Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2) , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The RPG thread

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member otomo20's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The RPG thread

Is my review for Dragon Age good?

http://game8review.blogspot.com/2013...ns-review.html

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otomo20 View Post
    It could use more polish that's for sure...proof read it again, because there are some grammar/punctuation/phrasing problems. Also it's Ferelden, not Feralden, and it was released for PS3 not PS2.

Other than those minor stuff, you could go a bit deeper into analyzing the dialogue, the dialogue wheel's options, and how they reflect back on you. And since it's an old game, with huge lore and sequel, you could include the DLCs in your review as well.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

First-print copies of Shin Megami Tensei IV will be Limited Edition Box Sets. It will have a Strategy & Design book, a Music Collection CD, and a Collectible Slipcase Packaging.

Nintendo also announced that they will publish Bravely Default in N. America and Europe. The game will be out in 2014.

I think with my heart and I move with my head | My Stories Archive - Short Story: "Life According to an Onion" UP!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should have a Best Video game awards, just to see legions of flames and hate, specially about The Best RPG of all times

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I think we should have a Best Video game awards, just to see legions of flames and hate, specially about The Best RPG of all times
    I think it probably wouldn't come to that...maybe.

Whichever one people think is the best I think it would most likely come out of the few that people just in generally accept as top teir. Final Fantasy's 5-7, Suikoden 2, The Baldur's Gate Series, Dragon Age: Origins, maybe the Witcher 2(wouldn't top my list but I can see where the argument could be made), Fallout 3, KOTOR, and a few others.

In my experience the more, shall we say, "inflamed" conversations about RPG's typically spark up from conversations about more controversial ones, which some gamers think are great and other think suck ballz. Like Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, Final Fantasy 10-13, Fable 2-3, Diablo 3, stuff like that.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe fanboys can be pretty annoying when the best game is at stake, I know it myself
    So many youtube discussions...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I think it probably wouldn't come to that...maybe.

Whichever one people think is the best I think it would most likely come out of the few that people just in generally accept as top teir. Final Fantasy's 5-7, Suikoden 2, The Baldur's Gate Series, Dragon Age: Origins, maybe the Witcher 2(wouldn't top my list but I can see where the argument could be made), Fallout 3, KOTOR, and a few others.

In my experience the more, shall we say, "inflamed" conversations about RPG's typically spark up from conversations about more controversial ones, which some gamers think are great and other think suck ballz. Like Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, Final Fantasy 10-13, Fable 2-3, Diablo 3, stuff like that.
    There are mainly two types of RPG:
    For JRPG, taken into account the available technology at the time, it's between FF6 & Chrono Trigger for me.
    For Occidental RPG, I'll go with Skyrim and Dragon Age Origins.

I don't consider mass effect games to be rpg but Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games I played.

NB: My personal favourite is still FF8 though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Xerous's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the Witcher series I consider it one of the best but that's my opinion

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    There are mainly two types of RPG:
    For JRPG, taken into account the available technology at the time, it's between FF6 & Chrono Trigger for me.
    For Occidental RPG, I'll go with Skyrim and Dragon Age Origins.

I don't consider mass effect games to be rpg but Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games I played.

NB: My personal favourite is still FF8 though.
    I think if you start drawing lines about "types are rpgs" you'll end up with a million categories. So I just toss everything into one pile and pick out what I think is the shiniest.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerous View Post
    What about the Witcher series I consider it one of the best but that's my opinion
    The argument could certainly be made for the Witcher 2 belonging on the list, Witcher 1.... I think probably not.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree but the story from the first makes up for it right? and if not well The Witcher 3 looks good and so does Cyber Punk 2077 so i'm gonna play whatever they release.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xerous View Post
    I agree but the story from the first makes up for it right? and if not well The Witcher 3 looks good and so does Cyber Punk 2077 so i'm gonna play whatever they release.
    It's just my opinion but I think the story is pretty good in both Witcher games the issue is there is the gameplay, and I don't think that's something that ever really be ignored when your talking about the best rpgs. I think the combat in both games was a bit, rough; and in the first downright awful until the patched it up.

I'm hoping The Witcher 3 takes the next step and finds a combat system that actually makes fighting more....fun.

And maybe they will, they have made some other creative decisions that makes me very optimistic about the series. Namely, the choice to go to a more open world. I think that's going to be a good move. One of the only weaknesses in the Witcher series story side of things for me has been the episodic way it changes chapters. Forcing to the player to go from area to area instead of letting the player do the traveling themselves always felt restrictive to me. I think that will allow it to reach a whole new level of immersive gameplay and allow them to make better use of the crafting aspects of the game.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping The Witcher 3 takes the next step and finds a combat system that actually makes fighting more....fun.
    Can you elaborate on that?

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just my opinion but I think the story is pretty good in both Witcher games the issue is there is the gameplay, and I don't think that's something that ever really be ignored when your talking about the best rpgs. I think the combat in both games was a bit, rough; and in the first downright awful until the patched it up.

And maybe they will, they have made some other creative decisions that makes me very optimistic about the series. Namely, the choice to go to a more open world. I think that's going to be a good move. One of the only weaknesses in the Witcher series story side of things for me has been the episodic way it changes chapters. Forcing to the player to go from area to area instead of letting the player do the traveling themselves always felt restrictive to me. I think that will allow it to reach a whole new level of immersive gameplay and allow them to make better use of the crafting aspects of the game.
    I thought Witcher 2 had nice gameplay but that's my opinion and I am excited that hunting has been truly integrated into the game I can't to try it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

It's strange...I don't find the Witcher series all that good...tried 1 and 2 but they never seemed like what people made it out to be. I have the same problem with almost all WRPGs... Dragon Age is the only one I really loved and played more than once. I have no idea why

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Can you elaborate on that?
    Sure in the first Witcher game it was basically an adapted point and click type attack system from mmo's but adapted to be an action interface by making it relent on combat styles and timed clicks on enemies. The system was bad enough at least two friends of mine didn't finish the game because they couldn't stand the combat.

The second Witcher game stepped out from under that a little and made fights more dynamic by removing the timed clicks as well as the combat styles but seemed to have some new issues with control of the character in combat. The first issue I had were that swordfights have been simplified to light attack and heavy attack button mashing most of the time and the second being that in order to attack a different direction than one your facing you need to move the character to face that way; which combined with havak physics stagger can often it impossible to smoothly turn and engage a new oppenent. That same stagger effect was what made rolling a lot more effective defense that parrying or with your sword. They helped this issue a little when they greatly turned down the stagger in the Witcher 2 Enhanced conversion, but the basic issue is still there.

----------------------------------------------------------

Some basic improvements I'd like to see them make in The Witcher 3 would be to them reintroduce styles(without the timed button clicks this time), remove the havok stagger for all but enemies big attacks (and maybe arrows), allow attack direction to be dictated by camera facing(at least as a menu option), increase the swordfight difficulty, improve the fight AI (have enemies try to circle behind you), make magic more powerful and more varied, and completely redo the ranged attack system from the ground up.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Whoa! Where did this game come from?

Spoiler: Mars War Logs show

I looked in the steam store this morning and saw an RPG I'd never even heard of before. A cyberpunk no less. And it looks pretty cool too. Anybody know anything about it?

Because it might just be the thing that pulls me away from playing way to much of Defiance.(Not a great game, but I'm loving it anyhow)
    Last edited by Jammin; April 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM.

New Reply
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast