Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The RPG thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlB's Avatar
    Country
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The RPG thread

Meh, I kept my hopes up till the end, though
    Here's some interesting moment: Knight-Commander Meredith of Templars asked me to hunt down three apostates and I said "No", said "go **** yourself", I don't do your dirty job" or smth like that and what do you know.... I still had to do the quest - so much for choices It's the same as if you had said "no" to andrastian dwarf in Orzammar and still would have gotten his damn quest!

Oh well, at least they modified the dialogue wheel, and I no longer have to fear for my Shepard Hawke to say "F**K off" instead of "leave me alone, please".

Completed it second time only for the sake of importing saves to DA3, which I hope will be better than this.
    Honestly, they just shouldn't have made DA:Origins such an awesome game LOL.

I also hope that Mass Effect 3 will compensate.
    Last edited by AlB; April 11, 2011 at 02:10 PM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They're making a Persona 4 anime

I think with my heart and I move with my head | My Stories Archive - Short Story: "Life According to an Onion" UP!

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like a persona 3 one more just because I didn't play 4.
    sorry for being selfish

I hope the adaption will be a huge success, if I remember, trinity soul wasn't as good but then it wasn't an adaption either.

Anyway, good news !

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cracker's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Rpgs are a genre I truly enjoy, sometimes you just like to get away from reality and help save world/galaxy/universe you know? lol

Most recent Rpg I've played was Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (LOL...replay)

Most recent new rpg I've played was FF 13...waiting on Katrine to come across

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member redcorpse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i really really love rpgs .. i mostly play rpgs
    i enjoy the smt-games, p3 and p4's social aspect is annoying though

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foobar View Post
    i really really love rpgs .. i mostly play rpgs
    i enjoy the smt-games, p3 and p4's social aspect is annoying though

You're a chick, the idea of dating 3-5 girls at once wasn't probably all that appealing lol

But yeah it was hard but also interesting and for me a welcomed change and it didn't exactly take away from the storyline or anything

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member g0dzax's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished Dragon Age 2 twice now.Got to say,I'm kinda dissappointed about Dragon Age 2.I agree with AlB,they shouldn't have made Origins so great,they should've known that there's the risk that DA 2 will not rise up to the expectations of the fans of DA:O.And to be honest,IMHO it didn't rise to my expectations.

First thing I'm gonna talk about is the graphic part of the game.IMO it is not a huge difference between DA:O and DA 2.Minor changes there and there,but mostly,it's the same graphics as in DA:O.Improved by a little bit,however even though it's been improved little,it requires quite a powerful pc to run at max details.The only MAJOR thing that made me a little bit mad was the fact that almost EVERY location in DA 2 is THE SAME >.<' .And I really mean it,every door,windows,whatsover is the same.Every freakin' dungeon is the same,doesn't matter you enter a dungeon in Kirkwall or enter a dungeon outside the town(forgot that name's place),it's the same.Sometimes,at first you might notice that it's not the same...well,cuz it's not.Some dungeons (or places)are INVERTED,yeah just like that.I first noticed when I had finished killing everyone in a dungeon and exited it.Upon entering another dungeon,I freakin' entered the dungeon through the exact place I exited the last dungeon.Freakin' awesome.Not.

Second,the gameplay.This is where the improvement is most noticeable.The attacks are a bit more diversed,and they're not so monotone like in DA:O (play with a mage in DA:O and then play with a mage in DA 2 and you'll notice the differences).Overall,the gameplay was improved,yet still one thing I missed dearely in DA 2 are the spells combos.Always playing a mage in games,I like to combine my spells,to be as devastative as possible.However,in DA 2 we no longer have the ability to combine spells and such,instead a new system has been implemented : cross-class combo.Basically(just like the name says) it's a combo you can do with different classes(eg: mage uses spells,leaves enemy disoriented -> warrior uses ability which inflicts 50% damage on disoriented enemies, and so on).A poor system,since the cross-class combo can only be used ONCE (meaning,after the warrior strikes the disoriented enemy,he's no longer a valid target for cross-class combo),a one-hit combo.Lame.

The music and the sounds within the game were,IMHO,pretty useless.I only heard music when fighting(wonder why the rest of the game,when I wasn't fighting,I didn't hear a single music),and they're...ok for the atmosphere of the game.Not too diversed,I think I heard in a session of playing @5 hours the same music fifty times.Not too good.But overall,the sound part of the game was mediocre.Just like the game itself.

Now,about the last thing I'll discuss: the atmosphere of the game.Almost non existant,IMHO.There is no sense of rush(like in DA:O),there is no sense of choice(regardless of your choices,you end up on the same ending,there's only 1 ending),you might as well kill everyone and feel no remorse,since the ending is the same.Also,it's not got that ....eerie atmosphere like the first DA,where you could feel the atmosphere flowing into you...

So,compared to DA:O,DA 2 is a very mediocre game,that it simply not as good as the first one.If you compare,however,DA 2 with other RPG's,you'll be astonished to remark that it's actually a very good RPG.

Now,I can barely wait to sink my teeth in The Witcher 2.MAN,the gameplay's on youtube are pure awesomeness,I guess I'll buy the Collector's Edition,though I'm not sure.Still,it's SO awesome,the graphics are MUCH better that DA 2(at first sight),the gameplay is SO better that DA 2 (at first sight),and the maturity of the game plus the choices you make in the game really matter(unlike DA 2).Gosh,I'm over-excited about this game.I even forgot I've got a pretty weak pc.

Edit : I'll recomend a classic RPG for you guys,that's actually got a bit of an adventure taste to it : Septerra Core Legacy Of The Creator.I think I'll actually start the game again,at first I found it impossible to play the game,but after gaining courage,I played it and I have to admit,it's story is really awesome,the gameplay is quite classic,the graphics are pretty good for the year it was launched,what kept me playing was the story and the feeling,the atmosphere of the game.I'm really into that game.

PS : Might as well play Planescape: Torment until other good RPGs appear.That game's considered the father of RPGs.
    Last edited by g0dzax; April 15, 2011 at 02:23 PM.

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I play a ton of RPG's. No MMO's though. When i play RPG's i like the experience to be like reading a good novel. If i want to do social gaming i perfer stuff like MAG.

My absolute favorite game is.....
    • Final Fantasy 7
      First RPG i ever played and quite possible my favorite RPG of all time. I also liked 6 & 8(i suspect i'll like 5 but i haven't played it yet), the rest though i thought were pretty much garbage. All style over substance with no sense of immersion.

My second favorite is a game i would bet nobody remembers but me....
    • Vanguard Bandits
      It was a bit like Fire Emblem crossed with Escaflone(sword fighting mechs). It had a great and widely branching story line and for the ps1 game the graphics looked great.

Other RPG's i play or have played are.
    • Suikoden Series
      The 1st game was great. The 2nd game had the best story in any RPG i've ever played. 3rd was decent. 4th was bad. 5th was good but not great. Capcom hasn't quite been able to catch the same magic since those first two games, hope they keep trying though.
    • Valkyrie Chronicles
      I liked the first game but felt it was too linear. Then the second game came along and used base management to prevent the plot from feeling that way, while retaining all the things that made the first game fun. Much like portable ops and peace walker did for metal gear.
    • Mass Effect
      Loved 1 and 2. Was a little disappointed in the inventory system and the lack of much equipment as compared to the first game. I know they did it for the sake of streamlining but it feels like the second game lost a little something due to that. Even with that said however i think Mass Effect 2 is easily the best sci-fi rpg ever made.
    • Dragon Age
      Loved Dragon Age Origins. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Dragon Age 2. I ended up loving the way they story focused on the prebuilt character of Hawke(thought i would hate that but the story just flowed much more naturally with things that way) and i loved the new visual style of the combat interface. I hated the inventory system(or lack there of), that they removed spell combos, the redone abilities/leveling system, and most of all the lackluster characters. Their is 1 or 2 good party members the rest just seemed semi-boring(i miss Shale)
    • Gothic 1&2 / Riven
      They are basically all the same game. And i've enjoyed all of them. Far from flawless but where other games go for visuals these games go with immersion. I like that.
    • Disgaea
      1st one was great. 2nd one was great. 3rd one was terrible. Bad visuals(it's like they ported a psp game to the ps3 and hoped nobody would notice), uninteresting story, weak characters.

• Fire Emblem
      I've always liked these games but i think Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones was by far the best. Giving you an actual world map to explore made the experience so much more immersive.

• Baldur's Gate.
      It's pretty much the origin point of all the KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights style games. And it was a work of art. Too bad it looks so dated now a days.

I'm sure there are many more but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.
    Last edited by Jammin; May 06, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Fire Emblem. Mostly the handheld ones though, Fire Emblem for GBA is still my favourite. Nergal was a much better villain then Leon, but some of the mechanics for Sacred Stones was better. I loved the Wyvern Knight Class, was so much more reliable than the Lords.

And Escaflowne was a pretty good anime movie, kudos.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah Fire Emblem... I started Sacred Stones not too long ago, but since my psp is down,I haven't had the chance to continue. Shinning Force for sega was kinda hard

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You know something that has always struck me as great about the Fire Emblem series is the way the epilogue is handled. Going over each of the many character individually and showing the results of whatever relationship stuff you developed during your play-through.

Suikoden does the same thing, and for 108 characters that's takes quite a while, it's a pity they have never incorporated any of the branching relationship stuff that Fire Emblem uses. If a Suikoden game did that it might dethrone FF7 on my favorite games list.

Oh some other RPG's i enjoyed that just came to mind are.
    • The Witcher
      It was a good game, story-wise, through the combat system seemed thoroughly broken to me. I'm really looking forward to the new one next week. It looks like they really worked to elevate the presentation of the series to a new level of quality. Should be fun.
    • Elder Scrolls Morrowind & Oblivion
      These game are kinda the ultimate fantasy Sandbox. The actual stories i think are kinda bad but when it comes to just sheer fun with magic and stuff it's hard to beat something like Oblivion when you've applied a ton of mods to it. Of which there are many.
    • Tales series(as in Tales of Destiny, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Legendia, etc..)
      Just a reliable series of JRPG's. They haven't really changed much since the first Tales of Destiny game came out but the basic formula still works for me.
    • Breath of Fire series
      I loved the 1st and liked the second. The stories were good and combat was really fun, and rather stylish. Then the 3rd came along and ruined everything. Applied a terrible art style, moved the entire story underground, and made the whole experience linear.
    • Vandal Hearts series
      This is kinda the prototype series for dark themed JRPG's. Despite being so very dark, the stories were really good in the first 2 games. It's a pity the art style has always been a bit...well bad.
    • Lunar series
      Sorta the ultimate classic RPG to me. It's really a simple kind of story but it has such charm. The first game was so good they have re-released it like a half dozen times times now and the second one was good too. Which causes me to wonder, "why haven't they made another of these yet"?. Why the hell is the company that made this wasting it's time making crap like "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Smash up"!
    • Ogre Battle series
      I loved Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle tactics. Never actually played Ogre Battle 64. It's high time Atlus gets started on another one of these games too.
    • Persona series
      Not a huge fan of the first 2 games but Persona 3 and 4 were just awesome. It's like an odd mix of monster rancher and a relationship sim game, and apparently those thing go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    • Ar Tonilico
      It took me a bit to decide whether or not i was going to admit that i play these. Never do i feel quite as ashamed of myself than i do as a grown man walking into a store to pick one of these games up(which i make a point to do, i'm not going to order it through the mail like a pansey). What can i say i like the way the psychological aspect of the game focuses on heroines so intensely(and *cough*all the romance/ecchi doesn't hurt either*cough*).

I'm sure there are even more than that but that's enough for now.
    Last edited by Jammin; May 10, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely loved persona 3 and persona 4, felt like I was playing an anime. The plot (with intrigue and twists), the social aspects ( game mechanic that I enjoyed the most)...it was truly an experience. Talking about those makes me so anxious for persona 5, I can hardly wait.

The tales series was also awesome, I mostly prefer the 2-d ones though. Tales of destiny, tales of phantasia, tales of destiny 2, tales of rebirth etc

Didn't really take to the 3d ones but tales of abyss wasn't too bad, it was good in its own right. I hate symphonia for gamecube though it was terrible -__-

I enjoyed the first 2 breath of fire games as well. I loved the opening sequence to part 2 with the dragon calling you from your sleep and you awake to a dream.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Mass Effect 3 was delayed to Q1 2021...that's partly sad, because we have to wait even more, but it's better in a way, because it won't be rushed...
    That's why the most anticipated game is The Witcher 2...what an awesome game...fangasm all over the place...

I also heard that Brotherhood is not the last installment of Assassin's Creed...never played the last one, so I don't know the ending, but the last installment was announced under the title of Revelations

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Mass Effect 3 was delayed to Q1 2021...that's partly sad, because we have to wait even more, but it's better in a way, because it won't be rushed...
    That's why the most anticipated game is The Witcher 2...what an awesome game...fangasm all over the place...
    Haha, I never believed for a second that Bioware could release a game on the first stated release date. They've never done it before that i can recall and they probably never will. That's just not how they roll.

Never occurred to me for a second that the release date would be anything but a lie.

---------------

As for the Witcher 2, i got it preordered

This second one will be so interesting. The first one was almost entirely made with a modded up version of the engine Bioware developed for Neverwinter Knights. Which resulted in a severe limitation of the quality of what they could do.

This time around the sky's the limit. And if the previews are any indication it's like they might hit that mark.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I just read that both Mass Effect and Dragon Age are going to get anime versions...at least according to Gamespot...opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Haha, I never believed for a second that Bioware could release a game on the first stated release date. They've never done it before that i can recall and they probably never will. That's just not how they roll.

Never occurred to me for a second that the release date would be anything but a lie.

---------------

As for the Witcher 2, i got it preordered

This second one will be so interesting. The first one was almost entirely made with a modded up version of the engine Bioware developed for Neverwinter Knights. Which resulted in a severe limitation of the quality of what they could do.

This time around the sky's the limit. And if the previews are any indication it's like they might hit that mark.
    Hmm...did they do the same thing with Dragon Age 2 as well...IIRC they did not, but then again, I read reviews, so I know it's not that good...

I heard that the witcher 2 will have 16 different endings......that's a lot...talk about complex, choice-heavy gameplay...it will be awesome...I saw gameplay trailers, the graphics will be awesome, now all it's left to see, is the story...
    Last edited by benelori; May 13, 2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New Reply
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast