Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will be next Admiral?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted zerocooldx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be next Admiral?

First off there may not even be a new Admiral, there was never a set number of Admirals that had to be maintained. But if there is 1-2 new Admirals than they will certainly have to be new, possibly WG side of the map, characters that can actually stand next to someone like Kizaru in terms of strength. It wouldn't make sense to just promote any of the known VA's seeing as how Oda clearly drew a line between them, with the exception of Garp, and the Admirals during the war against WB. For me its gotta be someone who can actually fill the shoes of being one of the greatest weapons of the Marines rather then someone just filling a position for the sake of having someone there.

"Upon the back of his body not a wound of retreat scars it."
    One Piece is a series created by a genius, it's a masterpiece, it's like a fine wine, it only gets better with time.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say there arent many new VAs from the New World. We know that the WG doesn't hold much influence in the NW, so I assume that G5 and the HQ (fromer G1) are the only bases there. G5 most likely has only two VAs, as both Smoker and Vergo were mentioned as the Heroes of G5.

We also know that most VAs were at the Marineford War, currently Vergo is the sole exception. The reason why he wasn't at Marineford is probably simple. Someone had to watch the New World, because the Marines didn't know when Whitebeard would attack, and also Kaidou and Shanks made their move as well, so it probably was better to have one high ranking Marine observing the situation.

At the war, we saw that the gap between Admirals and Vice Admirals is very high. The Admirals are the strongest enemys Luffy has faced. They were able to deal critical blows on Whitebeard, who defeated VAs in one shot. None of the current VAs are suited for that position.

But somehow thats perfectly fine. We all know that Luffy will have his revenge on Akainu, and Kizaru is both a kicker and a swordsmen...
    Also if there really is a limit of only three Admirals, then the current constelation mirrors Rogers time, as it seems Sengoku was the only Admiral here after Zephyr retired.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From the sounds of what Trafalgar and Aokiji said, there have been new admirals promoted. I'm betting that one of them is Strawberry.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone think Oda will simply introduce new characters that happen to be VA's to take up the two Admiral positions?
    Or will he pick people we already know.
    I'm expecting something like, Oda revealing that after the WB war, one of the VA's from Enies Lobby Buster Call~Bahstah Korru to have gained ahold of a DF in a similar fashion as to how Cipher Pol handed Kaku and Kalifa DF's.
    And then we get a VA who's power can now be what is required at Admiral level. A power that Luffy will get seriously pushed back against.
    Sort of.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Momonga is definitely not an Admiral though, that's for sure
    I excpect Onigumo, Doberman, you know those who share the same views as Akainu

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I expect an new and a known face to be promoted. I'm sure Sakazuki will prefer someone who's been fighting by his side in the Marineford war, the second one could be some famous pirate killing VA from the New World, if Akainu has a say in it. If it's Kong who has the decision, he may choose someone of the non brutal sort though to ballance the passions of their forces.
    Last edited by Schabrak; February 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Firm but Fair

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    Momonga is definitely not an Admiral though, that's for sure
    I excpect Onigumo, Doberman, you know those who share the same views as Akainu
    But in terms of strength can they even hold a candle to the power that Aokiji and Akainu and Kizaru possess?
    Since Admiral level can beat Luffy, whilst I see Luffy beating VA's in a one-on-one personally.

There is a big gap. Surely it would have to be somebody who has a DF ability too since we haven't had a guy in the Marines like Garp since... Well... Garp.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Other than Smoker, how many Vice Admirals have we really seen fight? Vice-Admiral is a rank, not a power level assessment. Vice-Admirals only need to be strong enough to competently fulfill the requirements of their job. There should be a considerable difference in strength between the younger Vice-Admirals and more tenured Vice-Admirals.

The new Admirals should not be as powerful as their predecessors are. They only need to be as powerful as Akainu, Aokiji, and Kizaru when they were newly appointed Admiral.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 24, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Other than Smoker, how many Vice Admirals have we really seen fight? Vice-Admiral is a rank, not a power level assessment. Vice-Admirals only need to be strong enough to competently fulfill the requirements of their job. There should be a considerable difference in strength between the younger Vice-Admirals and more tenured Vice-Admirals.

The new Admirals should not be as powerful as their predecessors are. They only need to be as powerful as Akainu, Aokiji, and Kizaru when they were newly appointed Admiral.
    I would disagree on VA not being a power assessment.
    So you're telling me, that there are weak VA's who could get their asses handed to them by Captains?

While in the Cipher Pol~Government Agents, rank means little as Spandam is quite highly ranked but he is ridiculously weak in terms of fighting.
    In the Marines, the next Admiral needs to be strong in relation to the current situation of the Pirate Era I believe.

I also think you're forgetting that Oda has it stated in:
    Vol. 60 Chapter 594 and Episode 512, Doctor Fishbonen states Haki is a power all the vice admirals use.

So there must be some sort of power assessment involved in how one is an Admiral, Vice Admiral, Rear Admiral, Commodore, Captain, Commander, Lt. Commander and so forth.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    I would disagree on VA not being a power assessment.
    So you're telling me, that there are weak VA's who could get their asses handed to them by Captains?
    That's not what I meant. There must be a minimum assessment, Vice-Admirals have to be strong enough to execute their basic job duties. But it is still a position, not a static description of strength. Strength could vary greatly between junior and senior Vice-Admirals. There are only three Admiral positions. Promotion from Vice-Admiral to Admiral could be blocked for years. Some could be strong enough to become Admirals, but if a position is not available, they would have to remain VA's.

We also can't compare the strength of the new Admirals to Akainu, Aokiji, and Kizaru. All three have been Marines for decades; they were not necessarily as strong when they were promoted to admiral as they are now. Both Aokiji and Akainu were already Vice-Admirals at the time of the Ohara incident, twenty years before the present storyline. That is a lot of time to develop, and grow stronger.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hina, Coby, T-Bone, Tashigi and Smoker, all captains, excluding Smoker having been promoted in the TS. Are you really gonna tell me that all of them were similarly strong? There is no reason to believe that the ranks until VA are anything but achievement based.
    Firm but Fair

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    That's not what I meant. There must be a minimum assessment, Vice-Admirals have to be strong enough to execute their basic job duties. But it is still a position, not a static description of strength. Strength could vary greatly between junior and senior Vice-Admirals. There are only three Admiral positions. Promotion from Vice-Admiral to Admiral could be blocked for years. Some could be strong enough to become Admirals, but if a position is not available, they would have to remain VA's.
    Indeed.
    And now that positions are available, surely they aren't just gonna recruit anybody, but people in terms of strength are near what is required to be an Admiral in the current era.
    Where there are currently various strong pirates out and about.

And, in the Marines, once you reach the Captain stage it really is a breakdown of strength as well as a rank though.
    The VA's will kick the asses of the the Commodores. The RA's will not be beating the VA's right now.

Personally, I think if there was a VA as strong as Aokiji, Kizaru etc. they would have definetely made him an Admiral too and had four.
    Can't see why the Marines wouldn't happily welcome a Marine that powerful to such a rank to help control the Pirate Era.

Your point is only valid if there were VA's so strong they could be compared to Aokiji. There are none as far as we know.
    So when recruiting a new Admiral, surely there will have to be a twist added where we find out they have much more power than we realized.

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Hina, Coby, T-Bone, Tashigi and Smoker, all captains, excluding Smoker having been promoted in the TS. Are you really gonna tell me that all of them were similarly strong? There is no reason to believe that the ranks until VA are anything but achievement based.
    True, but there must be a strength requirement from VA to Admiral.

The Smoker who was a captain and the current Coby or Tashigi right now, if they fought I dunno how it would play out. Perhaps in the latter's favour?
    You must also take into account plot, as Smoker was chosen to rival Luffy so Smoker was always going to be that guy who kept rising in strength.
    Similar with Coby.
    Although I agree that Achievement is the strong decider and that I was wrong there.

I just noticed Captain Nezumi. The punk that dug up the money under the tangerine tree and got his ass-kicked by Nami.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be someone we don't know yet. As it happened with Vergo. And it could be more than 3. (In fact, who wants to bet it will). But I would really like would be to have a woman admiral. We already have a major talent among the 'bad women pirates': Katarina. It would be nice to have a major female talent among Akainu's team.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The next Admirals absolutely HAVE to be at least on par with Kizaru/Aokiji. They don't have to be as strong but they have to be capable of going toe to toe with them evenly. If not then there would be no real value in the Admiral title. One Piece is a battle manga after all and won't go too far from it's roots.

This is why I really hope that Magellan is forced to leave Impel Down for some strange reason so we can see a rematch between him and Luffy. He is also a very strict marine and would make a perfect admiral.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece isn´t a battle manga

New Reply
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast