Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Fairy tail character names and their meanings.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Fairy tail character names and their meanings.

I made a list of all the names their meanings and were (i think) they are derived from. Some i think are chosen on purpose, like the elemental 4 others maybe on random. Mira Jane for example was a online name the author came across in a game if im correct so the meaning might not hold any value ^^.

So here goes.

Natsu = Summer.

Lucy = Light.

Gray = Gray-haired.

Erza(Elsa)(Elisabeth) = my god's oath
    Scarlet = red.

Mira, = wonderfull,peace,prosperous.
    Jane = Gods Grace.

Lisanna = Pledged to God.

Makarov (surname) = (greek origin) Makar = happy,blessed.

Kana = one who is powerful.

Wakaba = young leaf.

Jose(Josef) = God will increase. (in other words make rich lol)

Juvia(Lluvia spanish origin) = Rain.

Sol(french) = Soil.

Aria(Italian) = Air.

Layla = Dark Beauty/night.

Bob(robert) = bright flame.

Karen = Pure.

Gerard = Spear,Law.
    Gerald = Spear,Ruler.

Millianna (Milli)= Honney bee. (Anna)= Grace.

Simon/Shimon = to be heard.

Wally(Walter) = Ruler of the army.

Sho = soar,fly.

Fried = free,peace.

Wendy = friend.

Ivan(form of John) = God has graced
    Last edited by ca12nag3; July 19, 2010 at 07:03 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Unlucky Boy's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fairy tail character names and their meanings.

Well Natsu (summer) is another hero named after a season created by Mashima. There were Haru (spring) from Rave, Aki (fall) from Monster soul, and I remember there was someone named Fuyu (winter) but cant remember who it was...

Lucy I heard is called after the The Beatles song "Lucy in the sky with diamonds".

About Makarov, Mashima once said he wanted a name that sounds russian. Ivan is a russian name as well, not sure about Laxus.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Uzbekistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unlucky Boy View Post
    Well Natsu (summer) is another hero named after a season created by Mashima. There were Haru (spring) from Rave, Aki (fall) from Monster soul, and I remember there was someone named Fuyu (winter) but cant remember who it was...

Lucy I heard is called after the The Beatles song "Lucy in the sky with diamonds".

About Makarov, Mashima once said he wanted a name that sounds russian. Ivan is a russian name as well, not sure about Laxus.
    Yeah you are right. Ivan (rus. Иван) commonly used Russian name, the same with Makarov. It's also widely spread ru surname

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Ivan means God is Gracious its a form of the hebrew name John. ^^ ill add it to the list, if any more just say so

Lots of names are prolly chosen for their sound but some are rather peculiar. Specialy Layla.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Layla means night in hebrew, Josef means god will increase or add, Elisabeth is the form of the hebrew Elisheva(my god's oath) and John mean "god has graced"

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the editing well Layla is non hebrew so ill stick with the original on that one.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Unlucky Boy's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca12nag3 View Post
    thanks for the editing well Layla is non hebrew so ill stick with the original on that one.
    Layla is the hebrew word for night. Me and Susanoo are both from Israel and we speak hebrew, we should know...
    I also know a bit arabic and Layla is night in arabic as well. You probably looked on some baby names meaning website, most of them are just wrong with languages other than english.

Anyway most of the name meanings got nothing to do with the characters (with the exceptions of the elemental four). They were named for other reasons like those I mentioned earlier, or for no reason.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

ok ok well i checked the names whereever i could find some info on them. And i dont speak arabic so dont shoot me down for it. Neither do i care if your jewish or not. (dont flame on me for that i got jewish ancesters as well) Just that it doesnt add to what im trying to do here lol.

Lots of hebrew and arabic words are the same since they share the same origin.

And ok ill add night as 2nd explanation for the name. Take in mind tho the author picked lots of names for reasons already explained, Makarov to sound russian but guess what he could have picked anything yet he took Makarov. Authors arnt that careless with names. Its not like they automaticaly pick names. So yes there is always a reason why they pick names.

back to Layla, there is a lot of stuff regarding this name alone incl a ancient lovestory and the song! Eric Clapton version the best ofc < well i like the artist haha

Personaly i find the Indian version of the story of Layla and Majnun most interesting, since whenever Majnun takes damage (at school being hit by his teacher) she takes the damage. They got some sort of connection. Eventualy her future husband strikes Majnun thrue the heart and Layla died as well.
    Last edited by ca12nag3; July 19, 2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New Reply