Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Luffy's message to his nakama

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wing_gundam's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luffy's message to his nakama

It's not DBZ he's a fan of, it's Naruto...

Go look at any of the threads back on Jiraiya's death it's the same. What does the code mean?

Well all we knew (esp as the chapters were winding down) was it was a code that only Naruto would know.

Here's a code that only the Strawhats know. And guess what? It's right after Ace's death. Oda took this from Naruto and that's the best clue we have if you want to solve it early! (Best is just to wait)

So Jiraiya's code to the SH's is only something they'd recognize. I'm guessing it relates to Luffy's past. Maybe the whole thing we just saw was a clue... maybe it relates to

a) Windmill town
    b) Goa kingdom
    c) Dragon
    d) Shanks
    e) all of the above

Personally I think it's all gonna come together - they will all meet in Goa using Dragon's network and influences. Will probably meet up with Shanks (who seems to be able to travel any distance instantly too), but I think they'll meet there and then attempt the journey again (they can probably cross the calm belt anywhere when they're ready) and just head straight to the new world.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ish3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing_gundam View Post
    It's not DBZ he's a fan of, it's Naruto...

Go look at any of the threads back on Jiraiya's death it's the same. What does the code mean?

Well all we knew (esp as the chapters were winding down) was it was a code that only Naruto would know.

Here's a code that only the Strawhats know. And guess what? It's right after Ace's death. Oda took this from Naruto and that's the best clue we have if you want to solve it early! (Best is just to wait)

So Jiraiya's code to the SH's is only something they'd recognize. I'm guessing it relates to Luffy's past. Maybe the whole thing we just saw was a clue... maybe it relates to

a) Windmill town
    b) Goa kingdom
    c) Dragon
    d) Shanks
    e) all of the above

Personally I think it's all gonna come together - they will all meet in Goa using Dragon's network and influences. Will probably meet up with Shanks (who seems to be able to travel any distance instantly too), but I think they'll meet there and then attempt the journey again (they can probably cross the calm belt anywhere when they're ready) and just head straight to the new world.
    Nice post and all but this has nothing to do with Naruto. At all. It's a nice comparison but Oda has done this before. Like during Alabasta. I hate when people do with with any of the big three. As of now it's obvious he wants them to train before rejoining so they aren't defeated. For how long? I'm not sure. Where exactly? Don't know. But what we do know is it will take at least a month or so. Also Luffy needs his own improvement as well he has gotten a lot of battle experience with the strongest fighters lately.
    Last edited by ish3; August 06, 2010 at 01:10 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I think people are missing a very big statement that was made by killer. Yes he got the meaning behind it wrong but it still gave a very big hint...

Spoiler show

He stated that ringing it 16 times signifies the end of a year and the biggining of another... Hint hint hint... Obviously luffy is trying to tell them that he wants them to meet up on new years day. He doesn't need to tell them where to meet since they have the vivra card and can all meet up with rayliegh. He didn't tell them how long to wait till they meet up, he simply gave them a date that they should all meet each other at... I don't know how long new years is from the time they are at but that's my analisis of his message...

4. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's not that simple. He also circled Marineford 3 times. No idea what it mean... but you are right about the Vivre card thing, there is no need to tell a place.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member fcToho's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fox666 View Post
    Well, it's not that simple. He also circled Marineford 3 times. No idea what it mean... but you are right about the Vivre card thing, there is no need to tell a place.
    Well, I don't know where it was stated, but some fella posted, that the tattoo says: 3D2Y (3 and D are crossed out), which means they shouldn't (or couldn't ) meet in 3 days, like they were saying. Instead they should meat in 2 years.
    So this would explain the tattoo, the 3 circles and the 16 rings.

Not my theory, but it came to my mind by reading about the 3 circles.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner rexeren's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

if the tattoo's meaning could be put aside for the moment, Luffy circling marinford 3 times could mean: let's meet again after 3 full moons/3 months

reason: I'm not really sure how the island is shaped, but I remember the bay was crescent, like half a moon

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bowser's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    . Hint hint hint... Obviously luffy is trying to tell them that he wants them to meet up on new years day.
    Question: Does everyone know what 16 bells actually mean though? Doesnt sound like Kidd knew about it until Killer explained it. Would people like Zoro understand this?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skyrius's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm, well circling an area ONCE by boat is a real life marine act for "burial at sea" based off of traditions from the British Navy during the great age of piracy (or was it twice? I don't remember off the top of my head). I don't know which translation everyone read, but the one I saw never mentioned circling 3 times.

Also, on the note of Luffy's tatoo, I couldn't make it out well enough to know for sure that it said SA2Y or whatever the theory is, so we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions. Besides, whose to say that the picture shown to us was the ONLY picture to show up in the newspaper? There might very well be one that has a full shot of the tatoo.

I still think the key is in the 16 bells though, since ringing it 2 times marks disaster (which is what Luffy would have done if it was only to mourn the losses) so ringing it 16 times means something else. I don't agree with the new year theory, since there's no indication that all the crew members would catch the significance. Like mentioned, Kidd didn't even know until Killer explained.

All in all though, I'm sure Oda will come up with an acceptable explanation and I'll be smacking my head going "Duh! I should've seen that!"

EDIT:: Alternatively, it could be some information that most characters of the time would know of (like some sort of tradition for sailors) that won't be revealed to us until later.

Another thing I noticed, while I agree it probably doesn't refer to a place, it might not refer to a time either. Remember that Luffy has no idea where his crew is. So the whole 16 days of weeks or whatever might very well not be enough time to get to where they're meeting. Keep in mind it took Roger 3 years to conquer the Grand Line. The passage of time might not be clear in Luffy's adventure, but traveling the Grand Line takes a significant amount of time under normal circumstances. Although, one of my long standing theories is that Luffy will beat Roger's record, so who knows, I could just be rendering my own point moot XD

However, outside of a time or place, I can't think of any other significance the message could have, so I may very well be wrong.
    Last edited by Skyrius; August 16, 2010 at 08:07 PM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

tbh i think alot of people are forgetting something

if this entire adventure is only 1 year ... than why did coby change SO MUCH

I mean the first time we met him he looked like 13 years old and now he looks like 16-17 years old.

You can't just change a character this much in only a couple of months.

And if this was intentional ... than that would really screw up the story imo.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

ya in the chapter that i read, it stated that they circle the island once not three times... And once is exactly what you said Skyrius, barial at sea. As for your objections for my theare, you have a right to your own opinons but i'm betting it's that. I mean ya Kidd didn't know about it but he seems to me like an idiot, and remember, Zoro also didn't get it at first either but we all know that he's not that big of an idiot, only when it comes to directions is he a moron.

As for the tattoo, no one should be mentioning it yet since Oda didn't make it clear in the chapter which means that he doesn't want us to know what it say's but he sure wanted us to know that he had gotten a new one... Something tells me it's just a tattoo similar to ace's, plain in simple... just to remember his brother and honor him.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the tattoo simply being in honor of Ace. I can't imagine Luffy getting it just to deliver a message. However, about Coby, Oda's actually commented about that in an SBS. He was asked how Coby changed so much in such a short time and his reply was that Coby just hit a growth spurt and tightened his muscles through training. Something like that is possible in real life, if difficult. But this is One Piece, where the difficult seems ridiculously easy XD Besides, Oda's always maintained that less than a year has passed. I don't see why it can't be true.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

ya concidering that coby has been training like crazy and has gotten hella stronger, it's not that big of a surprise that he's grown so much... And luffy himself even said that there was a limit to how much someone should grow... Which means that even in the manga Coby grew faster then usual but still plausible...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This chapter, they mention Luffy's decision, which might mean that the message isn't so much a message but an announcement to his friends on what he's going to do from here on out. Franky's words might indicate that the Straw Hats are going to end up meeting in the New World.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy tatto:

Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone consider what Killer said in another way? what if....the 1st 8 bell rings are to thank the strawhats for the 1st half of the grand line, and the 2nd 8 rings are to pray for their trip into the new world?

Thread Closed
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast