Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Liar Game 139 Discussion / 140 Prediction

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Liar Game 139 Discussion / 140 Prediction

This is where you can post and discuss the spoilers for the next chapter of Liar Game!

24 Hour Spoiler Rule:
    • Mangahelpers enforces a temporary blockade for discussion of new spoilers/chapters. This blockade ends 24 hours after raws are publicly released.
    • For series with a forum, please keep all discussion regarding the newest chapter and its content inside the spoiler/chapter discussions until 24 hours have passed after the raw/chapter's release.
    • Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars.
    • Please wait 24 hours before posting any art based on new chapters in the art and stories section.
    • The 24 hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a courtesy rule. Not every member reads spoilers and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released.

Spoiler Pics and Translations:
    • At Mangahelpers we only allow three manga pages to be posted directly as spoilers.
    • This rule is not judged based on the number of thumbnails but the number of pages pictured.
    • Please provide hyperlinks for any excess pages.
    • Please do not re-post already available spoiler pics or summaries.
    • International translations may be posted in the spoiler discussion thread. A moderator will add it with credit to the English translation in the spoiler pics and summaries thread.
    • Do not significantly edit your post after more posts have been made. Please make a new post if new spoilers are available.

For-Profit Download Links
    • If a for-profit download link is provided, we ask that a non-profit alternative is available in the same post.
    • Linking to another website with for-profit download links and no non-profit alternative also violates site rules.
    • Mangahelpers asks that members who may not be comfortable using sites that help turn a profit for pirated material have a choice.
    • Mediafire, Rapidshare, and Sendspace are all non-profit links. Providing any of these as a download link fulfills the non-profit alternative requirement.
    • Spoiler: list of for-profit sites show

Spoiler: Formatting Spoiler Posts show
    Last edited by Josef K.; November 27, 2011 at 03:57 PM.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Grenze MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chapter 139 Spoiler Discussion

Spoilers thanks to TDX livejournal~

Spoiler pictures for 139 can be found here.

Color page.

Spoiler show

Text

spoiler translationFake!Lawyer: Oh? No fuss this time?
    Nao: I knew this invitation would come sooner or later, since I lost the 4th Round.
    Fake!Lawyer: Fufufu. Well, I hate talking on the doorstep, so why don't we talk inside?
    Fake!Lawyer: This is not the first time when you're faced with a Revival Round, so you have understanding of how it works, but I'm going to remind you the rules just in case. You can choose whether you will participate in the Revival Round or not. You can drop out if you wish so. To do so, you have to pay half of your prize money to the Company in case you're a winner. Since you're a loser, that is unnecessary. If you don't mind me asking, how big is your debt at the moment?
    Nao: It went up to 500 million at a time, but since I have earned 300 million in the 4th Round, my debt now is 200 million.
    Very!Fake!Lawyer: You could quit now, you know. But if you choose to quit despite having a debt, the Company's people will use any means necessary to see to it you pay off your debt. Fufufu. As a reference I'm going to tell you what the other players players who have made it to this stage along with are up to. Makizono-san aka 4-Eyes. Looks like he will quit the game, since he managed to annul his debt in the 4th Round. Akagi-san, too, seems to be ready to quit.
    Nao: Ah, Akagi-san had no debt before the start of the Round in the first place.
    Still!Fake!Lawyer: Indeed. I have a message for you from Akagi-san. "To Kanzaki Nao-san. I hope you are well. I would like to thank you for everything you have done for me in the course of the Liar game and especially in the 3rd Round, 'Contraband Game', when you chose to shoulder a large debt to give me and my teammates the chance to nullify ours. I was truly astonished to learn that such people really exist in this world... I made a resolution then to make sure to repay your kindness. I'm not sure if I was of help to you in the 4th Round, but you managed to get 300 million in that Round as a prize and I also got 100 million. There's also the check for 100 million we have snatched from Yokoya. So, in total, I have 200 million. I would like to give this 200 million to you, as my payback for your shouldering my debt in the 3rd Round. I believe this would allow you to nullify your debt. I will now quit the Liar Game. Please, do the same."
    Nao: Akagi-san...
    Fake!Lawyer: "In conclusion, I would like to say that I'm truly glad to have met you." That's what he says.
    Nao: I'm glad... Glad that Akagi-san decided to quit the game.
    Usankusee!Ossan: Thus, you debt now is payed off.
    Nao: And what about Akiyama-san?! Is he going to quit the game too?! He shouldn't have any debts now! I was the one who pulled him into the Liar game... I will never forgive myself for that.
    Shady!Lawyer: Akiyama, eh... Indeed, his 500 million debt is now payed off, since he's got Yokoya's check for 200 million and has made a profit of 300 million in the Round. Whoa! Looks like Akiyama refused to participate in the Revival Round!
    Nao: Really?!
    Fake!Lawyer: He was participating as Takada Michiko's representative in the first place. It's about time he quit, since his continued participation probably have been causing Takada Michiko constant worry, too.
    Nao(thoughts): I'm so glad! It's like a load off my mind!
    Fake!Lawyer: So, now I must ask you what you are going to do. I expect you won't participate in the Revival Round, will you?
    Nao: Oh, but I will.
    Fake!Lawyer: Huh?! Just wait a minute here! Did you even hear what I said?! Akagi was chivalrous enought to pay off your debt!!!
    Nao: I heard that.
    Fake!Lawyer: And Akiyama won't take part in the next game to boot!!! You will have to play on your own, without his help!!! Do you even understand the gravity of this statement?!
    Nao: I understand. But there's still something left I need to do.
    Fake!Lawyer: Something you need to do...?
    Nao: It's about Abe-san. I wasn't able to free Abe-san in the end. I cannot quit the game and abandon Abe-san.
    Fake!Lawyer: Haaaaaaah?! You're going to keep participating in the game for the sake of saving some stranger, eh...? Seems like you've gotten stronger, Kanzaki-san.
    Nao(thoughts): Yes, maybe I have... Maybe I am stronger now.

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liar Game 139 Spoiler Thread

Nothing surprising there at all. We knew about saving Abe from last round's conclusion.
    We should all fully expect Akiyama to be participating as well, by one means or another if this wasn't a bold faced lie after all.
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Oberon's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Liar Game #139 Raw: Click Here

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Summary of the chapter by TDX livejournal:

Spoiler show

It seems like an awesome chapter! I mean we get the revival round again! It had to be Nao vs Harimoto, I think her father noticed that she kind of has changed with the whole Liar Game process, she lies and tricks people something she did not do before, I think this arc/game we will see the development of Nao into a greater player using the same tactics as Harimoto but losing her innocent behavior even more in the process. It will be interesting if the mangaka shifts from Yokoya vs Fukunaga to Nao/Akiyama vs Harimoto. It will be interesting to see Abe in this round as well as the other players aside from the big names many have proven to be quite the tricksters themselves as well. Ah well Akagi is gone as well.
    Last edited by Josef K.; November 25, 2011 at 08:31 AM.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Raijatsu's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome chapüter, Nao has really grown and taken Akiyama's words to the heart. She's no longer
    indeferrent and *friendly because it keeps peopel away* but now genuinly cares for others.
    She is most likely one of the strongest players now and this revival round will make her shine again.
    I wonder what Yokoya learned about the game that makes him so sure to win....possibly the importance of strong bonds and
    comrades but who know. Maybe he's just going Fuhrer again.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liar Game 139 Discussion / 140 Prediction

The chapter is now out, download it here.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Discussion:
    The current roster culling was a good start, but frankly, I think the series could use more.

Fukunaga has outlived his usefulness as the untrustworthy "ally". (I mean that from a plot perspective. Realistically, Akiyama could play a more subtle version of that role better. Nao's development as a character almost certainly requires it.)

I can stand one more battle between them and Harimoto/Yokoya (I don't have any choice), but I really don't want to see it continue past that. It's been more than played out, and the series does not need a repeating villain. I think that actually hinders the development of the series, unless it is somehow brought to tie into the battle between Akiyama and the Liar Game Office. (A direction of which I am not a particularly big fan)

Prediction:
    Without knowing exactly how this revival/consolation game works, it is hard to say exactly how many people will survive. Realistically, you have to assume that Nao/Akiyama win their side while Yokoya wins his side since there does not appear to be any new characters. (Is there even room for more characters? The game started out with 100k people, but that should have been whittled down extensively by now, but I haven't attempted to chart how many participants should approximately be left)

You probably have to assume that Nao uses her connection with Abe to defeat Harimoto (does she take the lead this round instead of Akiyama?). There are some interesting directions that could be taken that won't happen (Nao getting her to betray Harimoto then betraying Abe) because it does not go with the direction of the story.

I'd really like to see Nao/Akiyama tension this round and going further. Not an outright battle, but them not working together and conflicting while approximately working towards the same goal.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think fukanaga has outlived his purpose. He certainly won't be the brain alongside akiyama but he is also no fool. He knows the game and he is extremely resourceful.

Now, how many times has yokoya said he figured out the liar game by now? I would think he has said it plenty lol. Anyways, it is true he has learned in each step of the way how to do things (I remember commenting about that a loooong time ago lol). Before he tried to do things by ruling with fear. Next he tried to appeal to greed. It kinda backfired against him. During the most recent game he underestimated the desires of people. One of his team mates betrayed him when a girl flirted with him and ultimately he lost when everyone ganged up against him. His next logical move is manipulating the heart as it was called. He will try to win actual loyalty from his subordinates which is something he has never gotten before. Heck, undying loyalty and nao's ability to get on the good side of people has been a huge factor in winning the games. As long as yokoya gets a loyal team on his side he will be more dangerous.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there are other people who we do not know beside Yokoya and Fukunaga in group B, my guess is that we will follow Nao's story first, their game I mean which will finish fast, for some reason I think it will just be there to show of show strong of a player Nao is, next we move on to Yokoya where it will be a hard game for him as he adjusts his playing style form mind to heart, his personality will change, will this make him a better or worst player afterwards? That will be the interesting thing at the end of the arc.

So now this could also be done backwards, we get Yokoya's group first and than Nao's which will be done short with some twist like Harimoto going berserk and wanting to hurt Abe because they lost, then we will have a spark of bravery form Nao defending Abe, it ends up with Harimoto disqualified and Abe getting into Nao's group, which should only be Akiyama and Fukunaga in the next round if all of them pass.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I don't think fukanaga has outlived his purpose. He certainly won't be the brain alongside akiyama but he is also no fool. He knows the game and he is extremely resourceful.
    I'm not saying he is a terrible player, but what plot purpose does he serve? His untrustworthy "ally" status has been played out. Except for as a potential romantic foil for Nao with Akiyama, I don't see him providing anything new.
    Untrustworthy character betrays the group for personal gain? It's been done before. By him even.
    Him sacrificing himself for the benefit of the group? Not believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Well there are other people who we do not know beside Yokoya and Fukunaga in group B
    The people in group B all looked to be people from the previous game, but I admit, you don't get a great look at everyone, so maybe there could be new people.

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    next we move on to Yokoya where it will be a hard game for him as he adjusts his playing style form mind to heart, his personality will change, will this make him a better or worst player afterwards? That will be the interesting thing at the end of the arc.
    I doubt he tries to mimic Nao or even Harimoto. He isn't a cult leader, nor is he a hopeless optimist. He'll never inspire the loyalty that they do.

If he is going to pair and emotion with his mental game, I'd expect him to try guilt/shame next which Nao used to defeat him in the preliminary vaccination game. He isn't a likable guy, so he can't appeal to the desire to help someone, but he can threaten to expose the shady actions people undertook to get that far in the game. He is rich and has connections, so he could probably bribe the media to broadcast their names/pictures/accounts of what happened. When combined with a financial incentive, he could tie people to him to carry him to victory.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In the spoiler it said there were some new, though yeah I see the old ones as well, really have to write the names down and memorize them in order to follow the game more closely. In the musical chairs arc we did get to see how the other "random" players cope with different situations and how they are important to the overall game.

I see this as a problem of personality and Yokoya certainly has that, not appealing to people. but we can not assume that he has figured out the core of the game as Nao did and her theory was supported by the masked spectators, so could Yokoya be going at it from a different angle? I mean I do not want him to pull the same stuff again, maybe his understanding of the game is different, but who knows there might be more than one way to win and more than one explanation to what the game is and how to win than trust.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fanatik's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    I'm not saying he is a terrible player, but what plot purpose does he serve? His untrustworthy "ally" status has been played out. Except for as a potential romantic foil for Nao with Akiyama, I don't see him providing anything new.
    Untrustworthy character betrays the group for personal gain? It's been done before. By him even.
    Him sacrificing himself for the benefit of the group? Not believable.
    I don't think the only role left to him is to be romantic foil to Nao (though I admit I would like to see some shift, if slight, in the relationship between Fukunaga and Akiyama, not necessary romantic at all... like Akiyama admitting Fukunaga's worth or something. I would rather not see any romance in LG, Akiyama/Nao included). We should remember that he was the one Akiyama told his plan to amass an astronomical debt to. As far as I remember, Akiyama said nothing about it to Nao (she was too uneducated in the way of numbers and mathematics to understand, anyway). So here we have another important role Fukunaga (probably in tandem with Nao) will play eventually - stopping Akiyama from suicide by means of debt accumulating.

Actually, after Fukunaga realized his feelings for Akiyama and, more importantly, his desire to see him, well, if not happy, then at least doing well and living a good life, the purpose of his participation in the Liar Game shifted. Now he's in it much more for the sake of protecting Akiyama then for money. If Nao wants to save everybody, and that's her motivation for continuing on with the LG, Fukunaga wants to save specifically Akiyama and for that he'll fight tooth and nail. He won't sacrifice himself for the benefit of the group, but he will sacrifice himself for Akiyama's benefit.

At the moment the question I have is if Fukunaga's aware that Akiyama planned on continuing with the game despite dropping out or he thinks Akiyama is safe now. I would think that, unlike Nao, Fukunaga suspects the true extent of the cunningness of Akiyama's mind and his stubborness in his desire to take down the LGT Office self-destructing in the proceess, so he probably suspects Akiyama found some loophole to worm his way back to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    The people in group B all looked to be people from the previous game, but I admit, you don't get a great look at everyone, so maybe there could be new people.
    There should be a few new ones. probably, considering the stage A has, what, 11 people? The stage B should have about the same number... I can't really remember 11 more names of those who were in the previous game... though, maybe it's just my memory doesn't serve...

As for Yokoya, yes, I also think he will try to incorporate emotions into his gamestyle somehow, and he probably came up with some creative way to do that... I do hope, however, it will be more than just blackmailing to press people's shame and guilt. After all, Akiyama isn't quite your cute likeable guy either, but remember the caring and appreciative attitute the prison guard displayed towards him in the very beginning of the manga. It is possible for thinkers, like Akiyama and Yokoya, to appeal to people's good emotions, it just that maybe the scale is more modest and it takes longer in comparison to heart manipulators (like Nao and Harimoto).
    Last edited by fanatik; November 28, 2011 at 11:09 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter was pretty much what I expected it to be - a transition chapter basically into the revival round. Yokoya's statement as I theorized in the 138 chapter thread. I'll just paste it here since its a bit long I'll use a spoiler tag:
    Spoiler show

If Yokoya does intend to go the 'heart/emotion' route in order to build up his strength I'd find it somewhat of a stretch. Its not a skill you can particularly develop as its more of an attitude or a bearing of your character while it CAN be developed its not something that could suddenly happen at the snap of a finger, especially given the time frame. Even more problematic is unlike Nao its pretty clear over the course of the game he's been too stuck up with his idea of absolute victory to learn too much. Course you COULD fake it if you were a top class actor but I don't see much reason to believe Yokoya is much of an actor, even then the issue here is that he does not look the part so to speak. Still given that we'll probably see another round of Yokoya, much to my discontent as I'd really rather have him leave already, I'm guessing his strategy assuming it does involve appealing to people the way Nao/Harimoto will work.

Leaving me to worry about Fukunaga, well Nao/Akiyama and he does have his own wins should negate his debt issue, disappearing from the Liar Game. But given what Akiyama just did it is possible that Fukunaga may just become someone's representative should push come to shove of him needing to continue participating, or should he really wish to participate. In the long shot that he does beat Yokoya I'd be pretty damn happy, I like Fukunaga and I'd really love to see Yokoya go.

Akiyama's decision somewhat surprises me since I thought he'd finally go after the people behind the Liar Game, I mean they've been left alone far too long, and was hoping he'd not be in this round so that Nao could just go head to head against Harimoto since they're both appealing to the same thing. Oh well I guess Nao still needs Akiyama at this point.

New Reply