Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Nuance

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nuance

Hello! I'm having trouble pinpointing exactly what the nuance of a phrase should be. Panel two, I've translated as,

Quote Quote:
    おまえらの弱点はわかってんだ
    言わないとひとひねりで。。。

I knew you guys were weaklings,
    but I didn't expect you to be such pushovers !
    Spoiler show

The second line is where I'm uncertain if this is the best way to translate it. I can't imagine what the particle で is leading in to, so I've had to extrapolate the rest of the sentence. Should "[Don't tell me] [pushovers] で", be better interpreted as "Don't tell me you're pushovers", or "I won't tell anyone you're pushovers"?

Thank you so much for any help!

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ju-da-su's Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nuance

...No offense, but...it's not just the second line that you got wrong. Your first line is also wrong, tbh. I don't know enough context to translate the thing, but...this is how I'll put for both of them:

"I already know your weakness.
    If you don't say it, I'll beat you up easy..."

Note that it's お前ら弱点, "your weakness", so お前らの弱点はわかってんだ means literally "I know your weakness"...not "I know that you're a weakling." (since you don't have to be a weakling to have a weakness, no? >_>") I don't know where you get messed up with that though.

About the second sentence, meh, neither of the lines you suggest will work. It's 言わない, isn't it? Even if you get the で part (to answer to your question, I'm unsure if it'll be correct, since I'll need more context to understand what is going on in there, but since I searched, and ひとひねり seems to mean "to be easily defeated" or "to get through something easily", I would go with what I just translated...but will probably need more context for better picture of the situation... ._."), your sentence is bound to be off if you don't understand the relationship between 言わない and ひとねりで. To make it simple, when you have "A と B", providing that both A and B is some situations or conditions, not a single word noun and B isn't "to think, to say, etc" (anything that means to express something, either verbally or nonverbally), then it means "If A is done, then B will follow". -_-"

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, that second part makes sense now. Thank you very much!

I did know that 弱点 was "weakness", not "weaklings", but I felt I would be appropriate to translate it a little differently, since the literal translation for the first line felt awkward in English to me.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smaller View Post
    Ah, that second part makes sense now. Thank you very much!

I did know that 弱点 was "weakness", not "weaklings", but I felt I would be appropriate to translate it a little differently, since the literal translation for the first line felt awkward in English to me.
    Ju-da-su got his translation right semantically, so you can make your own variation of his translation now. The word, weakling, is not the one to use for the same reason that mentioned by Ju-da-su, If you do not like the word "weakness", then use a weak point. This is how I would translate the sentences. (Ultimately they are the same as Ju-da-su's.)

I know your weak point.
    Unless you confess, I can easily .....

The "....." is where "beat you" "crush you" or "kill you" fits. In raw, it is .... so that I did not fill in a verb(crush/kill/beat) to keep the original form.

Hitohineride ひとひねりで--> you can translate it as "easily" or "in a flash." It is also somewhat similar to "with a single punch." Readers know the verb after ひとひねりで is associated with fighting, so Ju-da-su's translation is just fine as is.

You did not like the sound of "I already know your weakness." then what do you think about changing that to "I know what your weakness is." (You can toss in "already" but I personally tend to do so when the line is おまえらの弱点はもう(もうすでに, すでに, or ちゃんと)わかってんだ)
    Last edited by mikkih; August 06, 2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Misspelling: hitonigiride ---> hitohineride

New Reply