Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The RPG thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The RPG thread

Male. I always play with the male first if I have a choice. Except in pokemon, cuz the female designs are always better

My brother was pissed, cuz his file also got corrupted lol. It's not the first time though. Restarted that game about 3 times before lol

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I usually play with female characters, at least when it suits better. In WoW for example I always chose male Tauren as it definitly suited the race much better.

In many rpgs, most male characters have quite an ugly face while the female faces are decent at least.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member steelwingcrash1's Avatar
    A place where KHR is number one - in my heart and mind!
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you guys are onto RPG, I really suggest playing Dragon Quest IV. The map and the characters are all fun. The story line is also very good.

Grandia 2 is also very good. For me, it's a step up than its sequel Grandia 3 (still good, though, but 2 was a lot better).

Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno why, but I just cant stand the Dragon Quest series. I a few of them and just cant stand playing them Never tried Grandia though. I'm playing over golden sun

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the first few parts tend to suck, but if you focus on the story line more, I think you'll appreciate it, too. xD

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

only one played is cursed king for ps2..enjoyed it til half way when level up ment hour of grinding for 1 level..and the plot just went missing finished it never went for a 2nd run . not played one since

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member g0dzax's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: The RPG thread

This year seems to be pretty big : titles like Dragon Age 2 , The Witcher 2 , Mass Effect 3 have been announced.Personally,I expect The Witcher 2 to be GOTY since the first one was really cool,it had a really dark atmosphere and an aura of maturity.From the trailers,the second one will be built not on Aurora Engine,but on an engine that they developed.This could mean that the second entry in The Witcher saga will no longer have enourmous loading times at every door.Also,the graphics seem to be improved.About the gameplay,I shall remain pessimist,even though it seems to be improved.Maybe this time,when you run from a monster and it slashes the air with it's claws,your HP won't be drained lol.Also,the attacks seem more natural,they hit the enemy,it doesn't seem to be the clasic swing sword,pierce air,magically drain hp even though it didn't hit the enemy.Another aspect would be the maturity,maybe this time we will get something bigger than just a card

A masterpiece is also Planescape:Torment.A very old game,yet considered to be the best RPG ever made.I also played it and I have to admit,it's story is really awesome,plus some quests are really just awesome.

Launch Dates:

The Witcher 2 - Assasins Of The Kings 17 May 2011

Dragon Age 2 - Europe : 11 Mar 2011
    - USA : 08 Mar 2011

Mass Effect 3 - Q4 2011

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hate to say this but most games these days focus on the graphics more. Of course, graphics DO count in highly attracting players to try out the game. However, most game developers seem to forget that the most important (I believe) are the depth and intricacy of the story.

What I am trying to say is that developers usually go for the physical attraction of players. Developers noticed that the better graphics will attract more curious players. "Hey, the graphics look good. Let's buy this one." And when players start to play the game, they would eventually feel disappointed at all midway because the story/features were not enticing at all.

The bottom line is, instead of focusing merely on the better graphics, developers should focus more on how the game is played, what makes the game tick, etc. instead of focusing on merely the face value of the game.

This is only my personal opinion because most games I buy these days are full load of crap. I really dig the early days of the gaming system such as Final Fantasy 7 and 8 wherein the graphics were not that graphically attractive as compared now, but look, their stories have become timeless legends for us that even transcended for, say, 10 years, I think.

Similarly, Dragon Quest 8 from the PS2, is also a very good story for me. Despite poor graphics (like Dragon Ball's), I was pretty satisfied with how the story progressed because the enjoyment level was totally fun.

Grandia 2 was also a game you can consider to have not-so-fancy graphics when you first look at it. But once you reconsider playing the game, you'll eventually lead yourself to a story full of religious controversies and the like.

Of course, there are also some which have successfully combined ASTOUNDING graphics with ASTOUNDING game play like Final Fantasy 10. It seems even before the PS2 was released, this game's story was highly thought of and planned. Try it and you will not even be disappointed one bit provided you like RPG's.

Again, this is only my personal opinion and I hold no grudges to anyone especially the developers.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I totally get what you mean, but besides the story (which often turn into hollywood cliche stories more and more) there also is a technical aspect:

In many old games there were special tricks which, so to say, abused the game mechanics. In Starcraft: Broodwar there was the "moving shot" for example, which good players could execute by briefly pressing the "hold" command hotkey, causing the unit to decelerate and shoot, and giving a new move order right away. This way a unit was able to shoot without actually decelerating, it looked like they were shooting while continuisly moving.

Or, in Counter-Strike: pressing the "duck" button quickly twice in a row resulted in making a weird kind of little jump. Repeating that quickly while running resulted into running at almost full speed but surpressing foot steps to a minimum. Also came in handy as a great method to run around corners to avoid getting hit in the head right away.
    Just like in Starcraft, it's actually a bug.

Old games used to have a lot of these actual abuses, which, however, defined the way these games were played greatly. Many of such bugs became implemented as actual features into some games as well.
    In old Quake for example, people became faster and faster when jumping forward continuisly (this required very, very precise timing though! A player had to hit the jump button right away when hitting the ground again, a misstiming resulted in total loss of speed). This was later implemented into Quake 2 and Quake 3.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g0dzax View Post
    This year seems to be pretty big : titles like Dragon Age 2 , The Witcher 2 , Mass Effect 3 have been announced.Personally,I expect The Witcher 2 to be GOTY since the first one was really cool,it had a really dark atmosphere and an aura of maturity.From the trailers,the second one will be built not on Aurora Engine,but on an engine that they developed.This could mean that the second entry in The Witcher saga will no longer have enourmous loading times at every door.Also,the graphics seem to be improved.About the gameplay,I shall remain pessimist,even though it seems to be improved.Maybe this time,when you run from a monster and it slashes the air with it's claws,your HP won't be drained lol.Also,the attacks seem more natural,they hit the enemy,it doesn't seem to be the clasic swing sword,pierce air,magically drain hp even though it didn't hit the enemy.Another aspect would be the maturity,maybe this time we will get something bigger than just a card

A masterpiece is also Planescape:Torment.A very old game,yet considered to be the best RPG ever made.I also played it and I have to admit,it's story is really awesome,plus some quests are really just awesome.

Launch Dates:

The Witcher 2 - Assasins Of The Kings 17 May 2011

Dragon Age 2 - Europe : 11 Mar 2011
    - USA : 08 Mar 2011

Mass Effect 3 - Q4 2011
    Mass Effect 3 and The Witcher 2 will be the crown jewels for me...but I'm most excited about Mass Effect
    The story is awesome, the graphics and the feeling that the graphics are transmitting is brilliant...I just like go sightseeing with the Mako or the Hammerhead and watch beautiful valleys, awesome landscapes...this third one seems to be focused on earth, so I'm looking forward to it

Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragon Age 2 is on top of my list. One was an amazing game... I don't really like these kind of RPGs, but DA was really great and I enjoyed it a lot. Never played any Mass Effect or The Witcher, so I don't really know if I'll be getting them.

I'll also be looking forward to Dead Space 2, even though I haven't finished 1 yet

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like 3rd person shooters, then Mass Effect should be okay...it's mainly a 3rd person shooter, with lots of RPG elements incorporated...the graphics are amazing and the controls...well there are some annoying stuff in the first installment, but the 2nd repaired them...

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member g0dzax's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: The RPG thread

Yeah,Mass Effect 3 seems to be a very good candidate to the GOTY.Also,it combines amazing graphics with a very good story and optional quests.However,since it's a 3rd person shooter with RPG elements,I don't think that the gameplay can be improved too much,it will be the classic point and shoot.Maybe they'll introduce hand-to-hand combat and melee combat,it would be awesome.Also,all of the Mass Effect games are really well optimized(Dragon Age too)I could play them on high graphics with a relatively weak computer.And yeah,since it's about Earth,I expect various quests related to earth and other stuff,it's gonna be awesome.Maybe until then I'll upgrade my computer so I can enjoy the graphics.Then again,since it's the last part of the Mass Effect games,they must introduce some new elements.One thing that I hope,after launching the game,I won't hear them talking about Mass Effect 4.The games are great,but I think that they are just interested in making money,not something original.
    Though my favourite one still remains The Witcher 2.I just keep watching the trailers,this game will be awesome.
    Another RPG VERY VERY promising : Diablo 3 .A gameplay : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sssu_9DiW4g&feature=fvst .Diablo 2 was just epic,and I expect this one to be another epic.Expected launch date : Q4 2011.
    I recently finished an RPG : Divinity 2 The Dragon Knight Saga.By some unknown magic,I simply didn't even know that this game existed lol.But,I stumbled across it when I was bored.I was amazed by the graphics,very good,though the story is not that great,it is decent enough.I spent more than 60 hours playing this game which I recommend for everyone.Very good graphics,decent gameplay,decent storyline,decent sound.One of the best moments in the games is actually in the latest part of the game,close to the ending.
    A trailer to this game : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aYXDWXFYFk.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2.

It's disappointing me a little bit in the RPG part to be honest. The "skill trees" aren't worth to be called such, it's really down to the very basics. I think the upgrade system is fine though.

Still, it has a very good gameplay and is really enjoyable to play. It keeps me motivated to play on and has good characters (even if it's perhaps even too much?). However, I had liked if it would deliver a stronger RPG focus. I think the combat system itself is fine -even if it's very easy for experienced shooter players to deliver lots of headshots and to get through very easily even on highest difficulty- but it might've profited of more different spells.

I'm also not much of a fan of this kind of health/shield system. For those who didn't play it: There are four kinds of health/shields (Health, Armor, Shields, Barrier) which all pretty much work the same way. Characters have rather few survivability, but regenerate in a few seconds once they didn't suffer any damage for approximately five seconds. This counts for every type of health.
    Armor, Shields and Barriers also block certain spells. Basically every spell works against health, but many don't against one or more types of shields etc. I don't specifically like it. Once an enemy is down to health only, he's dead after one or two headshots anyways.

As a player with a lot of experience in shooter games I picked the soldier class. I don't see how any other class could keep up with the pure damage output of a sniper/assault rifle with fire ammo (+60% weapon damage over 3 seconds) and that slow-motion skill (which pretty much guarantees 100% headshots for the time active). Just adding skills like +Assault weapon damage and +50% headshot damage for sniper rifles, and the highest difficulty is a piece of cake.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if I'm really looking forward to Dragon Age 2.
    The first one didn't impress me like I expected and the writing isn't that good either, I don't know if I'll be getting 2 until the reviews are up.

Star Ocean is a game I recommend to check it out, esp Star Ocean 2. I think the star ocean series deserves more attention .
    Well, for people who played the Last hope..it was okay, not really good in the story development but the previous 2 games were great.

I'm the kind that chooses story over graphics, so yeah, the story is a crucial factor and is also one of the reason why I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7 so much and also the prequel, Crisis Core. Whoa, those 2 were so long ago.

I'm also not one of those that likes Dragon Quest because of the frustrating battle system and characters that I'll never warm up too.

Which means that gameplay is another factor for me, as long as the gameplay is good, I'll be sitting through the game for a long time.
    Take Zelda series on the ds for example, never really like the combat system the first time but the simplicity grew on me and the puzzles+rpg made me love the game so much.
    Looking forward to Ocarina of time on the 3DS !

I also heard Persona 3 being mentioned and I agree that it is epic. Just finished it months ago with the boy character, never got to using the female's one though. Sometimes I wonder when they will ever release a new Persona game.
    For people who enjoyed P3 and own a DS, I recommend you to check out Shin megami tensei Devil Survivor, it's very similar to P3 IMO and it's a great game.

New Reply
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast