Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: (500) - Best Birthday Ever!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

(500) - Best Birthday Ever!

This is my third Chapter Review.
    I request that you read on with an open mind and ready sense of humor.

CHAPTER 500: "THE BIRTH OF NARUTO"

Happy Birthday! ...you sick bastard monsterchild!

It's April 4th, 1992. I couldn't sleep. Why? I'm not sure, anymore. It may have been the armageddon-sized swarm of locusts that decided our backyard pear tree would be its vessel of deliverance, trying to start a screamo band; perhaps it was my stupid fucking pajamas, which itched like a son of a bitch. I don't know why my parents made me wear those stupid things, particularly in the summer. Good call, parents. More likely, however, it was because this particular night fell into a very important date on the calendar. It was the day that I was going to get a Hungry, Hungry Hippo for my birthday! I loved the commercials as a kid, and always wanted to slap my hand on a plastic handle repeatedly to make my hippo eat the most plastic food, and by God I wouldn't let up until my hippo had type-2 diabetes!

As I scraped the bicycle-pattern wrapping paper off of an unusually tall package, I likely pondered to myself what the box could possibly have inside along with the board game. It had to have been some sort of Limited Collector's Edition (before Limited or Collector's Editions of anything were put into production), because, obviously, there is no way my parents could possibly not get me the right toy. I practically ate like a hippo in anticipation!

Look what the fuck I got instead...

We've all had at least one bad birthday experience in our lives at some point. If you haven't, trust me, it's coming. In fact, I highly suggest that you sabotage your own birthday in a significant enough way to make the balance of karma go, "Oh man, nevermind," when it's about to swoop down at you Lost-Smoke-Monster-Style and pass judgment that has exponentially increased throughout the years. Metaphysical chicken pox. Bad stuff.

Seriously though, those of you who didn't get your 4G 128GB iPhones, Playstation 3s, or that brand new car you were expecting for your birthday, and had the gall to fume about it, desperately need to consider Naruto's situation. This past chapter covers a number of different plot points, one of which starts into the details of the immediate events following Naruto's birth. Suffice it to say, Naruto would be happy to get a Mr. Bucket instead of a Hungry, Hungry Hippo, or even instead of a MacBook Pro if it meant his parents could give it to him...

Young Lily, angry that she didn't get her Barbie for Christmas, is stubbornly ignoring her father's affectionate attempts to make her happy. The girl, aged 4, clearly has a wonderfully preemptive head start on becoming a total fucking bitch.

Those of you to which this applies need to stop reading this chapter review right this second, go find your parents, and give them a loving hug. Then come back and finish reading the review. Make sure you do that second part, it's really important. In fact, if it's between the two, just finish reading the review -- chances are you won't lose your parents to sealing ninjutsu within the next hour.

So, readers, as the gravity of this chapter is particularly heavy on the hearts of Naruto's character, as well as us, the audience, I feel somewhat responsible for your well-being here. Thus, I feel a need to prepare you for what is presented in Chapter 500 (even though you've, hopefully, already read it).

Brace yourselves, folks.

There...are no words... except for the words used to declare that there...just aren't words.

Okay, so it's not as bad as the above image implies (as there is no Kyuubi-Kushina or Kyuubi-Kushina-Minato action actually going on here), but I would imagine that most people would join me in asserting how unbelievably disturbing the above sequence of panels actually is. While the above image does not depict any sort of sick threesome, or the Kyuubi finally losing his long-preserved virginity to a being capable of suppressing its chakra enough to allow for such an event (hey, there's always hope as long as Sasuke's around), it does, however, depict an unimaginable degree of pain that Kushina, like Mito before her (the first Kyuubi Jinchuuriki, who, like Kushina and Naruto, is also an Uzumaki) experienced during childbirth. Keep in mind here... Kushina is a kunoichi. A kunoichi who taught the Fourth Hokage one of his most notorious skills: sealing ninjutsu. It is obvious that the Bloody Habanero is no pushover to pain. We've seen nin move through near-severed limbs, impalement, and other forms of vicious violence that would cause unheard of amounts of pain.

It is Naruto's birth, however, that brings Kushina to such heightened distress.

Though us men are so adamant about pointing out to women that they can not possibly understand the pain of being kicked in the balls, we, in turn, have absolutely no measurable notion of what a woman has to go through in order to push an entire several-pound baby out of her netherparts. As if that weren't enough, Kushina, again like Mito, further suffered as her energy shifted from securing the seal to baby Naruto, leaving her seal at its weakest, allowing the Kyuubi to force his power against the caged walls of Kushina's secondary Kyuubi-Womb.

Hell, I was half-expecting her to deliver the damned Kyuubi itself given its shared distress with Kushina. Totally a mother-child connection going on there.

Naruto feels the same way sasuke does about Konoha now.

Many fans seem to think that Minato was downplayed a significant amount in this chapter, for a number of reasons, one of them being that Kushina revealed that it is she who taught Minato a repertoire of sealing ninjutsu from which the Four-Symbol Sealing method was derived. I don't know about that. Minato was a hailed genius, and whether his sealing jutsu were flat out given to him, or he altered them for his own purposes, Minato showed some pretty awesome characteristics this chapter, too.

Somehow able to suppress his worry for his dear wife, Minato kept her seal in-tact as she continued on in labor. Minato has got to be the best childbirth cheerleader, ever.

On second thought, the idea of Minato shooting a reptilian lizard-spear out of the palm of his hand and into Kushina to pull Naruto out of the womb is pretty damned barftastic.

As Naruto arrived into the arms of Kushina's caretakers, Minato stood almost dumbfounded at the birth. Kushina, now in tears, glanced over at her infant son, euphoric that she was now able to see him.

Even though Kushina and Minato have both seen Naruto in the present, it is a satisfying feeling, knowing that both of them were still alive and well to see Naruto's face during his birth, rather than the highly-discussed theory that Kushina met her fate during the childbirth itself. At least, for a few moments in time, they were a family. Shame there wasn't some fanservice picture of Minato and Kushina together, cuddling Naruto in their arms.

But then, I suppose if that were the case, they likely wouldn't have let their son go on-sale for a five-finger discount.

The Senju and the Uzumaki are blood relatives.

Kushina explains Naruto's heritage, belonging to the Uzumaki clan of the "Eddys" village, one with close ties to those of the Leaf. It is here that sealing techniques were most prominent. In fact, they were so prominent that the entire village was destroyed for it.

Remember Madara's comparison of Sasuke and Naruto as Senju and Uchiha... and furthermore, the two sons of the Rikudou Sennin? Apparently, it was literal. Naruto being blood-related to the Senju means that he is also a descendant of the Rikudou Sennin, which furthermore makes Naruto's little Rikudou-dressup fit during his sealing of the Kyuubi all the more mysterious.

It will be interesting to see how this link develops as the manga goes on. We've seen Naruto representing the character of the Rikudou Sennin in the past, rather than, particularly, one of the sons... so it is hard to truly say what all of these new revelations of Naruto's use of the Rikudou's sealing method and the chakra jumpsuit actually means in relation to these history lessons, if there really is a significant development coming at all (after all, Naruto has always been a "Fuck Destiny" kind of manga).

Additionally, however, it kickstarted the question of how much "Madara" actually knew. Did he know that Naruto was a blood relative of the Senju / Rikudou Sennin when he told him his little tale? How could he? This is further questioned as the chapter continues.

Tobi, the masked man, knows more than we thought...

Kushina begins to explain to Naruto what actually happened that resulted in the Kyuubi's release and subsequent rampage, and it is this particular detail that gives us readers a lot to think about regarding the character of Tobi, the masked man.

Somehow, Tobi, a purported former Mizukage, the purported Uchiha legend, Uchiha Madara, the man whose body seems reparable with Zetsu-goo, the man who manipulates rather than battles himself, somehow knew about Kushina being the jinchuuriki. What's more, he knew where Kushina would be during childbirth, and most of all, he somehow knew that they were protecting her in this location because her Uzu-borne sealing technique held a significant weakness during childbirth, a detail that is very likely incredibly secret to practitioners of Whirlpool and few relational nin of Konohagakure, given how dumbfounded Kushina seems to be about how he knew.

Altogether, Mr. Tobi-san up there has had some interesting responses from the community regarding his identity in lieu of the explanation of the Uzumaki clan, the Eddy Village, and Uzu Shi Gakure no Sato. One of the biggest points of discussion right now is the apparent "age" of Tobi / Madara. Somehow, he is able to recall an uncanny and accurate account of incredibly old events. His face is at least partially wrinkled. If he truly is the actual, or an incarnation of Uchiha Madara, he is an entity that spans over one hundred years.

What sort of explanation fits both his lengthy existence as well as his knowledge of an apparently secret detail regarding the Whirlpool jinchuuriki seal? Members of the Whirlpool Country are blessed with longevity in life, and likely, as well, the knowledge of the ins and outs of their sealing techniques. Because of this, many seem to be subscribing to this notion that Tobi may very well be a nin from Whirlpool himself. After all, what is the importance of Kushina explaining the longevity if Kishi didn't find it at least somewhat significant to the story? Perhaps it is simply foreshadowing that Naruto will live for a long time. In a way, it would sort of fit the ideal perception of him being the "new Rikudou Sennin".

Regardless, I feel that Kushina's expression of how it was odd that Tobi knew, and about the Eddy nin having long lifespans will likely be expounded upon at some point in the future, whether they wind up being related or not.

This would have been a cool way for Naruto to have gotten his "whiskers".

It is interesting how synonymous Naruto and Sasuke's histories (and current events) are becoming. Sasuke had a family, and then lost them. Naruto lost his family before having the chance to have it, and then gains that feeling later on.

Sasuke's family is abused by Konoha. Naruto's family is used by Konoha as "sacrifices" for jinchuuriki hosts. Sasuke is delving further into hate, and Naruto is delving further into peace. The big thing in common at the end of the list?

Madara is, in some fashion, directly responsible for the deaths of both Naruto's and Sasuke's families.

While there would certainly be a significant amount of redemption between the two of them for this to happen... I feel like this might be the factor that brings Sasuke and Naruto together in a joint effort in the end. That is, of course, assuming Naruto shares all of this with Sasuke at some point; I'll admit it seems to be wishful thinking.

On that note, however, it has become increasingly obvious throughout these revelations regarding Konohagakure that much of the village's practices are incredibly questionable. I don't think Naruto has quite yet realize just how much he's going to have to / want to change regarding Konoha in order to make things peaceful and "fair" for everyone.

It is because of this that I am still holding the hope in my heart that Naruto will leave Konoha, effectively becoming a missing-nin, in his own quest to seek out justice and peace. I can dream!

So, while this chapter touched on a number of different plot devices, many of which have plagued the minds of Narutards for years, I feel that it served as an opener for what will hopefully be next week's elaboration on the full events that transpired that night.

Needless to say, Naruto had a pretty shitty birthday... and I don't think he's celebrated since.
    Last edited by Jspot; July 02, 2010 at 07:35 AM.
    Chapter 500 Review <--- My third Naruto chapter review!
    Spoiler show

2. Thanks 19 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlB's Avatar
    Country
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: (500) - Best Birthday Ever!

wow man that was awesome review I laughed like crazy

well for one thing this chapter confirmed Naruto's relation to Senju Clan and therefore the Sage of Six Paths. so it's clear now: younger bro - Uzumaki, Senju. older bro - Uchiha. the only loose end left is Nagato and I hope we'll get some heads up about his lineage.

with every chapter the certainty of Tobi being Madara is decreasing. you made very interesting points about Tobi's relation to Eddy village (WTF? couldn't kishi come up with a better name for a settlement? O_o) and I hope that next chapter Minato is going to knock that annoying mask off the mad bastard's face

thnx and keep up the good work oh and don't be too hard on young Lily, she's only 4

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Alterno's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

This is "NOT" a review... is a lesson of life using a chapter of the manga. I hope many people get to read this because seriously would make people think a lot of things, especially for us, as men. Is true that woman will never know the pain we feel when kicked in the balls, but I would not trade that for the pain of childbirth.

Maybe some will say.. well the pain of Kushina was above normal and you will never see a woman in such pain like the one Kishimoto just presented... reconsider checking some video about this subject and the if you feel that you can say the same, post it.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Made some changes to the review to better personify the importances of the chapter, rather than just have a slew of satire. I try to entertain with my reviews, but I guess I got a bit carried away this time.
    Last edited by Jspot; July 02, 2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Chapter 500 Review <--- My third Naruto chapter review!
    Spoiler show

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked how you thought of some things, the way I did...Naruto and Sasuke parallel, but even the kick in the balls, pain of birth...awesome...guess great minds think alike
    Nice review, good humor...cheers

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn't mention one thing I found sort of interesting in this chapter. Naruto and Sasuke's moms were friends. Not only that, they seemed to hope that their sons would be friends as well. It's another thing that I have to think about with Sasuke, and I suspect something that will become another contrast with Naruto. When it comes to Sasuke, he always dwells on the negative things relating to his clan. But I think Naruto will focus on the positive. Whereas Sasuke would be all, GRR, those bastards bringing my mom to the village just to seal the Kyuubi in her, I'll kill them all, Naruto will focus instead on how it let her find love and happiness. Another thing to note. The first Jirunchiki for the Kyuubi was a volunteer. I think this is the only host we've ever seen who wasn't forced. And she outright tells Kushina that it isn't neccisarly a bad life.
    So how did Madara find out? Well lets look at just who knew what was going on shall we. The Third Hokage, the Elders, and I would assume a bunch of Anbu were able to figure something out when given the assignment. I think there was a leak. We've seen that when it comes to the treatment of Naruto, the elders can be stupid. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were like that during Kushina's days. I suspect they told Danzo, who may have leaked it to Madara. If I remember correctly their was some mention of the two knowing each other.
    Actually Madara would be related to the Hidden Eddy. So the longevity may not have been exclusive to that part of the family. Also Madara predates the current ninja villiage system. So he may have known the Clan that became the hidden eddy.

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member weehoo107's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This was epic win. That totally made my day, dude.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes very well done indeed, but I was thinking about the longivity and special chakra they spoke of.
    Maybe thats why, when forcefully tranforming in the kyuubi he can stand it, and they say it would shorten his lifespan but he probably already has an extra long lifespan because of his mother so maybe thats what Kishi was trying to tell us, caus there have been discussions about that since Yamato said the KB's chakra was like poison when he hit Sakura. What do you think?

New Reply