Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arakawa Under the Bridge by NAKAMURA Hikaru

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Arakawa Under the Bridge by NAKAMURA Hikaru

Arakawa Under the Bridge
    By: NAKAMURA Hikaru
    Genre: gag
    Serialized In: Young GanGan
    Scanlated By: Slowmanga
    RTS

Gag manga about Kou, a young "elite" man, who has a policy of not being in debt to anyone. But he ends up owing his life to a strange girl who saves his life. Nino, the girl who claims she's a venusian and lives under the bridge by the Arakawa river, demands that Kou become her lover. So the young man ends up living there too.

Debut manga by the creator of St. Young Men
    Like the manga? Try the anime!

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Arakawa Under the Bridge by NAKAMURA Hikaru

This series is great, I'm currently watching the anime of this. Going by the anime alone, I'd recommend this manga for reading. I'm planing to to read this myself once the anime ends.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Read it soon. Parts of volume 1 hasn't been animated yet, a lot of them are chapters focused on Nino too. She disappears a little less in the manga, I like her a lot more now. Star is still epic; I haven't read far enough for Stella, Piko and Maria yet. Kou is a bigger asshole in the manga

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member <.Haruka.>'s Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    I haven't read far enough for Stella, Piko and Maria yet. Kou is a bigger asshole in the manga
    I think you can find those 3 on volume 2, I agree with regards to Kou there, though I do prefer him on the anime when it comes to the artstyle.

Also I observed that the first volume starts and centers mostly on Nino & Riku (Kou), and then the rest of the characters in the Arakawa bridge were introduced. The manga is as hilarous as the anime, AUB is truly a cool masterpiece just like the previous work (Saint Oniisan) of the mangaka.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

She's turned into one of my favorite mangaka, certainly my favorite comedy mangaka. You were right: Maria, Stella, and Piko all showed up by the end of volume 2. A good chunk of volume 2 was taken up by the date, otherwise I did like that it focused on the side characters, some of whom are my favorites. I loved (forget which volume) when Nino and Rik "adopt" a child. Great scene. Nakamura is so good at inserting humanity into the comedy. I don't just laugh because of the jokes but because I care about the characters.

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    I loved (forget which volume) when Nino and Rik "adopt" a child. Great scene. Nakamura is so good at inserting humanity into the comedy. I don't just laugh because of the jokes but because I care about the characters.
    Its on volume 2-ch. 24 to vol. 2-ch. 25 i think, where they randomly picked up a child while picking trash on the riverside. This is a good part also, I hope they can include this on the anime..

Each character's uniqueness in the story brings natural humour and appeal to the readers, i guess, that's why its quite lovable for me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I catch myself wondering about their back stories. How did Chief get to the river bank? What did he do before he decided he was a Kappa? How did Nino get there? There has been some back story for Maria, Star, and Sister but I'd like more. Maybe to come in the unscanlated, unanimated chapters

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kuuki's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the manga more than the anime actually. I bought all 10 volumes because I adore the artwork. And in each volume, there are omake at the end with colored pages. Truly a masterpiece <3

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the manga a little more too. The anime has been good too but feels, first time I'm saying this, cliche SHAFT. There other series all had a distinct feel amongst all the SHAFT trademarks. Arakawa is the first one that feels formalized, it's style a little to similar to Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, only gentler. The manga also has more Nino, who in my opinion is the heart of the series.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kuuki's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I don't know if it's a good thing, but I have not watched other animes by SHAFT, so I think the anime is quite unique with all the quirky things XD

I also think that the manga centers Nino more, and the anime narrates more to Kou/Riku's side.
    Somehow, I have a feeling that the manga is going to end soon, in 1 or 2 volumes left. Not going to spoil anything though

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Kuuki, I highly suggest you check out some other SHAFT anime. I consider (at the very least) Bakemonogatari as well as all of the seasons of Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei to be compulsory for any anime fan. And yes, Arakawa actually is becoming a bit "cliche SHAFT", but I don't necessarily consider it to be a bad thing. I'm still highly enjoying the anime. ^^

As for the manga, I read the first two volumes yesterday and loved it. The character designs aren't quite as pretty as in the anime, but otherwise I definitely prefer the manga (which is usually the case for me). I agree with everyone else that the stronger focus on Nino in the manga is really nice. And I feel like the comedy shines through a little more in the manga as well. Even though SHAFT always creates a stylish anime, all the little bells and whistles aren't really necessary when the source material is so good. The characters are lovable and quirky enough on their own.

I kinda dig the length of the chapters, too. The shortness of the chapters seemed to make this a really super-quick read for me. Well, that and the fact that the manga is just plain fun to read.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kuuki View Post
    Oh, I don't know if it's a good thing, but I have not watched other animes by SHAFT, so I think the anime is quite unique with all the quirky things XD

I also think that the manga centers Nino more, and the anime narrates more to Kou/Riku's side.
    Somehow, I have a feeling that the manga is going to end soon, in 1 or 2 volumes left. Not going to spoil anything though
    I don't know how to put this but: compared to most anime Arakawa is very unique. Everything by SHAFT is. Compared to some of their other series like the ef franchise, Bakemonogatari, PaniPoni, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei they seem to be relying on a formula. That's not to say it was bad, more like 9/10 where as those others are 10's.

No spoilers
    With the success of St. Young Men, and Arakawa being six years old it wouldn't surprise me if it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by igotthegoods View Post
    Well, Kuuki, I highly suggest you check out some other SHAFT anime. I consider (at the very least) Bakemonogatari as well as all of the seasons of Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei to be compulsory for any anime fan. And yes, Arakawa actually is becoming a bit "cliche SHAFT", but I don't necessarily consider it to be a bad thing. I'm still highly enjoying the anime. ^^

As for the manga, I read the first two volumes yesterday and loved it. The character designs aren't quite as pretty as in the anime, but otherwise I definitely prefer the manga (which is usually the case for me). I agree with everyone else that the stronger focus on Nino in the manga is really nice. And I feel like the comedy shines through a little more in the manga as well. Even though SHAFT always creates a stylish anime, all the little bells and whistles aren't really necessary when the source material is so good. The characters are lovable and quirky enough on their own.

I kinda dig the length of the chapters, too. The shortness of the chapters seemed to make this a really super-quick read for me. Well, that and the fact that the manga is just plain fun to read.
    I love Hikaru's writing style. She comes off as more cynical in the manga, I think. Maybe the candy colored animation (total win) softens things a bit.

Gag is great for speed reading
    Jaguar has really short chapters like this. I think it's typical of gag/4koma but havent read enough to know.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Arakawa Under the Bridge by NAKAMURA Hikaru

Volume 3 came out yesterday, go, read nao.

A lot of this volume was animated already (really like getting parts I haven't seen yet) but has a lot of great parts. Farming with Pi-Ko was great, Ric's first kiss, and the arrival of Ric's secretaries were some of my favorite parts.

Only complaint: scan quality wasn't as high with this volume

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading vol. 3, and I agree lots had been adapted on the animation but most of my favorite scenes were the ones who weren't shown in the anime.

First one I like was Star's new song, "go to hell, seducing teacher," on chap. 59 (the anime had a different name on the song but its same i guess on cursing Ric)

On chapters 63 & 65, just found out that Rick was afraid of earthworms when they were digging potatoes on P-ko's garden. (..and i think Nino loves dragonflies aside from fish...)

On chap. 64, its quite funny to see Chief/Kappa style of stealing potatoes, his view between humans & kappa & how P-ko's imagination run wild being her as 'Juliet' & Chief as 'Romeo'.

Lastly, Maria's gift ~(pg.1 pg.2) to Sister was quite hilarious, (chap. 76)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maria's gift was one of my favorite parts. The sincerity Sister received it with cracked me up.

Chapter 78-82 is out! The cover of volume 4 is epic, absolutely hilarious.
    Last edited by Kaiten; August 27, 2010 at 02:14 AM.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast