk

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga similar to berserk

I just caught up with berserk and finished reading up to ch. 312. It was great. I am wondering if there are other manga similar to berserk that would be fun to read

Thanks

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga similar to berserk

hmm there's nothing quite like Berserk out there...there's Claymore and Ubel Blaat if you want similar medieval fantasy based manga otherwise, there's Battle Angel Alita, it has a similar feel to Berserk (bleak and dreary tone). If you want something that has less fantasy, try Blade of the Immortal or Vagabond. Vinland Saga as well

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBlitz View Post
    hmm there's nothing quite like Berserk out there...there's Claymore and Ubel Blaat if you want similar medieval fantasy based manga otherwise, there's Battle Angel Alita, it has a similar feel to Berserk (bleak and dreary tone). If you want something that has less fantasy, try Blade of the Immortal or Vagabond. Vinland Saga as well
    Thanks for the response. I've read all of those except Battle angel Alita. I don't particularly like Claymore and Ubel Blaat. Like the the other three quite a bit, especially Vagabond. I guess I'll look into Battle Angel Alita.

thanks again

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I see "Blade of the Phantom Master - Shin Angyo Onshi" a work very similar to Berserk for certain parts (for example the incipit): I recommend it strongly to you

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member SuperShuter's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Shin Angyo Onshi is very good the best I have ever read, rated higher than Berserk because it has an ending. Again Vinland Saga also has a very similar style, although its another monthly unfinished one.

If you are looking for something similary dark but non medevil, Shamo is a very good dark fighting manga. Where the main character goes to a jouniour asylem for killing his parents and is a wuss but for some reason they all learn Karate in there (wtf lol) and when he comes out he decides to enter this karate sort of tournement. The best thing about it is that the main character is pretty evil.
    Last edited by SuperShuter; July 27, 2010 at 08:36 PM.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member damane08's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperShuter View Post
    Shin Angyo Onshi is very good the best I have ever read, rated higher than Berserk because it has an ending. Again Vinland Saga also has a very similar style, although its another monthly unfinished one.

If you are looking for something similary dark but non medevil, Shamo is a very good dark fighting manga. Where the main character goes to a jouniour asylem for killing his parents and is a wuss but for some reason they all learn Karate in there (wtf lol) and when he comes out he decides to enter this karate sort of tournement. The best thing about it is that the main character is pretty evil.

thank you man, you have given me a sweet manga to read in Shamo, gonna go read it right now.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that in a way Berserk and Vagabond have some interesting similarities in their protagonists, which seem both the same kind of (self chosen) outcasts to me. Vagabond always has to be recommended, but I specifically recommend it to people who like Gatsu - he has a good load of similarities, while beeing absolutely different in other ways, too.

Focussing more on a psychological aspect, I also see Kokou no Hito beeing a little similar in the protagonist (although the scenario is totally different - modern time, civil life story) as well as Wolfen Crest. The similarities seem really far off, but all of these have the same kind of Lone Wolf Protagonist.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aazholh's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend Osamu Tezuka's Dororo. Artistically, it is very different from Berserk (think Astroboy). But storywise, it is pretty dark, compelling stuff. The protagonist Hyakkimaru's body was sacrificed to 48 demons as a baby. Each demon took a vital organ (eyes,nose,arms,legs...) The hero's adopted father fits him with prosthetic arms and legs with concealed blade in each arm.

Also, just like Guts, he is plagued by goblins that wish to take his body. By defeating each demon he regains his vital organ.

Anyways here's a video from the ps2 videogame which was loosely based on the manga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbM7ou4-ias

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner XeroxedEchidna's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Any more? I've read everything mentioned here and liked them all a lot. My favorite/the best fit were the ones mentioned by CBlitz (mentioned exactly what I would have). Thanks.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Cyber34's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A manga by the name of "Dark Mage" which can be found here http://www.mangafox.com/manga/dark_mage/ is similar to Berserk. It mixes the hardcore action and fantasy adventure theme better then Ubell Blatt and almost as good as Berserk.

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A Manhwa called Gwi (Ghost).
    You can read it here: EGscans Reader

The series action almost resembles Berserk. But the main character doesn't look too buff, he seems more agile and a bit of a sword master.
    It has action, adventure, horses, history, martial arts, seinen and I think it is based in the olden days.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

How come nobody mentioned Priest? It's by far the closest to Berserk in terms of dark tone.It's losely based on Faust. Also Ivan is very similar to Guts during the Blackswordsman arc. Unfortunately the series are unfinished. The author went on an indeterminate hiatus and is working on other series.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kijion's Avatar
    A PLACE IN THE WORLD THATS NOT WHERE YOU ARE
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised no one brought up The Arms Peddler or Akame Ga Kiru

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member vampire killer's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like