Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Luffy's message to his nakama

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luffy's message to his nakama

Quote Originally Posted by fullmoon View Post
    I think if that is the message then the reaction of all SH must be all the "Why?" "No!" "I don't wanna" and uneasy faces not all that "Roger!!" and smiling and understanding since 2 yrs is not gonna be short.

Thats what confused me too ^^
    But it would explain Namis reaction that Luffy acts selfish.
    And remember what Luffys main thought was when he realied how much he needs and misses his nakama: "I am weak"
    Maybe he and the others realise that this is the only way and therefore they accept it.
    Especially Robin know what it means to be hunted and to hide.
    Btw - Ussop and Chopper have tears running out there eyes

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deo_df View Post
    nah 16 represents which island number to go to on shabondy
    Why would luffy send a message like that. If luffy wants to meet his crew in the 16th island all he has to do is get there and let the vivre card do its job. In other words, there is no need for luffy to do such a thing if he just intents to meet his crew at the SA. Whatever luffy did ONLY makes sense assuming he intents to altogether avoid in some form or another the SA.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

So as was said, I'll discount the "place" theory since Vivre Card works for that.

I doubt it's a date because was Luffy himself who wnated to see their nakamas and I doubt their nakamas after this long would want to see him later. More when it's not a real danger to meet right now.

So my bet is that Luffy wanted to say something else. What? I don't know. But I doubt it's a date or a place, it's something that goes further than that.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The place theory can't be discounted... The vivre card the strawhats have all leave towards shakky at the SA. In that sense, the message should involve altogether a change in place and probably in timing.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the tattoo is an important part of the message; we can't read it so why the hell should they be able to? Too much depends on the whims of photographers. It's impressively mind-boggling, one of us must have it right as it can't be too cunning or Chopper/Zoro wouldn't get it, it can't be something based on a shared experience like the bell of Shandia because Brooke hasn't been with them long enough, but it can't be something that someone else who knows Luffy well but hasn't sailed with them, like Coby or Garp, would get either.
    I'd love to know if the bell/ sailing round the island as a memorial thing is based on a maritime tradition though, anyone know?

Also if Rayleigh remotely wants them to survive he wouldn't encourage them to all make their way to the New World on their own, from what we've seen. splitting up and running in different directions resulted in disaster last time.

Most important, as other people said, Luffy really wants to see his crew. he's not going to wait 2 years..

Change in place would be easy, they just have to move either Rayleigh or the other half of the paper, whichever the Vivre Card points to, to some obscure hiding place and wait; so it can't be that. And we've never seen the Strawhats show any interest in birthdays, despite any excuse for a celebration, and they've been sailing long enough that at least one crewmember should have had one. Nami for one couldn't possibly know what day she was born, unless she counts the day Bellemere adopted her. Unless it's a japanese culture thing that I've missed that people are assumed to know each other's birthdays, it won't be that.

I think for other reasons they will meet up soon and go to Fishman Island: the story has been in relentless crisis-mode ever since they split up, and in the past Oda let them have some fun between the more serious arcs, like the Davy Back fight and Thriller Bark. Camie and Hacchi, who must be in on the plan, were clearly discussing what they'd do when they got there.
    Last edited by Ratatosk; August 03, 2010 at 01:59 PM.

8. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Naruffy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me like the message was something along the lines of "get stronger so we won't get separated again" I don't know how they got it through the picture though.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

But even if Luffy knows he is 'weak', he is still the captain and the strongest member of the crew, and they are now being chased by countless people who are stronger than them, mainly because of his recent actions. Even if he's lost all his confidence/ambitions to be the Pirate King (which I doubt), he's going to want to protect the people he's got left. The best option for survival is to meet up.

And he's seen enough Haki to work it out for himself, without training arcs to slow the story down, let the rest of the Supernovas get ahead of him, and decrease the reader's respect for his independence. The best thing about One Piece fights is people making it up on the fly.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    The best option for survival is to meet up.
    Cant see your point why its safer to meet up with one of the most wanted criminals in the world who had a flashback that clearly stated hes too weak to guard those he loves than staying on the islands they are on?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my thought (copied from the discussion thread):

So, his message was something like : "I'm fine, I'm training. Train yourself where Kuma sent you and we will see each other in x months/years"

Maybe some people were right and the tatoo is SA2Y
    The crossed S and A are for Sabo and Ace, but it also means Sabaody Archipelago in 2 years.

Are we going to get a 2 years timeskip?

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Two years thing seems far too stretched to take it seriously, at least for me. I think they will "train" a bit more and meet in two weeks.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

2 weeks?
    It would take more than that for some of them to just get out of their islands...

And that's not even counting that they would have to make their way back to their rendez-vous point...

Although, I agree that 2 years is pretty long, if we consider that they haven't even been all together for 1 years (especially the new recruits, Franky and Brooke).

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no 'A' in Luffy's tattoo. It says;

S
    P
    Y

This is why, the 'P' can't mean Archipelago. However, it could mean Pirates, as previously mentioned in this discussion.

I do agree, though, that two years is an awful long time to wait, both for Luffy and his crew. But two years may be the only way for us to notice a change in the characters (if Oda has decided to do a time-skip). After all, the starting characters hasn't changed that much in one year. Right?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    I don't think the tattoo is an important part of the message; we can't read it so why the hell should they be able to? Too much depends on the whims of photographers.
    I'm with this. I wouldn't focus on the tattoo too much since it would be Luffy's actions that would get reported far more easily. I mean, if the tattoo was the message, then all the newspaper needed to do was get Luffy on the slightly wrong angle (which it did anyway. I can't make out the tattoo), and the message would fail.

Look at his actions for the meaning, not the number of bandages he was wearing or a barely legible tattoo.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hossice's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the first page posts and maybe it means 3 months 16 days. the silent thing was meant to say "stay on the DL for now and gather yourself" (flowers=relaxing??)
    twitter.com/mahossice - follow back!

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I've finally understood a bit of Luffy's message. When Lieutenant Brandnew said Luffy took a battleship at MHQ and sailed around the bay, Luffy was actually leaving the island with a stolen ship - as if he was heading for SA - and then suddenly came back to do something - in his case pay respect to Ace's death place.

It was to tell his crewmates to stay or to return where they were sent by Kuma because they also had something to do there. That explains Chopper's decision to fly back after he understood Luffy's message.

So if we really have guessed what the ringing bell or/and the tatoo mean - probably a time to gather - then we've understood Luffy's full message ! By the way, I'm surprised nobody talked about the sailing meaning before.
    Last edited by Lord Rayleigh; August 04, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast