Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Magnus's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by shuha27 View Post
    Is FF13 worth buying? I heard it is very linear but still a pretty good game. I haven't played any of the other FF series....
    If illusory freedom and sidequests are something essential for you, then you won't like FFXIII. If not then it's worth buying. Especially if you didn't play FFs before, you won't feel the "bad FF" thing.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Host Samurai View Post
    Is it in a sense comparable to Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus? The last Final Fantasy game that I played was on the PSP: Final Fantasy: Crisis Core, which had a similar gameplay to Kingdom Hearts.
    Dirge of the Cerberus wasn't really an RPG nor was it ever really billed as one. It was basically a purest action adventure game. I don't know about crisis core as i never played it.

A role playing game does what the name implies it places the player in the role of a character or characters. A good role playing game tends to be filled with little stuff that help players get a feel for the fantasy world the game is trying to draw them into. Take Final Fantasy 7 for example. Hunting down materia, enemy skills, chocobo breeding, and a dozen other things where all there to give gamers a complete experience. The biggest problem with FF13 is that it has none of that. It is a story without a single town.

Imagine Mass Effect if you could never talk to anybody or make any decisions. Turning it into just another shooter game. That's what Final Fantasy 13 is in a nutshell. It's a very pretty and streamlined game but the role playing experience just doesn't feel complete.
    Last edited by Jammin; December 19, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member shuha27's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought the game and I can already tell...you can't even decide who you choose to talk with but so far I've been enjoying it's story. I just wish it wasn't so linear.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly... that looks like pure win. I usually end up spending a loooot of time whenever I get to customize my own monsters and look what they've done here. Maybe I'll finish XIII fully then do this one, just for this system's sake

Well.. depending on the reviews.
    Tiger, Tiger.

Let it be known far and wide
    I cheer for Saint-Etienne from the bottom of my heart

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To celebrate FFX's 10th Anniversary (it's been that long?), a HD version is in development

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rudorofu's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    To celebrate FFX's 10th Anniversary (it's been that long?), a HD version is in development
    Heard about this remake! Are they going to change anything in it? Or just make an HD version...? Meh, either way, I'd be excited to purchase it if it's going to be released for the PS3 just for the Sphere Grid XD

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aazholh's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to play FF8 every year and try to do EVERYTHING in the game. Collect all the cards and do all the sidequests. I try to get the Lionheart by disc one, card enemy's to conserve my characater's stats until I earn the level up bonuses. But this year the PS2 couldn't read the disc. Guess I'll have to download the game on psnetwork.
    "You see, I am a colossal pervert. No form of sexual depravity is too low for me. Animal, vegetable or mineral - I'll do anything to anything!" - Bishop of Bath and Wells (circa 1563)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsNM5GOQCko

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To celebrate the series' 25th Anniversary Square Enix has launched a website.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

1) What's your favorite Final Fantasy game?
    Final Fantasy VII

2) Favorite character?
    Cloud Strife

3) Favorite villain?
    Sephiroth

4) Favorite summon?
    Hard one. Either Bahumut or Knights of the Round.

5) Which game have you replayed the most?
    Final Fantasy Tactics

6) What was the toughest challenge you ever had in a FF game?
    Hard to say. It's between fighting Safer Sephiroth in FFVII or Velius in FFT.

7) What was your favorite clip in the games?
    Opening of Final Fantasy VIII. That is the epitome of epic.

8) If you would like to see a sequel to any of the games, which would it be?
    Honestly I'm good. I'm about all sequeled out.

9) What side-game do you like the most?
    Haven't really been much of a fan of many of the side-games. I did like Triple Triad.

10) If you could date a FF character, who would it be? Haha...
    Hard choice. I'd say Lightning, Serah, or Yuffie.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aazholh's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only games I look forward from Square these days are rehashes from FF1 to FF9. Their formula for current games have strayed too far from the games of the past. They seem to think turn-based combat isn't enough anymore. That character needs to move on their own like you're watching some kind of movie instead of playing a game.
    "You see, I am a colossal pervert. No form of sexual depravity is too low for me. Animal, vegetable or mineral - I'll do anything to anything!" - Bishop of Bath and Wells (circa 1563)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsNM5GOQCko

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

New square-enix title is being announced for summer 2012. And this one looks like some sort of RPG with a more classical drawn art style!

Lot of rumors about what it is but nothing concrete. Though it's hard not to notice the similarities between parts of the teaser and Final Fantasy Tactics. If it is an actual legitimate sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics I'm going to be one happy gamer.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like SE is going to make a FFIII PSP port, which will be based from the DS version.

---------- Post added June 11, 2012 at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was June 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM ----------

The trailer:

---------- Post added June 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was June 11, 2012 at 08:53 AM ----------

Sooo... according to SE CEO, a FFVII remake will be made once they have created a FF that exceeds FFVII's quality.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    Sooo... according to SE CEO, a FFVII remake will be made once they have created a FF that exceeds FFVII's quality.
    My reaction to that is complicated.

On the one-hand I'm kinda glad SquareEnix is actually aware that the RPG's they've been churning out for the last few years have been....lets say "lackluster", because it's a lot easier to improve if they aren't rooted in the belief that the last few games have been vast improvements over the predecessors and that people have just clung to those past experiences for nostalgia's sake.

On the other hand it seems to me like the last few games have strayed further and further from the path which leads to excellent RPG experiences, which makes it feel like they are saying it will never happen.

----------------------------------------------------

In order to really achieve something the equal of Final Fantasy VII I think SquareEnix would have to completely rethink how they approach game design because Final Fantasy games feel like the first priorities in development are Visuals and Gameplay. The Story and Immersion elements seem like they are considered a much lower priority. Lets face it in the Final Fantasy VI, VII, and VIII the gameplay was pretty much the same. The skill systems were different but the basic menu's a combat interface was nearly identical. Graphics got upgraded and art styles changed but the way the games played was pretty much the same.

I believe the special quality that those great RPG's had was that each created a world that you actually wanted to adventure through, characters you wanted to know more about, a good story to give the adventure purpose, and then gave you the opportunely to immerse yourself in the experience. I'm of the opinion that cutscenes and gameplay should be built around that, not vise versa; because in the RPG golden age of the PS1 all the RPG's looked identical, played almost the same, and yet most seemed substantially better than what what Square has been putting forward.
    Last edited by Jammin; June 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

FFVII is coming to the PC. It will only be available at SE store, however, and include these online features:

Quote Quote:
    • Achievements – Whether you’re a seasoned Final Fantasy VII veteran or exploring this RPG classic for the very first time, show off your in-game accomplishments and put your gaming skills to the test with 36 brand new achievements to unlock. Share your profile with friends online to find out who is the ultimate Final Fantasy fan.
    • Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP, and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.
    • Cloud Saves – Whether you’re away from home or simply using a different computer to play, enjoy Final Fantasy VII wherever you are. With cloud save support in Final Fantasy VII you can continue your game progress right where you left off, all you need is an internet connection.
    ---------- Post added July 20, 2012 at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was July 04, 2012 at 11:05 AM ----------

According to this rumor, FF Versus XIII has been cancelled. All its development and resources will be folded into another game, which is supposedly FFXV.

I hope that's not true.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Final fantasy 7 for PC? I am definitely getting my hands on that lol. I have been trying to find the game for ages but have been largely unable too.

New Reply
Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast