Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sherlock

A contemporary adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes series, Sherlock was created by Steven Moffat (Coupling and Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss (League of Gentlemen). Martin Freeman (The Office) plays John Watson, a military doctor who has returned to London after being wounded in Afghanistan. Benedict Cumberbatch gives a marvelous performance as a decidedly modern Sherlock Holmes, who relies on a blackberry, is socially inept, and is often bored. For the most part, the series has been quite good, with Moffat and Gatiss having written the first and third episodes, respectively. In addition to the three episodes that have been broadcast, an unaired pilot will be included in the DVD release. Given reception to the series' fairly short run, a second season is expected to be ordered by BBC execs before too long.
    Last edited by kaliayev; August 09, 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Apparently, these threads usually have pictures.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherlock

I finished watching it, and for me it has been the best thing on TV this summer. When i read the synopsis for it at first, i wondered how the whole modern Sherlock Holmes thing would work and frankly i had doubts. However it did surprise me and it was much better than i anticipated.

The BBC exec confirmed there would be a 2nd season, and i think its becoming more likely since Moffat confirmed it as well. He also said its going to be 90minutes again, which i enjoy its like watching a mini-film.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

It gets better. Much better! Btw, the second season has been confirmed to be aired on august 11 over here. I cannot wait.
    Certified Mafia Game Shit Talker

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeahhh!!!
    It's an Amazing Series. When I first time watched it at my cousin's house, I immediately fall in love with this series. It's wonderful show. I love to watch it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member AnkorSVK's Avatar
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm looks like this may be another show worth watching

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

can any one refer a download site for this series?,,,
    i am interested in this new sherlock but googling yields poor responses

Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumping this thread for the 3rd season of Sherlock.

I'll keep my thoughts in spoiler tags and I suggest that being done for at least until a day after its original airing.

Spoiler:  Sherlock Ep 1 show

Preview for Episode 2, which airs on Sunday 5th Jan:

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

S03E01 -- They scared me a bit with the beginnig. The realisator toyed around with us a lot in that episode. All the scenarii from that "sherlock fan club" are hilarious. All in all, a good episode but far from being the best of the serie. It's not on par with all the "moriarty" episodes & the "irene adler" episode.

Oh, and our hobbit is absolutely perfect in his acting. The way he reacted whe he realize that Sherlock is alive was simply great.

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

As always, this show is very well done and I wasn't disappointed with the series three premiere. The camera work and mixing are very different and artistic, and the show having a larger budget and fanbase seemed to only elevate that aspect of the show.

One key difference I saw : SO MUCH FAN SERVICE.

However, it was done mostly as humor yet serving its purpose all the same. I enjoyed the storyline, character interactions, and performances. The acting is just top notch and Sherlock would not be as entertaining and witty without it. Can we discuss how intriguing Mary is? She is definitely better than any other Mary I've seen portrayed.

And as far as the new villain goes... I don't know who he is. I haven't read the novels and even though my younger sister (who I watch the show with) has, she couldn't pin point who he was either. From the looks of his dwelling, he is into "magic tricks" (ie. the clowns, rabbit with the hat etc.). Perhaps he's as interested or obsessive about how Sherlock did it as the rest of us are.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Good shout on Mary, I really did enjoy her character and as first appearances goes, it was one of my favourites. The scene in hers and Watson's room where she teases him about calling Sherlock was funny and also her interaction with the latter as he and Watson part ways after meeting each other again after 2 years.

The villain's name is based of a short story by Doyle, but how much of the characters personalities and story will be used is unknown right now. He does certainly seem as you've described him, as if slowly, trying to get Sherlock's attention to play a game with him; to test him. Motive? we don't have much to go on now besides the kidnapping and his brief showing at the end of the episode. He seems to have done quite a thorough research on Sherlock though, pinpointing his weakness in John; but then again, that's a pretty common one.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saw the second one, probably the less good episode of the entire serie for me. The whole episode is a mix between the wedding & an investigation. It felt like a parody of a normal episode.

Spoiler show
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 05, 2014 at 05:05 PM.

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care what anyone says, but when Sherlock slammed two graduated cylinders on the bar and demanded 437 milliliters of beer I died.

14. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care either. I know my opinion on the second one isn't the most popular.
    But the third one was amazing. Great villain, great watson, great sherlock, simply amazing mary & to conclude the episode: "HELL YES I MISS YOU".
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 13, 2014 at 03:42 PM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, the whole season was a disappointment. The third episode was certainly better than the first two but still worse than the first two seasons. The wait for the next season will be much easier this time.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    For me, the whole season was a disappointment. The third episode was certainly better than the first two but still worse than the first two seasons. The wait for the next season will be much easier this time.
    So, I'm not alone then .
    Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast