Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to buy Japanese manga

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to buy Japanese manga online

Hello, I have been looking for a specific manga for awhile now and while the first post has been very very helpful, I'm still having a lot of trouble, and I was wondering if anybody could help.

I'm looking for volume 1 of Rough (ラフ) by Mitsuru Adachi, but it's not a widely popular manga so it's not on a lot of websites. Also I can't seem to find the original Japanese version, except for on Amazon.co.jp, but S/H is over $30 for a $7 book and I was hoping I could find something a little bit cheaper. I can't read Japanese myself (the book is supposed to be a gift) so I've been translating the Japanese pages to help me get around. I checked out all the links on the first page, and the only other link other than amazon.co.jp that has any Rough mangas is sasugabooks.com, but they only have volume 7. Does anyone have any insight where I can get this manga preferably for under $30? Thank you so much for any help!!

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you bother to email AcclimateSolutions?

Like I said, their list on the site just has the most frequently requested mangas. If you email them and request for specific volumes, they will look for them.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    Did you bother to email AcclimateSolutions?

Like I said, their list on the site just has the most frequently requested mangas. If you email them and request for specific volumes, they will look for them.
    Thanks for the info, I've just emailed them now. If I may ask, how much do you usually buy your mangas from them for? (If you request them, do they charge extra for having to look, etc?) Thanks.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

New book, around ~6-7 $US.

Used book, depends on how used.

The prices are inflated a little bit, but the searching & work done to find the books is paid for in the price you pay the books.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    RAW Providers 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Finestela's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... as long as it's still in print, the "cheapest" option in my opinion is to find enough of other books (2 or 3 more should be enough) that you're buying, and send the list as special order request/quote to Sasugabooks. If the whole thing exceeds 40 dollars, there will not be any shipping, but just a bit of handling (around 1 dollar per book).

I mean if you don't mind slower transit, then AcclimateSolutions is probably the cheapest choice. Otherwise, give Sasuga Books an e-mail.

If I may ask, is the book you're looking for a the "New Edition" with 350+ pages or older print of ~200 pages?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your info, GGpX and Finestela ^^ I emailed Acclimate Solutions and they emailed me back with an estimate that should cost around $12-15 total, which is pretty sweet (considering that Amazon Japan said $40 T_T) I might shoot off an email to Sasuga too to see what they say, but unfortunately I have no idea what you mean by "new edition" and older print...does that have something to do with the Special Edition versus Bunko?

Acclimate gave me a quote on the Special edition ($1 more) versus the Bunko edition, and I looked up bunko on wiki (apparently the "typical" release and has more pages?) but I don't know what the Special edition entails...unfortunately I'm just a very casual manga reader and am quite clueless, but if anyone could fill me in I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks<33

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Original Print: 1987, 181 Pages, Out of Print

Bunko: 2001, 313 Pages, 610 Yen

New Edition: 2006, 350 Pages, 710 Yen

It's just that if you're buying volume 1 to sort of "complete your collection", it's best to try to figure out with format you're looking for

Also, is the $15 from Acclimate with shipping? If so, what kind of shipping did you ask for?

If the $12~15 is including shipping, and the shipping method is EMS, then it'd be a great deal, and you should go ahead and take it. For SAL, it's not bad if you're not in a rush to get the book. If it's sea... then try to request for at least SAL unless you're paitent enough

From my experience with various shipping methods (this is within a year):

EMS: Usually 3~4 days after your order, if it's in stock in Japan. SUPER expensive.

Sasuga Books: The way they work is that they have their own air cargo, and ships from Japan every few days to their warehouse in the US. They then ship it domestically to you with either UPS or USPS. If you order $40+ and take the free shipping option, it's usually 2~3 weeks after order.

SAL: I don't care what those SAL promoter said how fast it is... but with the number of international flights getting cut each day, your package is usually queued up really far in the back, and the best time I'm getting is 3 weeks, with the longest being 6 weeks (which lead to my cancelation of subscription with BK1...).

Sea: I was getting about 8~10 weeks before I say screw sea packages forever...

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, EMS isn't super expensive (Unless you're dirt poor or cheap as hell), but it usually comes out to ~650 yen / book (Roughly).

But you do get your books pretty fast.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... if you put it THAT way, then yeah, it's not spectacularly expensive... but when you're looking for places to save, every bit counts

natsq91, forgot to explain something else regarding Amazon.co.jp...
    It's always expensive to buy one or two books there, because of the way they calculate shipping for oversea orders.

Basicly, on top of the price, they charge a base charge according to country (2.7k yen, or ~$27 for North America), and then a per item charge (300 yen, or ~$3 per item). As GGpX noted above, EMS costs around 650~700 per item (magazines would cost more). So what happens is that, when you buy A LOT from Amazon, then shipping cost is actually less than normal rate because the the base cost stays the same.

Anyway, unless you're trying to buy a whole bunch of books (like an entire series), don't bother with Amazon You're better off asking Acclimate or buy from BK1/SasugaBooks.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

(Or be like me and bother a certain administrator here to buy you books through BookOff. It's a slow and uncertain method, though. `-')

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, you guys are fantastic : I had been lurking this thread before in my search and finally thought to join.

In any case, Sasuga said the bunko version is $11 + $7.75 S/H. Acclimate quotes $9.50 for the special version + $5 SAL shipping, or $8 AIR shipping (is that EMS shipping or slower? o_O) They don't have an EMS option...Also the bunko version is $8.50 + $4.50 SAL shipping, or $8 AIR shipping. The guy said this is the difference between the two versions,

Quote Quote:
    Special version is bigger and more pages comparing to original version.
    And, Bunko version is smaller but more pages in one volume. It is something like paperback comparing to hardcover.
    Also I'm looking to start a collection, not complete one, so it's really just a matter of trying to figure out which one is nicest :P Heh. I want this within a month, but I guess it's no biggie, unless it takes like 3 months. XD Which do you think is best? It seems bunko is the most common, but special just sounds so...special...which seems like it should be special T_T haha

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's just personally preference on which edition you'd want to go for... From what I can tell, the "new edition" is the same length and width as normal tanks, so it's slightly bigger print than bunko edition. It also contains more pages (about 50 more pages). There are total of 7 volumes for bunko and 6 volumes of "new edition". So really, it comes down to which you prefer

If you're not buying more books in the same order so that you'd get to 40 for Sasuga, then take the Acclimate offer

Air mail is slower than EMS... but faster and at least more predictable than SAL.
    Think of EMS, Air, and SAL as 2nd day/Overnight delivery, priority mail, and first-class package

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Jouki's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Re: Where to buy Japanese manga online

I want to buy from BK1. I don't have a Credit Card! Can they accept Paypal?
    Sorry, my English is very bad! T_T

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jouki View Post
    I want to buy from BK1. I don't have a Credit Card! Can they accept Paypal?
    Sorry, my English is very bad! T_T
    I don't think so :/ They only accept credit card and Japanese internet banking service (as well as various pre-paid points/cards)...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to once again thank GGpX and Finestela for their wonderful advice and help; without you guys I probably would have still been milling around in confusion and I'm very thankful. I would also like to let anyone else who is contemplating a RAW manga purchase to seriously consider Acclimate Solution. I ordered a not very well known manga from them (as you can probably see from the posts above this) and received it a mere 9 days from ordering via SAL shipping. Fantastic service, exactly as I ordered, I couldn't be more pleased.

Thanks a lot manga helpers!!

New Reply
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast