Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mana the earl?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner marmalah's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Mana the earl?

Alright! I have a theory that I'd like to share. ^^
    Many people are concerned about, if the Earl is in fact Mana, how it would be possible since they were in the same place at the same time when Mana was called back as an akuma. It's still possible! (or maybe I'm just really crazy) When Allen called Mana back, he called back his soul into the akuma, which was then going to kill Allen to wear as a skin (sounds super creepy..). What if the Earl is only wearing Mana's skin, like an akuma? Because why couldn't the Earl do the same thing as akuma, which he creates?
    In Hoshino's one shot, Continue, SPOILER KINDA the Earl takes over the main characters best friend. So who's to say that the Earl in D. Gray-Man can't do the same? So it's still possible that the Earl is Mana, or vica versa, just not the Mana that we know (technically). So the Earl is just using Manas body. I'm not sure how he could've gotten it if it was buried, but maybe he took it after Allen called Mana back. I'm sure if it is in fact what happened, Hoshino will have some kind of explanation. xD
    A lot of people have stated why. Maybe because he thought it would make Neah want to join him again, cause he was talking about wanting to be by his side? Maybe he has crazy reasoning that, if he looked like Neah's brother, that would make the 14th more willing to join him again instead of try to kill him. Or maybe it was because it would make it harder for Neah/Allen to kill him? I thought it was interesting that neither the 14th nor Allen has seen the Earl in his human form yet. Cross did say that when Allen became the 14th, he would have to kill someone that he loved. Allen loves Mana more than anyone else! And the 14th wants to kill the Earl to become him. So it makes sense.
    And that's just my two cents on it. :b

also, I've always imagined like, towards the end of a chapter where Allen encounters the Earl, he'd be in his human form and Allen would be like, "Mana...?"

And I've also wondered, why does Mana have golden eyes? It said so quite a few times in Lost Fragment of Snow... there can't be two more Noahs that no one knew about, right? That's been really bugging me.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Alert's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this is old, but this is what I thought when I read the manga. Sometime when people translate it's hard to really read the actual meaning, and as I said, every post is their opinion.
    Mana was indeed a Noah, and was also a fake father of Allen. The person in Allen was suppose to be the next king or something, but he ran away. The Earl knows a lot about Mana and the other boy of Allen. Allen is supposedly be the 14th Noah. His real family is a mystery and most likely Allen is the humanoid form of the 14th. As I watch or read the manga/anime, it shows that Allen only remembers the night of his abandonment and the kill of Mana; anything beyond who he was or where he came from was a mystery. I think that the 14th is Allen and that he sealed his memory.
    I like your smile. C:

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Roux23's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! he is going to turn out to be the Earl. In the chapter Wisley they Noah with the eye on his forehead appears it shows all the Noahs and list their number and name, after seeing what the Earl looks like after 35 years he asks Road what was wrong with his face/body. It then shows an image of a normal boy in maybe about his teens or early twenty's, and Road says "I forgot what his face looks like". Then later on in the chapter called Truth I think Cross tells Allen how he is related to the 14th along with Mana. When it shows the picture of Mana and Neah standing side by side, they are the same height so I believe they are going to turn out to be twins also. When you see that picture you can def tell its the same boy in the picture that was supposed to be the Earls true form in the previous chapter. This also would connect the dots on why Allen ends up with the same sword as the Earl. In chapter 214 I think it shows Allen offering his body to Neah who is against the wall holding the same sword Allen pulls out of his arm, it would make sense to me that Mana/Earl have the black sword and then Alllen/Neah have the blue sword because they where brothers, which makes more sense when the Earl gets all emotional with wanting the 14th to come back to him so he can be close with him again. I just hope in chapter 218 when it shows some more Allen scenes that the Earl shows up looking like Mana.

---------- Post added December 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was December 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM ----------

even more reason to think so!

Cross " What if I told you that you will have to kill someone you love when you become the 14th"

Allen wants to kiill the Earl and so does the 14th, the only person Allen loves is Mana.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay so just to reiterate, until the last week or so I had no idea this theory existed before chapter 218 came out. It was the latest chapter that made some folks on another forum and I start to think Mana = Earl is plausible. I wondered if others might have started to think so from chapter 187 onward but this thread started in 2010? Yikes...

Anyway here is my version of our independently-thought-up theory:
    Spoiler show

--UPDATES--

Added July 1, 2014:
    Mana & Earl & Darkness

Spoiler: earlier updates show

Spoiler: @RandomCuteOtaku show
    Last edited by kannazuki; July 01, 2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Mana/Earl 'darkness' update

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 8 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, if earl does go through bodies, maybe the last earl was the campbell head
    the earl started having problems when he transfered to mana

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner anyoneforthe's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the idea of Mana being the Earl ... 'cause I don't know - more drama. Like the series started with Allen destroying Mana and ends in a similar manner.
    But if Mana is the Earl, who did Allen turn into an akuma?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was still Mana, and that a piece of his soul simply got separated from within the Earl. I'm going to add some stuff about the concept of "dolls" in DGM to my post when I can. One of the original titles in consideration for this series was "Dolls" after all. From Lala, to what Road did to Lenalee on Allen's first mission with her, to Allen's innocence controlling him (graveyard, Eliade, Level 4 battle), to the Earl, Allen, and Mana all being called "broken dolls" in canon (including the three Reverse novel reference to Mana as a "doll" here, plus manga chapter 198 referring to the Earl and Allen) there's been a LOT of imagery about "dolls" in this series (or "puppets" is another interpretation for the Japanese term being used, "ningyou").
    Last edited by kannazuki; July 11, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if puppets refer to the character having incomplete souls or put under another's will
    the Earl, if he is Mana, is a mad puppet to the Earls memories

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking something along those lines. To me, it seems in many events in which people seem manipulated or controlled, it's related to the "dolls" or "puppets" theme.
    Last edited by kannazuki; July 21, 2013 at 06:12 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Add to the similarity between chapter 218 and chapter 118, I can't believe in DGM's coincidence anymore

Spoiler show

The Earl in chapter 118 ,however, was just a hallucination from Road.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Isn't that just the shirt the Earl's always got under his overcoat though? You get a good view of it in chapter 188, for example.

Also, you know I tried and tried but can't find an image of the Earl anywhere in 118. Can someone tell me where to find it in the chapter/extras?

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    Hmm. Isn't that just the shirt the Earl's always got under his overcoat though? You get a good view of it in chapter 188, for example.

Also, you know I tried and tried but can't find an image of the Earl anywhere in 118. Can someone tell me where to find it in the chapter/extras?
    My bad, it was chapter 117...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by non-chan View Post
    Add to the similarity between chapter 218 and chapter 118, I can't believe in DGM's coincidence anymore

Spoiler show

The Earl in chapter 118 ,however, was just a hallucination from Road.
    I was wondering if anyone else noticed the extra long sleeve. Maybe Road's Hallucination was from around the same time the events of chapter 218 took place. I think she drew clown crown in this fashion as well for a chapter cover with two long sleeves being wrapped around both the black and white swords.
    Last edited by capricorn; December 06, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone explain to me the significance of the long sleeves as you see it and how it relates to the Mana = Earl theory? Is it that the Earl's "suit" might be similar in function to Crown Clown, which has its own will and "takes over" when Allen is incapable of moving on his own (or doesn't want to fight)?

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    Can someone explain to me the significance of the long sleeves as you see it and how it relates to the Mana = Earl theory? Is it that the Earl's "suit" might be similar in function to Crown Clown, which has its own will and "takes over" when Allen is incapable of moving on his own (or doesn't want to fight)?
    Wouldnt think too much about it. If there is something behind it Hoshino will tell us. But until then its guessing.

New Reply
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast