Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Fantasy Thread!

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    According to this rumor, FF Versus XIII has been cancelled. All its development and resources will be folded into another game, which is supposedly FFXV.

I hope that's not true.
    I'm surprised by my own reaction to this news. I feel a sense of...relief.

I just never heard anything about this game that made me think it was taking things back in the kind of direction I would like to see the Final Fantasy franchise go. I feel like Final Fantasy needs to get back to "Role Playing" and step out of this action movie mentality it's been in for the last 10 years. All the pretty cut-scenes and better graphics are simply worthless to me if they aren't backed up by a good story, character that I can actually care about, and dialogue that's well written. I'm tired of Final Fantasy being the RPG equivalent of a Michal Bay movie.
    • I want to see it learn from Mass Effect, the Tales series, and Persona series and see the value of character dialogue and dynamic character relationships.
    • I want to see them play with the art style and not be afraid to try something other than it's signature blend of anime style and hyper-realistism. Pick whatever style of art suits the story they want to tell.
    • I want to see a combat system that allows me to control what's going on instead of forcing me break immersion and manage AI. I'm tired of these games forcing themselves to use inferior combat mechancs for the sake of being different from their predecessors. Focus on what works.
    • I want to see a return to exploration(give me a worldmap dammit!) and a renewed focus on immersion elements(stuff like chocobo breeding)

What I want is hope. And Final Fantasy Versus XIII never supplied that. So I'm not very sad to see it go. Plus if what they were working on was in such a state that SquareEnix was willing to scrap it; it was probably pretty bad....

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Final fantasy 7 for PC? I am definitely getting my hands on that lol. I have been trying to find the game for ages but have been largely unable too.
    Really? PSN has it for sale on both PS3 and PSP. (or at least in USA they do)
    Last edited by Jammin; July 20, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, but I didn't own any of those consoles lol. I have to find copies of the original games to play them. I got VIII and IX but VII was plainly impossible to find online. It seemed to be a collectors item or something.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, but I didn't own any of those consoles lol. I have to find copies of the original games to play them. I got VIII and IX but VII was plainly impossible to find online. It seemed to be a collectors item or something.
    Oh, ok. Yeah some of those old ones RPG's are tough to find because they just didn't print all that many copies compared to the modern demand.

I mean looking at how much the charge for a new copy on Amazon....wow. It would actually be cheaper to buy a PSP or PS3 and along with the digital version that it would be to buy the game.

And god help anybody who wants a new copy of Suikoden 2. Shame that's one of my favorite RPG's of all time and it isn't even available digitally; aside from pirated roms.
    Last edited by Jammin; December 19, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that one day Square-Enix would just give up on Versus being a part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis and just make it Final Fantasy XV, which might just happen now. I wasn't much of a fan of the character design (Nomura is great at designing manga/anime characters, but those don't always translate so well in highly realistic games), but Versus did look like a very interesting game, especially the combat system.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

SE CEO dismissed the rumor that FF Versus XIII is canceled so it looks like it's still on. Now the waiting game begins again. >.>

---------- Post added July 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was July 24, 2012 at 09:51 AM ----------

I don't know if anyone is interested in art book, but you can now preorder a FF artbook boxed set on Amazon. It cost $88 though.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually pretty excited for A Realm Reborn. It looks so much better than the glorified beta that SE released previously. This time around it actually looks fun!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

SE is going all-out to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of FF

- First, they will be selling a FF Anniversary Ultimate Box, which will include all thirteen games. The special items are: a special anniversary video disc, Crystal ArtWorks -- an anniversary visual art collection, a two disc anniversary music selection CD, a Final Fantasy XIV Mogu Mogu Earring item code, and a mini replica of Amano FF 25th Anniversary visual and stand. This box set is only available at SE's Japanese internet store.

- They will also be releasing FF Memorial Ultimania books. Each book will have 326 pages, which contain artworks including never-been-released. Book I will have FFI to FFVI, Book II will have FFVII to FFIX, and Book III will have FFX to FFXIV. This will also be available only at SE's store. If you buy all three, you will receive a bonus item.

- Lastly, here is a pic of Noctis and SE confirmed that Versus XIII is still around.

---------- Post added September 01, 2012 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was August 31, 2012 at 04:43 PM ----------

- As expected, a new FFXIII game has been announced - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. You can watch the clips HERE

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    - As expected, a new FFXIII game has been announced - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. You can watch the clips HERE
    Why....Why square? What did fans like me do to you that causes you to keep churning out sequels to the worst Final Fantasy story ever written.

It almost doesn't even matter how good or bad the game is to me at this point. The Final Fantasy XIII series carries such a stigma in my eyes that if someone gave my a copy of this game I would probably throw it in the trash just because the character Lightning is the star of the show and that's reason enough for me to turn my attention elsewhere.

I mean, of all the things they could devote their resources to this is what they choose? REALLY!?
    Last edited by Jammin; January 17, 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have kind of losing hope with Final Fantasy XIII Versus. Out of all Fabula Nova Crystallis installation, I was expecting it out the most. Interesting battle system, story plot, and character design. I have been waiting for its development for how many years, I lost counting already... And here I am today reading that they are going to create and release the third installment to Final Fantasy XIII? Maybe it's popular but I don't like the way they're throwing other projects aside to work and announce a new one since the previous one is so successful. That may not be the real reason behind this but as a fan I can't help thinking of it like that.

But why do you have such opinion that Final Fantasy XIII is bad, Jammin?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I have kind of losing hope with Final Fantasy XIII Versus. Out of all Fabula Nova Crystallis installation, I was expecting it out the most. Interesting battle system, story plot, and character design. I have been waiting for its development for how many years, I lost counting already... And here I am today reading that they are going to create and release the third installment to Final Fantasy XIII? Maybe it's popular but I don't like the way they're throwing other projects aside to work and announce a new one since the previous one is so successful. That may not be the real reason behind this but as a fan I can't help thinking of it like that.

But why do you have such opinion that Final Fantasy XIII is bad, Jammin?
    It's going to be hard to explain without profane language but I will try....

A role playing game is essentially a game in which the player steps into the role of a character, or characters, in a story. Which can provide a wonderfully immersive story telling experience if done in a way which successfully creates the illusion of being a part of the world in which it is set.

Final Fantasy XIII doesn't even try to immerse players in the story it's trying to tell. The approach it takes is to basically make a pretty CG movie then link it together with linear gameplay sequences. Which I find to be an insult to the very concept of RPG storytelling. They essentially copied the action game story telling model and applied it to a Final Fantasy game. Then to make things even worse they turned the combat into what was essentially AI management, which is as immersion breaking as anything could possibly be; and creates further distance between gamer and characters.

All this undermines connection between gamer and game world which is so crucial for RPG stories to live up to any kind of potential.

Final Fantasy XIII is the perfect example of style over substance in game development. If the story was written nobody would want to read it. If the story was told nobody would want to listen to it. The flashy graphics often times don't even serve any purpose other than to distract from the laughable attempts and emotional characterization and the fact that 90% of the game was on a rail.

Continuing to try and tell stories off of that original story is like trying to build a brick house on quicksand.
    Last edited by Jammin; January 17, 2013 at 07:25 PM.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad news: Versus XIII will NOT be shown at TGS this year. They are focusing on FFXIV and Lightning Returns.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

One can only hope the reason it takes so long is because they intend to make a glorious open world as seen in the old Final Fantasy games or at least FF12-ish. But one thing is for sure, it won't be released before all the FF13 crap they've been spitting out have already reached their selling potential (including collector editios etc).
    Tiger, Tiger.

Let it be known far and wide
    I cheer for Saint-Etienne from the bottom of my heart

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally took the risk to buy FF13-2 now that it's cheaper. And I have to say that it's more interesting than I expected.

Characters are not as annoying as in FF13 (even hope is a good character in FF13-2, I didn't know it was possible but it's true) & Noel is a good main character, the best we had since the PS1 era. I had my doubts on Serah but she isn't a "Vanille' kind of character. Sure, she is no lightning or fang but she still do the job.

Scenario is much more interesting than in FF13 (but it's not hard to do better). The time paradox are well handled. Playing with time in a story is always a possible problem but it's well handled here.

Gameplay: there is a real plus with those monsters in your party. Fighting alongside a behemoth is refreshing .

Overall: I'll give it a 16/20. It's no longer an rpg for me but more an adventure game. And as an adventure game, it's good. As a final fantasy ? Still behind the ps1 era but not a letdown like FF13.

But if square/enix want to continue to play in the "top-rpg" world, they have lessons to take from Bethesda ...
    Plus, in sqaure/enix, there is "enix", it's about time we got a star ocean at the same level of "till the end of time"

Edit: correction: 16-2/20 --> 14/20. The fuck is that ending ...
    Edit 2: Still not getting over it. What's wrong with happy end ? Fuck, I even think that the ending of mass effect 3 is better.

Edit 3: Ending spoiler:
    Spoiler show

Edit 4: gBgfbFVQHMmfhqzfhpqhucsdfv ..... RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Last edited by zelllogan; September 18, 2012 at 02:06 PM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So Lightning's new outfit for FFXIII-3 has been posted online and it's... interesting. A new trailer will be posted this Saturday.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

The trailer has been leaked.

---------- Post added December 22, 2012 at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was December 19, 2012 at 09:48 PM ----------

---------- Post added December 25, 2012 at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was December 22, 2012 at 08:52 PM ----------

According to Famitsu, Lightning is the only playable character.

---------- Post added January 17, 2013 at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was December 25, 2012 at 09:33 PM ----------

Extended trailer for LR: FFXIII

A new character has been introduced as well. Lumina, who looks similar to Serah, is a frenemy. She will provide help but will also hinder Lightning. Oh, Noel is back too

The game will be out in the fall
    Last edited by riki; January 17, 2013 at 07:18 PM.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The RPG thread

I think Lightning Returns is going to turn out to be a pretty good game. XIII-2 was an improvement over XIII in terms of gameplay, and I think the next game will be even better, that or an equally good game. It's just a shame that the whole XIII has one hell of a convoluted plot, one that really doesn't seem to have been planned at all.

New Reply
Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast