Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is Hiruzen Sarutobi a crappy leader?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Skidmore's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Hiruzen Sarutobi a crappy leader?

Quote Originally Posted by empeethree View Post
    All Danzou did was for the sake of Konoha, as his rival and team mates, Sarutobi Hiruzen knew Danzou's personalities, alliance with Hanzou has a purpose, do you think Hanzo will allow Orochimaru, Jiraiya and Tsunade to live? That's so rare on their era.
    You might be right about those experiments, but was the benefits for him alone?
    Yeah, that was sure very strange, probably that time a alliance already existed, as Jiraiya once said, Hanzou was very carefull, It was just insane to let the most powerfull team konoha has ever produced to live, or otherwise he knew who was their master, and for more peacefull that Sarutobi was, I don't think he would take lightly the man who killed his loving students and most promininet soldiers, and i don't think many people want to buy a fight with Hizuren at his prime.

Of course their powers may have doubled since that time, but Hanzou level may be around that of Hizuren or Raikage, and there are few who would survive a long fight with them.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member chilibun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@empeethree Ok, I'm not going to hold the wars against him, since all parties involved were losers. He did fail to stand up to Kumogakure in the Hyuga fiasco though. Hizashi's life was given up because if it wasn't him, it would of been Hiashi. Somebody had to die. Besides, the decision never should have been theirs to make. Kumogakure was the one that broke the treaty with their assassination attempt. Instead of pursuing retribution, Hiruzen concedes the life of one his most powerful fighter. That is weakness. Hiruzen spared Orochimaru out of love, but that does not excuse him. Orochimaru killed more people and did more sick things than other character in the story!

@skidmore I doubt Hanzo spared the Sannins because he was afraid of Hiruzen. If he was, he wouldn't have fought a war with Konoha in the first place.

I guess I'm alone on this one. Hiruzen was just too timid for my liking. He never took a stand on anything. He gets pushed around by Kumogakure, the Konoha Elders, and even his student Orochimaru. Good guy, but just a bad leader.
    Last edited by chilibun; July 28, 2010 at 12:46 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I think the incident with Kumogakure shows that Hiruzen was a great leader. The fact is, Konoha was still recovering from the Third Shinobi War, The Nine-Tails' rampage, and the recent war with Kumogakure. The village was most likely in no shape to continue the war, and by sacrificing Hizashi the village was kept safe. Sure, it isn't the most glamorous thing to do, but it saved potentially hundreds of lives.

As for Hiruzen being pushed around by the Elders, the exact power afforded to the Hokage and the Elders has never been explained. For all we know, the Elders act as a check for the power of the Hokage to insure he or she acts in the best interest of the village, which would explain why they have so much sway. But since we don't have all the information, we can't really say for sure.

As I see it, his one glaring failure was Orochimaru, and in the end he attempted to correct his mistake.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes of Thunder View Post
    As for Hiruzen being pushed around by the Elders, the exact power afforded to the Hokage and the Elders has never been explained. For all we know, the Elders act as a check for the power of the Hokage to insure he or she acts in the best interest of the village, which would explain why they have so much sway. But since we don't have all the information, we can't really say for sure.

As I see it, his one glaring failure was Orochimaru, and in the end he attempted to correct his mistake.
    I've wondered about this also. You would assume the Hokage has the final say in all matters related to Konoha...but even moreso than the Elders, we don't know how the Daimyo plays into this. Even though both Elders were alive, when Tsunade was unconscious for those days/weeks, the Daimyo was the one who named the successor.

From what I remembered...the Hokage names their successor, but it is ultimately voted on by the Jounin. The Daimyo seems to have the ultimate power in the situation as he can bypass the vote? You would assume that the Elders play the role of Advisor and have no "real" power, but if they have a strong influence over the citizens and shinobi of their village, and an equally strong tie with the Daimyo, then they could possibly force the Hokage to retire and have them replaced.

But, anyway...more onto topic:

I don't believe that the Third was a crappy leader. Yes, he made mistakes, and yes he should have absolutely killed Orochimaru, but ultimately he did more good than bad.

How many years did he lead Konoha? Close to 50? It's really not fair that the majority of things we've seen him do have cast a negative light on his leadership abilities. Ultimately though, I believe you have to look at the village as a whole...Konoha is one of the strongest hidden villages in the world. Even if the First and Second are the ones who lead it to such power, if the Third was a terrible leader, it probably would have lost a lot of it's power. A bad leader generally leads to the ruin of their country.
    Last edited by jsing992; July 28, 2010 at 04:04 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, his only genuine and intentional mistake was allowing Orochimaru to live when he should have killed him 10 years ago in the earliest stages of his experimentation.

It doesn't mean Sarutobi is at all means a "crappy leader." His overwhelming compassion for others is a character flaw, but at the same time it is a complete asset. For example, Sarutobi was the only elder who would have rather negotiated with the Uchiha Clan rather than downright killing him.

Sarutobi respects each and every member of the village, trusts them with his complete word, and therefore those very same people trust him. People look up to Sarutobi as a great leader, a mentor for all future ninja.

The problem was, Sarutobi's ideals of maintaining peace went against the ideals of the ninja at the time. Instead of building up power like the other Five Great Nations, Konoha instead resorted to resolving its own conflicts within the country. That mistake could have lead to the Invasion by Sunagakure or against Pein, where in both situations the village was heavily destroyed.

Many foreign nations believe that Konoha is a "weak nation," and that Sarutobi could have been the one who really mobilized the peace movement in the village. Sarutobi made mistakes, we all make mistakes. It doesn't mean he is a "crappy leader." His mistakes did lead to some huge complications, but at the same time his actions made the people in the village much closer to one another.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why didn't the Third Hokage try and train Naruto?

I get the impression people here think sarutobi was some sort of absolute monarch who was to weak to impose his authority or something. Sarutobi gets a lot of heat in the forums for the hyuga incident but didn't he make the harder decision by a mile? It wasn't cowardice that made him give up neji's dad, he was strong enough to know a the lifes of all who would have died in a shinobi war would weight more than the life of one man. The options the village had at the moment were either to give up a single man to avoid a ninja war or go to a ninja war. Not giving up neji's dad while not going to war was not precisely an option and if it was it was the chances of getting that outcome were close to 0.

And how was sarutobi weak with the uchiha business? He did what he had to do, basically try to find a peaceful solution but things slowly but surely scalated. Once that happened, what was he supposed to do? Would he have been a good leader by letting the uchiha start the coup? I doubt that, he had itachi attack before the uchiha could make their own move which is by far the best strategy in A WAR.

The only real weakness sarutobi has shown in the manga, the only real mistake, was that he allowed orochimaru to live. Other than that he has never shown to be a weak leader at all. The hokage is not an absolute ruler of any kind, he has power but there are also other people who have power which in this case are the other elders. Sarutobi being the hokage does not mean he can just dismiss what the other elders say, they have their own political power and influence.

7. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DanielKnoT's Avatar
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides the incident with Orochimaru, and the Uchiha Clan, I think that Saru show weakness against Kumogakure.

1) Hinata attempt to kidnap
    2) Kushina Kidnaped

How in the hell can you allow that this guys come to your village twice and kidnap important people like this without doing anything..

Also, he was weak enough to follow the "orders" or "advices" from the elders.. Just take Tsunade as an example, she even yells them if she want..
    Last edited by DanielKnoT; July 28, 2010 at 02:16 PM.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanielKnoT View Post
    Besides the incident with Orochimaru, and the Uchiha Clan, I think that Saru show weakness against Kumogakure.

1) Hinata attempt to kidnap
    2) Kushina Kidnaped

How in the hell can you allow that this guys come to your village twice and kidnap important people like this without doing anything..

Also, he was weak enough to follow the "orders" or "advices" from the elders.. Just take Tsunade as an example, she even yells them if she want..
    Sure, tsunade never had to listen to the elders, that explains why a member of root ended up as a member of naruto's team and attempted to comunicate with orochimaru to ultimately kill sasuke.

How is either kushina's or hinata's kidnapping the third hokage's fault? It's not like he saw the kumo ninja getting in the village and hid behind a tree in fear. They are ninja, they do sneaky stuff all the time and don't act without preparation. The hokage is not an absolute ruler or anything of the sort, quite frankly he is nowhere near that and never will be. If the hokage was something even remotely resembling an absolute ruler the very positions danzo, and the other 2 old dudes have would not exist. The hokage's authority comes from the fire lord and guess what, the fire lord does not limit authority to the kage as we saw given that there were plenty other people diciding on who would be the next kage. Not to mention we have no reason to believe sarutobi showed weakness to the uchiha. He would have shown weakness had the coup actually been attempted.

The FACT is that danzo and the elders had authority in the village and did not hesitate to use it. That does not mean in any plausible or concievable way sarutobi was anything even vaguely resembling a weak leader. seriosly how can an overly stupid notion such as sarutobi being a weak leader even exist? He was a shinobi feared by the enemies of konoha, loved by his followers, pretty much stated to have been the strongest hokage and vastly respected by other villages. Surely he had his flaws (as anyone else would) but that is not the sort of respect a weak leader has.
    Last edited by kkck; July 28, 2010 at 03:29 PM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DanielKnoT's Avatar
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Sure, tsunade never had to listen to the elders, that explains why a member of root ended up as a member of naruto's team and attempted to comunicate with orochimaru to ultimately kill sasuke.

How is either kushina's or hinata's kidnapping the third hokage's fault? It's not like he saw the kumo ninja getting in the village and hid behind a tree in fear. They are ninja, they do sneaky stuff all the time and don't act without preparation. The hokage is not an absolute ruler or anything of the sort, quite frankly he is nowhere near that and never will be. If the hokage was something even remotely resembling an absolute ruler the very positions danzo, and the other 2 old dudes have would not exist. The hokage's authority comes from the fire lord and guess what, the fire lord does not limit authority to the kage as we saw given that there were plenty other people diciding on who would be the next kage. Not to mention we have no reason to believe sarutobi showed weakness to the uchiha. He would have shown weakness had the coup actually been attempted.

The FACT is that danzo and the elders had authority in the village and did not hesitate to use it. That does not mean in any plausible or concievable way sarutobi was anything even vaguely resembling a weak leader. seriosly how can an overly stupid notion such as sarutobi being a weak leader even exist? He was a shinobi feared by the enemies of konoha, loved by his followers, pretty much stated to have been the strongest hokage and vastly respected by other villages. Surely he had his flaws (as anyone else would) but that is not the sort of respect a weak leader has.
    Man, I hate Danzou, I really do..

But I have to give him the reason Here.

Sarutobi was too weak with the Orochimaru, Suna and Kumo Villages incidents and that could lead to the destruction of Konoha.

If Kumo would succesfully kidnaped Kushina they will have the 2 most powerfull weapons in Narutoverse.. (Hachibi and Kyubi)..

Thank God that Minato was a Konoha Ninja... lol

Am not questioning if he was respected in Konoha, but it seems that he lacked authority sometimes to deal with those problems
    Last edited by DanielKnoT; July 28, 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Aikidoka's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it, Hiruzen was more ahead of his time than anything. If he were to be put in a world where peace was the norm, I imagine he would shine. As it was, his compassion and mediating was out of place in the ninja world. He tried to make the world a better place, but one man can only do so much.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanielKnoT View Post
    Man, I hate Danzou, I really do..

But I have to give him the reason Here.

Sarutobi was too weak with the Orochimaru, Suna and Kumo Villages incidents and that could lead to the destruction of Konoha.

If Kumo would succesfully kidnaped Kushina they will have the 2 most powerfull weapons in Narutoverse.. (Hachibi and Kyubi)..

Thank God that Minato was a Konoha Ninja... lol

Am not questioning if he was respected in Konoha, but it seems that he lacked authority sometimes to deal with those problems
    Even though konoha had problems, I don't think they can all be attributed to sarutobi nor his teachings. Sarutobi taught others to be kind, to care for their comrades and apparently made a decent deal about being in good relations with other villages. Sarutobi's teachings were not weak, those were the hardest path because they involved being the bigger person. Any ordinary ultrantionalistic stupid oompa loompa could have gone to war with kumo for the hyuga or kushina incidents, quite frankly it is the easy way out. How many could see past the anger of the whole thing and realize that the best way to save lives is to avoid a stupid war altogether? Certainly the issue with the sand village was a direct result of not dealing with orochimaru but can it all be attributed to the sandaime? The sandaime was not responsible for the crisis the sand village was going through. Orochimaru made it possible for the sand village to invade konoha on even terms but what would have happened without orochimaru? Simply, the sand village would have had to look for other allies to attack the leaf...

It was not that sarutobi lacked authority but rather he was not the only one who had it. He was never the only one to make decisions as people here seem to believe.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member chilibun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@kkck The reason why I say the Hyuga incident is a failure is because as the leader of the village you cannot show weakness and make concessions when pressured. If you give a bully a dollar today, he'll know he can get another dollar from you tomorrow. Kumogakure is clearly wrong here by breaching the peace treaty with the kidnapping. You can't reward bad behavior or else they'll keep doing it. Perhaps I'm just rationalizing it too much with real life scenarios.

From my understanding, Hiruzen did not support the Uchiha massacre. He just couldn't prevent Danzou and the rest of the elders from carrying it out. He was more of a bystander here than a decision maker.

You might have a point on how much power he actually had though, but from my understanding, the Hokage has the final say. The elders and Danzou may have a lot of political power, but the Hokage still has authority over them. The jounins, anbu, and pretty all the ninjas in the village follows the Hokage above anyone else.
    Last edited by chilibun; July 28, 2010 at 08:30 PM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Sarutobi is a crappy leader. He was close with many people, and fought for them. If it weren't for his resolve, Orochimaru may succeeded in destroying Konoha. Sarutobi, like his predecessors, sought peace and despite being one of the strongest, did not seek to gain more power. He considered Konoha his family and sought to defend it, inheriting Shodaime and Niidaime's will of fire. He passed on that will of fire to almost everyone in Konoha, especially during death.

He did all he could to protect Konoha, which apparently was successful enough since Konoha's still bustling. Unless it's stated otherwise, I still think Hiru fought Kyuubi, which isn't too bad considering his age.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilibun View Post
    @kkck The reason why I say the Hyuga incident is a failure is because as the leader of the village you cannot show weakness and make concessions when pressured. If you give a bully a dollar today, he'll know he can get another dollar from you tomorrow. Kumogakure is clearly wrong here by breaching the peace treaty with the kidnapping. You can't reward bad behavior or else they'll keep doing it. Perhaps I'm just rationalizing it too much with real life scenarios.

From my understanding, Hiruzen did not support the Uchiha massacre. He just couldn't prevent Danzou and the rest of the elders from carrying it out. He was more of a bystander here than a decision maker.

You might have a point on how much power he actually had though, but from my understanding, the Hokage has the final say. The elders and Danzou may have a lot of political power, but the Hokage still has authority over them. The jounins, anbu, and pretty all the ninjas in the village follows the Hokage above anyone else.
    What weakness? The hiruzen had 2 choices here. One was to go to war while the other was to give in. Unfortunately there is no middle ground here. It's not like kumo would say they went after hinata is such a situation. They just had to deny they went after hinata and say whoever tried to kidnap her was murdered for no reason. Basically, konoha was never in a good position either. Kumo can be as wrong as evil as they get but it does not change the fact that a war at that stage for 1 man would not help either nation.

hiruzen tried to reach a truce with the uchiha and failed.
    http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/400/09/
    What happens when a truce is not reached? You strike first and you strike hard without sparing a single one of them. Hiruzen might have been against this in principle but he allowed it to happen because even he did not see a way around it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Askia32's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiruzen is not a crappy leader in my opinion. He has done alot of good and has allowed the village to flourish. I believe he is a good leader, but not great. If he wasn't such a passive observer and kind of naive, he could of been great if not a legend.
    2010 World Series Champs SF GIANTS!!!

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast