Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Good, the Bad, and Yokoya

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Good, the Bad, and Yokoya

Yokoya Norihiko, the only man who has been able to challenge Akiyama's mental strength. He will use everyone to his advantage using the fear of debt as a tool. Once he has players trapped in debt he will give them false security by saying he will free them. A man who has large sums of money in the LGT and the real world. Although he could have exited the tournament in round 3, he decided to stay with his goal of defeating Nao and Akiyama. Also known to keep mice on his body, psycho~.

So what have you thought of Yokoya so far? How long will he remain in the tournament and what are his true intentions?
    Last edited by Akiyama; June 27, 2010 at 09:23 PM.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Good, the Bad, and Yokoya

Either he wants to win it, or just simply crush Akiyama and make him fall out. He truly is an evil genius and one of my favourites for the show hands down!
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Scary little dude... kinda anticlimatic he seems so closely related to rats though. I find it interesting he has gotten a wider definition of what domination is though, he has also improved through the game...

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Either he wants to win it, or just simply crush Akiyama and make him fall out. He truly is an evil genius and one of my favourites for the show hands down!
    I think he wants to win for the sake of winning. Its not like he is trapped in the game like everyone else because he can easily buy his way out of it. But thats where the scariness of him lies. It is in the fact that this game is pretty much just fun for him and ends up being his playground. His life and finances are not on the line. Now his sole purpose is to crush Akiyama and Nao.

My question is though if he will stick in the whole game in order to be THE antagonist for Akiyama and Nao or will he bite the dust leaving opening for a new more fiercer opponent to step in? (If that kind of person even exists and if they do then they must be an incredible threat )

Intl Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member GEshode's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Yokoya just wanted to have some fun in the beginning of the LGT and of course win it, since he loves to dominate other people. But since he got defeated by Akiyama and Co. his only reason to stay in the tournament is to crush them. Because he doesn't seem like a person who likes to loose.

Well, at the moment he definitely is Akiyama's nemesis. But I hope, there will be coming some one else, because otherwise it would be kinda boring to always have the same enemy. But I don't think that the new enemy has to be fiercer then Yokoya. I even would like it better, if it was the opposite. I mean, wouldn't be interesting to have a seemingly naive and helpless character to be the enemy (not thinking about Nao), maybe even with a henchman, who seems to be the new enemy, but not really being the one.

If you eliminate the impossible, what ever remains, how ever improbable, must be the thruth!
    The GEshode Thread
    The journey, which is called life

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he views the world in from a different POV than the others...he sees it as a game, but he can see the importance of life, death,love, etc...he knows the weight of such things, but it's still a game for him, which kinda makes him close-minded and unexperienced...that's probably related to his wealth as well...

In short...I guess he can realize the importance of feelings, relationships etc...but never felt them, never lived them...his superior intellect and lack of real life experience....Akiyama's is superior to him, because of the jail and her mother's death

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the past few games I have gotten the impression yokoya is actually smarter than akiyama..... Akiyama is not idiot but in turn the way he approaches a problem is more beneficial. Yokoya attempts to control the game by himself, akiyama has team members which he trusts to an extent and are in his team practically unconditionally. Yokoya at least in the past few games has had an overwhelming advantage over akiyama for most of the time. Akiyama has yet to break the rules but IMO having to resort to the physical aspects of the games (locking himself in the virus check rooms, trapping yokoya) shows yokoya is at least a bit better as an strategist. Also consider the contraband game, yokoya actually thought of tricking the other team into taking a lot of money long before akiyama ever came up with the plan.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Over the past few games I have gotten the impression yokoya is actually smarter than akiyama..... Akiyama is not idiot but in turn the way he approaches a problem is more beneficial. Yokoya attempts to control the game by himself, akiyama has team members which he trusts to an extent and are in his team practically unconditionally. Yokoya at least in the past few games has had an overwhelming advantage over akiyama for most of the time. Akiyama has yet to break the rules but IMO having to resort to the physical aspects of the games (locking himself in the virus check rooms, trapping yokoya) shows yokoya is at least a bit better as an strategist. Also consider the contraband game, yokoya actually thought of tricking the other team into taking a lot of money long before akiyama ever came up with the plan.
    Yokoya is quite smart and definitely rivals Akiyama but I personally would not call her smarter or say its not clear. See you mention that Akiyama has team members and thats because he is going along with Nao and her plan to save as many people as possible. Yokoya is just woring about himself and is only working for himself. He makes a team when he needs one and then crushes it and its members in the end. This may look like he's performing better and is smarter as your saying, but I believe Akiyama has the harder job. He has to create a situation for the game in which not only he gets out alive, but that everyone he wants to save with Nao gets out alive. Saving as many people as possible is something much harder than just saving your own ass and thats why using that as an argument you could say Akiyama is smarter. So yes Yokoya is indeed very smart but he is either lesser or equal to Akiyama from what I have observed.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogance View Post
    Yokoya is quite smart and definitely rivals Akiyama but I personally would not call her smarter or say its not clear. See you mention that Akiyama has team members and thats because he is going along with Nao and her plan to save as many people as possible. Yokoya is just woring about himself and is only working for himself. He makes a team when he needs one and then crushes it and its members in the end. This may look like he's performing better and is smarter as your saying, but I believe Akiyama has the harder job. He has to create a situation for the game in which not only he gets out alive, but that everyone he wants to save with Nao gets out alive. Saving as many people as possible is something much harder than just saving your own ass and thats why using that as an argument you could say Akiyama is smarter. So yes Yokoya is indeed very smart but he is either lesser or equal to Akiyama from what I have observed.
    Well, that is one way to see it but it does not cover all aspects. Yokoya and akiyama approach the games differently but I doubt their methods can be called outright superior to that of the other. It is true akiyama is trying to save people along with nao which is definitely hard but in turn the situation does come with a few perks. Take the musical chair game. When the game started akiyama did not really have to search so hard to form his nation, he merely called nao, fukanaga and a couple others and he had an instant nation. Thanks to his saving people approach, he essentially has a set of people which he can trust to a much greater extent than what yokoya could ever afford to. Also, his approach along with nao has also resulted in people leaning towards joining him while people usually utterly dislike yokoya nearing the end of a game (and even the beginning). It is to yokoya's credit he manages to get people on his side even though basically everyone knows yokoya would sell them out the second he gets the chance. Also, look at how easily yokoya was betrayed by the long haired guy before.... Yokoya got sold out and his team fell apart for the most part simply due to the long haired guy thinking he could get some later on. What are the odds of nao, fukanaga or akagi betraying akiyama? Very slim, at least considerably less than what anyone else would expect. Even harimoto who essentially brainwashed his followers got half betrayed now...

In game, yokoya does not trust anyone at all, he relies entirely on a pseudo extortion and psychological barriers which keep his oompa lumpas at bay. Normally that would be an stressful situation since betrayal can come extremely easily yet we see yokoya handling it beautifully. In game, yokoya is entirely alone, he only has around him people he can't trust and would sell him out for a better deal (or some ass) without a second though. Akiyama in turn has people he can trust to a great extent and shares a cause with, he is not bound to be betrayed.... Basically, yokoya is entirely alone in the game, all he has is himself and yet he manages to pull his act together.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see where kkck in calling Yokoya smarter than Akiyama is coming from. Its not so much in the strategies Akiyama has had to employ but rather that Yokoya thinks very similar to him and ends up being one step ahead of Akiyama, which does IMO put slightly ahead in strategy making. However, what Akiyama has over Yokoya or that allows him to vault ahead is his own selflessness.

Yet, as Arrogance has stated Akiyama competes at a much larger scale beyond what Yokoya looks toward. Only Akiyama with the help of Nao can formulate or rather use strategies that lead to the downfall of Yokoya without actually winning, as the musical chairs chapter shows, or creating a situation beneficial to all, as the virus minigame. If Akiyama were competing only for victory or money then I think Yokoya has as we've seen an edge in such competition. However, by looking to compete at a scale, against the LGT, much larger than simple victory Akiyama and Nao has succeeded in besting Yokoya (he after all cannot look past himself or attempt such strategies go past benefiting him, which also is his own weakness as Akiyama's strategies are far more flexible than that and also make it easy for him to identify who to take down).

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I see this conflict as a rather personal one at this stage of the manga...each side tries to crush the other...Yokoya is obvious, but if Nao crushes Yokoya, then it will mean that she will have changed Yokoya...so I think Yokoya is pretty equal to Akiyama, despite the goals of each side...the LG is just a tool to defeat the other...

New Reply