Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: The way the anime portrays canon

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revolation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The way the anime portrays canon

Asides from fillers, do you like the way the anime portrays canon things? for one i don't watch the anime much but i've noticed where at some parts, the anime can show a little extra insight to a particular scene without ruining the canon.

for example, they might show a characters reactions to another's battle(specifically in FKKT arc), where as in the manga it didn't.

while some people negate the anime and are manga-thumpers

and right around the corner there are some anime purists(if thats possible, lol)

so what are you? i mean the anime purists don't(and can't) negate the manga since that would be dumb for fans a a anime based on manga, but they just prefer it to the manga.
    Bleach 354-356 spoiler and chapter discussions. Most hilarious ones ever. How hueco mundo and The Lust arc killed "ichihime"
    Spoiler: What happened with Nel and Kenpachi after Ichigo went to Ulqiorra(vol 39 sketches) show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member El Samurai Guapo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The way the anime portrays canon

Quote Originally Posted by Revolation View Post
    Asides from fillers, do you like the way the anime portrays canon things? for one i don't watch the anime much but i've noticed where at some parts, the anime can show a little extra insight to a particular scene without ruining the canon.

for example, they might show a characters reactions to another's battle(specifically in FKKT arc), where as in the manga it didn't.

while some people negate the anime and are manga-thumpers

and right around the corner there are some anime purists(if thats possible, lol)

so what are you? i mean the anime purists don't(and can't) negate the manga since that would be dumb for fans a a anime based on manga, but they just prefer it to the manga.
    Well I started watching the Bleach anime first, before I became a fan of the manga, so really there's no way I could criticize either of them. I owe it to the anime for introducing me to bleach, and the manga is the canon story which that anime is based off of so...
    ...I like them both equally.

I don't watch the bleach anime filler arcs though. Thankfully the bleach animators make it easy for you to skip them since they pause the main story and start the filler in I guess some sort of alternate universe, unlike Naruto where they try and tie in the fillers with the canon storyline.

Now, the things I like about the anime that the manga lacks are obviously the BGM, the awesome seiyuus (japanese voice actors), and cool sound effects. I couldn't care less about extra added dialogue, I just like the fact that animation is more immersive because it's a full audiovisual presentation.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the anime can be a good reference provided they stick to the manga completely. Provided it does stick, the anime can make things considerably clearer. Other than that, I don't think the fillers shown have any worth.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Xsoteria's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I too started out with the anime, which was done pretty well, I may say. Canon-wise, I don't have much issues, since I pretty much watch the anime simply for the thrill of the battle.

Manga has its charms and battles there are pretty awesome in their own way, but if done right anime beats the manga experience battle-wise, since there's often great music, sound effects and actual motion.

But I can't really watch anime for too long because it's often done not as great as it could be, there's a lot of pretty audacious stalling which puts me out of the mood, and when I see a filler coming up, my gag reflex starts up.

But I did watch some of the fillers, and I liked some parts of them. Mostly because I watched them when I was bored and watched them more for humour aspect. Though, some of the filler battles can be pretty thrilling and interesting, if you think of it as another anime, or some alternate universe and can be enjoyable. But generally, they are even more lame and often boring (save for Matsumoto and Kon fillers). I think of fillers the same as I do about movies.

Oh and also, what OP said. Sometimes anime can present some canon things in a way superior to manga. For instance, when Kubo (who IMO, isn't that great of an artist) just leaves a big ink spill on the page that supposedly represents some bang or something, and you can only discern what it is when you read the next few pages, anime clears it up. Sometimes.
    Brigands demand your money or your life; women require both.
    Better be nice to them

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as it doesn't significantly affect the events in the manga, I'm all fine for how the anime portrays the canon. We all know that the manga chapters for Bleach have little dialogue in them most of the time, and it is necessary for the anime to have the characters talk more. Kubo lightly deals with events in the storyline such as multiple battles at the same time (i.e. Rukia VS Rudobone when Ichigo is fighting Ulquiorra).

I am not a manga purist, although I become annoyed when the anime decides to cut out material in the manga or censor it for the live audiences. For example, Aizen hypnotizing the other three gate guards of the Seireitei before Jirobou and Kukaku comes in to save the day. I told a friend of mine that they cut out that part of the manga from the anime, and he shrugged it off. That event wasn't a huge deal, and the anime got the jist of the situation.

The anime could do a little better to show off the canon, but all in all, they're doing a good job as of now.

New Reply