Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Lost in Translation: Number 503

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member boyakist4649's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Lost in Translation: Number 503

There were a couple things (especially during the Minato-Kushina conversation towards the end) that were markedly different/absent from the scanslations. I hope it helps. ^^
    As usual, original translation in bold - mine in italics.

p5
    Minato: "No, I already did! He's no longer your weapon!"
    Minato: "Now the Kyuubi is no longer yours" No mention of weapon. Minato essentially continues on Madara's assumption that the Kyuubi is no longer under his control.

p6
    Iruka mom: "Iruka... are you hurt?"
    Iruka mom: "Iruka... are you okay?"

Iruka dad: "Cut the crap! Parents are supposed to protect their children"
    Iruka dad" "Don't get carried away! It is the parents' role to protect their children!"

p7
    The third: "Where is Minato?"
    The third: "Minato, where are you?" The Third is not unknowing of Minato's whereabouts. He knows that Minato is out there - he just doesn't know exactly where Minato is currently located. The text does not imply the Third's questioning of Minato - but rather a call for Minato's help.

p8
    Madara: "...but someday it will be mine again." "The fox, and this whole world, will bow to my will. Many doors are still left open to me."
    Madara: "But the Kyuubi will eventually become mine..." "I am the supreme being of this world... I have plenty of other ways"

p9
    Kurenai: "That's a load of crap and you know it!"
    Kurenai: "Don't say such selfish things!"

Kurenai dad: "If nothing else, survive long enough to give me a grandchild and pass the will of fire on to them! Promise me at least that.... I will put my faith in you."
    Kurenai dad: "Just pass on the will of fire onto the one who will be my grandchild! Make that your promise (to me,) your father...
    I have faith in you.
    "

p10
    Third: "Not again...!"
    this is referring to the black chakra attack (the black sphere attack) by Kyuubi

p11:
    Madara: "The fox, and this whole world, will bow to my will."
    Madara: "I am the supreme being of this world..."

Bunta: "Look, I may be big, but I'm not a miracle worker!"
    Bunta: "Even I won't be able to hold this guy down for long!"

Minato: "I need enough chakra to take him and the blast out of here!"
    Minato: "in order to transport something this large - I need a large amount of chakra!"

p13
    Minato: "Gotta put up a barrier"
    Missing text (p13 frame2): Minato thinks to himself "My chakra is... (running out)"
    Kushina: "My chakra's almost drained..."
    Kushina: "I can still... (fight) ...Minato..."

p14
    Kushina: "That'll prevent it from coming back... for a while.."
    Kushina: "That way... we can postpone the return of the Kyuubi...for a while... "

p15
    Minato: "You made me your husband... you made me into the fourth hokage"
    Minato: "You made me into the fourth hokage... you made me into your man (husband is implied - though the term used here is 'man')"

Kushina: "Don't look so sad... Minato. I'm... I'm happy. Happy that you loved me. Happy that it's... our son's... birthday."
    Kushina: "Minato, don't look so sad. I'm... happy. I'm loved by you... and... today... is this boy's birthday...."

p16
    Kushina: "like... if I try to imagine surviving and the three of us... living together... I can't think of anything... beyond "I'd be so happy."
    Kushina: "Above all...If I were to be... alive... the three of us living as a family...just imagining that future... I can't imagine anything else but... happiness..." "happiness" is a term/concept often used in Japanese culture, shiawase, is often referring to 'true bliss" or a state of true happiness.

Kushina: "It would be that I won't see Naruto grow up."
    Kushina: "It would be that I wouldn't be able to see Naruto all grown up..." Key translational difference here.... Kushina is specifically referring to a "grown up" Naruto. Not of Naruto growing up.

Minato: "...we can use our last bit of chakra to see Naruto one more time!"
    Minato: "...you need to use your remaining bit of chakra to see that (the grown up) Naruto...?" Minato is specifically referencing this current event that we are witnessing - Naruto talking to his mother.

p17
    Minato: "...it's just too great, it's physically and conceptually impossible to completely seal it all."
    Minato: "...I cannot physically (completely) seal something this powerful... and strategically, it won't be good." The "strategy" that Minato is referring to is the power balance of the tailed beasts. The fact that a nine-tail Jinchuuriki will be absent from Konoha implicates the loss of powere balances of one or both of the following: (1) the balance of power between villages or (2) the balance of power with the tailed beasts themselves (now that we have insight into the ten-tail, it may have something to do with that - not that Minato would really know the details of this - but he may know of other reasons why the tailed beasts must be balanced)

p19
    Minato: "Have a little faith!" "He is our son after all!"
    Minato: "Let's believe in this child!" "After all, he is our son!!"

sorry - I was in a bit of a rush... I will follow-up with any individual questions on this post!
    Last edited by boyakist4649; July 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Spoiler show

北斗百烈拳!
    ( -_-)=○アタ☆=○アタ☆=○アター☆)°o°)痛!

2. Thanks 42 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kayjin927's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lost in Translation: Number 503

Once again, thanks for the awesome clarification. Makes everything make a lot more sense.
    "— all these Dark Lords intent on creating wastelands packed with enslaved victims ... for what?"

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Cameroon
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you boyakist4649 !
    Please can you clarify page 17 when Minato says "with a seal only a non jinchuuriki like me can use ..." ?
    Does he mean that a non-jinchuuriki cannot use another seal than Shiki fuujin, to seal a tailed beast ?
    Does it imply that a jinchuuriki cannot use Shiki fuujin or can he?
    PAIN-sama to Tsunade-hime: "I want you to feel PAIN, to think about PAIN, to accept PAIN, to know PAIN."

Raikage-sama to Naruto: "I will kill Sasuke. It's up to you to make sure it stops there !!"

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nianiote View Post
    Thank you boyakist4649 !
    Please can you clarify page 17 when Minato says "with a seal only a non jinchuuriki like me can use ..." ?
    Does he mean that a non-jinchuuriki cannot use another seal than Shiki fuujin, to seal a tailed beast ?
    Does it imply that a jinchuuriki cannot use Shiki fuujin or can he?
    Minato was saying that he is not a Jinchuuriki, therefore the only way he could seal the tailed beast was through the Shiki fuujin. And even then, it appears as though that he could not completely seal the Kyuubi on his own, as he had to split up the Kyuubi chakra between himself and his son. I guess this further emphasizes how special each of these Jinchuuriki are in terms of being able to seal - and at times fully control - these tailed beasts.
    Spoiler show

北斗百烈拳!

6. Thanks 12 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks so much for your effort. I really enjoy your take on naruto translations.

You show great knowledge and understanding of japanese and english language, and of Naruto universe as well!

Please continue with this!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much..

P11 - Minato: "in order to transport something this large - I need a large amount of chakra!"

This line by Minato makes me think that he had to gather Sage chakra to teleport Kyuubi away from the Village. That's the only think I can mustard out of this line because if you look back at the panel he seem to have paused/stood still while Boss bunta was holding Kyuubi down for him. I understand that showing Minato as a Sage wouldn't have much relevance but to be extra strong we know that Toads (including Naruto, Jiraya and Minato) can gather nature energy to form Sage Chakra.

Again this goes to help us understand that his teleportation technique requires a lot of chakra.

Thanks - Boyakist

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boyakist4649 View Post
    Minato was saying that he is not a Jinchuuriki, therefore the only way he could seal the tailed beast was through the Shiki fuujin. And even then, it appears as though that he could not completely seal the Kyuubi on his own, as he had to split up the Kyuubi chakra between himself and his son. I guess this further emphasizes how special each of these Jinchuuriki are in terms of being able to seal - and at times fully control - these tailed beasts.
    Wow - this has totally different meaning than the mangastream translation.
    So Minato said he is a non-jinchuuriki and because of that he has to use Shiki Fuujin. And he didnt say that a jinchuuriki cant use Shiki Fuujin.....

.....if i understand you correct ?!

And btw are you a native speaker or "just" a very skillfull student who learned japanese ?

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kheopz View Post
    Thank you so much..

P11 - Minato: "in order to transport something this large - I need a large amount of chakra!"

This line by Minato makes me think that he had to gather Sage chakra to teleport Kyuubi away from the Village. That's the only think I can mustard out of this line because if you look back at the panel he seem to have paused/stood still while Boss bunta was holding Kyuubi down for him. I understand that showing Minato as a Sage wouldn't have much relevance but to be extra strong we know that Toads (including Naruto, Jiraya and Minato) can gather nature energy to form Sage Chakra.

Again this goes to help us understand that his teleportation technique requires a lot of chakra.

Thanks - Boyakist
    Thanks for your kind words!

Although I don't agree 100% - I appreciate the point of view. I think the Hiraishin technique definitely requires a LOT of chakra, as Minato seems bottomed out. I don't know about Sage mode, but it is mentioned in the series that Bunta and the elderly toad sage (to-chan) knew Minato pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by sindergi View Post
    Wow - this has totally different meaning than the mangastream translation.
    So Minato said he is a non-jinchuuriki and because of that he has to use Shiki Fuujin. And he didnt say that a jinchuuriki cant use Shiki Fuujin.....

.....if i understand you correct ?!

And btw are you a native speaker or "just" a very skillfull student who learned japanese ?
    Yes - that's what Minato said. Shiki Fuujin is all he can do because he is not a Jinchuuriki. He specifically says:

"The sealing technique that I can use, since I am not a Jinchuuriki, is the Shiki Fuujin."

And yes, I am a Japanese - and I started to learn English in intermediate school ^^
    so Japanese is my native language and English is my second language. For me this site is is good practice for my English ^^;
    Last edited by boyakist4649; July 27, 2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Spoiler show

北斗百烈拳!

11. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, very awesome. I wonder how many more of these you have done.. I'm about to go back so many chapters to read up on stuff.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes - that's what Minato said. Shiki Fuujin is all he can do because he is not a Jinchuuriki. He specifically says:

"The sealing technique that I can use, since I am not a Jinchuuriki, is the Shiki Fuujin."
    But that doesn't make sense to me. I mean does that mean all this time jinchuruki could only be sealed by people who were already jinchuruki or were using the death god seal? I thought that Minato or the third invented that jutsu and no one else knew it.

Further how can this be true when Minato used the four element seal to seal Kyuubi in Naruto, not the death god seal, so why was sending himself into supposedly eternal torment in the shinigami's stomach necessary?

Further is it any clearer in Japanese what the significance of splitting the kyuubi's chakra in half was? Are we to believe the kyuubi we've seen all this time inside Naruto is really at only half strength? I mean it still is at full size, it still has nine tails, and when we've seen its power in action (when it was nearly released against Nagato,) it seemed just as powerful as it did when it was "whole" in this sixteen year ago flashback.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryodraco View Post
    But that doesn't make sense to me. I mean does that mean all this time jinchuruki could only be sealed by people who were already jinchuruki or were using the death god seal? I thought that Minato or the third invented that jutsu and no one else knew it.

Further how can this be true when Minato used the four element seal to seal Kyuubi in Naruto, not the death god seal, so why was sending himself into supposedly eternal torment in the shinigami's stomach necessary?

Further is it any clearer in Japanese what the significance of splitting the kyuubi's chakra in half was? Are we to believe the kyuubi we've seen all this time inside Naruto is really at only half strength? I mean it still is at full size, it still has nine tails, and when we've seen its power in action (when it was nearly released against Nagato,) it seemed just as powerful as it did when it was "whole" in this sixteen year ago flashback.
    The above post was the literal translation. However, if you look back at the series, it appears as though every village had to choose carefully who the Jinchuuriki would be. This would imply that a certain characteristic/criteria may be a prerequisite, therefore not making everyone a suitable vessel. Minato's statement simply means that he could not seal the Kyuubi by becoming a Jinchuuriki himself.

As for the seal used for Naruto, the Hakke Fuuin, it was previously mentioned that little is known about the details of the sealing technique itself. This techinique was implicated as the reason why Naruto could see Minato and Kushina (During the Pein fight, as well as right now). Being that Kushina knew what the Shiki Fuujin was when Minato mentioned it, it is probably safe to assume that it was an Uzumaki sealing technique (or an adapted version of one by Minato).

Finally, to address whether the Kyuubi is at "half" strength. I believe that it was described that the Kyuubi chakra was divided into the 陰(yin) and 陽(yang/you). As to what that means, it remains to be revealed. Technically, it is still "half", and not described as "50%."Although reading through this chapter, it seems like Minato could not fully seal the Kyuubi via Shiki Fuujin, and he had to seal the remaining bit to Naruto via Hakke Fuuin. It's not entirely described in Japanese either, but it may be safe to assume that Minato purposefully divided the Kyuubi's strength (perhaps in a way that didn't actually weaken the Kyuubi chakra), because he knew that Madara would be a problem in the future - and that Naruto would be the one to eventually confront him.

Whew.
    I hope that clarified at least the translation part... sorry if it created more confusion. For further details we would need to search for remaining Uzumaki clan members about their sealing techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by SenninSage View Post
    Wow, very awesome. I wonder how many more of these you have done.. I'm about to go back so many chapters to read up on stuff.
    I'd be more than happy to clarify specific questions you may have - as I have only read the English scanslations carefully since #500. I would love to go back and look through the translations, however I just don't have that kind of time .

We can always have a separate thread where we can discuss past translations too - so any reader can look through it. (^^)b
    Last edited by boyakist4649; July 28, 2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Spoiler show

北斗百烈拳!

15. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The above post was the literal translation. However, if you look back at the series, it appears as though every village had to choose carefully who the Jinchuuriki would be. This would imply that a certain characteristic/criteria may be a prerequisite, therefore not making everyone a suitable vessel. Minato's statement simply means that he could not seal the Kyuubi by becoming a Jinchuuriki himself.

As for the seal used for Naruto, the Hakke Fuuin, it was previously mentioned that little is known about the details of the sealing technique itself. This techinique was implicated as the reason why Naruto could see Minato and Kushina (During the Pein fight, as well as right now). Being that Kushina knew what the Shiki Fuujin was when Minato mentioned it, it is probably safe to assume that it was an Uzumaki sealing technique (or an adapted version of one by Minato).
    I get that Minato could not become a jinchuruki himself, but that doesn't explain why he needed the death god to seal it, or your statement that he could have meant it was the only way for a non-jinchuruki to seal it anywhere.

I mean why not just use the four element seal to seal all of the kyuubi into Naruto? Wouldn't a full kyuubi maintain the balance of the tailed beasts better than half of one? Wouldn't access to a full kyuubi give Naruto more power to fight Madara?

I understand that the manga may have simply not answered any of this adequately and may never, but wanted to be clear on my meaning.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Thabor's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryodraco View Post
    Wouldn't a full kyuubi maintain the balance of the tailed beasts better than half of one? Wouldn't access to a full kyuubi give Naruto more power to fight Madara?
    If it isn't mentioned in the translations the best we can do is guess. I don't have the original to look at, but I would guess Minato could have meant that strategically it wasn't good, because he didn't want Madara to have an easy way to recover it.
    Hey Kishi, even Madara knows...

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thabor View Post
    If it isn't mentioned in the translations the best we can do is guess. I don't have the original to look at, but I would guess Minato could have meant that strategically it wasn't good, because he didn't want Madara to have an easy way to recover it.
    I agree... in addition it may have something to do with obtaining control over the Kyuubi. Minato couldn't seal the Kyuubi all by himself, and it's hard to believe that a baby which is only a few minutes/hours old could exceed Minato in its capacity to seal the Kyuubi.

I hope to hear more clarification in the future, however I don't think we will get a fully satisfactory explanation. I think the story will shift onto the 'new' seal that Naruto has made - and its possible involvement with the Rikudou-sennin. After all, Kishimoto did focus on the Rikudou-sennin on two separate occasions (During the Pein fight and Madara's conversation with the Kage's).

Either way, I don't think diving into the case as to why the seal was physically divided into two portions, and how it was theoretically set apart would yield any satisfactory conclusions. Discussing it is sure fun though - the purpose of these boards, I guess. ^_^b
    Spoiler show

北斗百烈拳!

19. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh thank you so much, I knew the original translations were going to be a bit off last week since the poor translators were in such a rush...this clears up quite a lot. Your input is really really appreciated, hope to see you continue doing this!!

New Reply