Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: What will happen to the WB pirates now that WB is gone?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • They will separate

11 19.64%
  • They will choose a leader and stay as they are.

45 80.36%
  • Other? Explain

0 0%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Future of the Whitebeard Pirates

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Future of the Whitebeard Pirates

So, what does everyone think will happen with the WB pirates now that WB is dead? Would they split? Would they choose a leader and continue as they are?

Before they had a established leadership and hierarchy but now that could not be furthest from the truth. As oda stated in the SBS, none of the WB commanders actually have authority over the other. In that sense, marco is not necessarily going to take control of them seeing as he has roughly the same authority as any other commander. Not to mention Jozu seems to be a reasonably good choice too and vista had it in him to compete with mihawk and even before the battle seemed to be acknowledge by him. I doubt he is actually inferior to either marco or jozu.

Somehow I have my doubts about them staying together. WB had strength above that of monsters and his very name caused fear. Now that WB is gone, how will each commander be kept in check? Its one thing when someone as powerful as WB keeps the commanders in check and an entirely different one when a commander not necessarily stronger than the others tries to keep them in check. Not to mention that without WB other pirates are more likely to get in skirmishes with them. A number of consecutive battles could truly wear out the WB pirates. I would think each commander is going to separate and start crews of their own with their own objectives. I'd be interesting to see marco actually joining shanks considering shanks did invite him to his crew. Perhaps there will be an alliance between the WB pirates and the redhair, that would calm down the NW to a great extent considering the vast increase in military power the redhair pirates would have.
    Last edited by kkck; August 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Umm al-Qaiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Future of the Whitebeard Pirates

Marco will lead most of them, if not all of them. They are still a family of brothers and sisters, and Marco seemingly has the role of the eldest brother. I'm sure Whitebeard left them instructions on what to do, as he seemed to know he was traveling to his death.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Aikidoka's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that WB named Marco the captain before he died, but I've been looking through the chapters and there's no mention of that.

Even so, agreed with undertoe that the WB Pirates are a family...they're not like usual pirate crews, they're more tight-knit than that. They'll likely stay together as a unit.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

^Dunno about that... you can be close to your family but in the end at some point you leave your home. The pillar that kept the WB pirates together so far (basically an unimaginably powerful dude keeping together a monstrously powerful crew which included at some point 16 peoplen who have nothing to feat from even the strongest dudes around along with over 1000 crewmembers who could have any level of strength) is gone. In that sense, the only way for the WB pirates to remain together is for them to select a similar pillar, a new father or perhaps big bro. Marco didn't actually have more authority than the other commanders and clearly jozu or vista are at his level.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Kaiser Will's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey good thread kkck!

Well, your points about them having no authority over the other is quite true, but I think Marco will take the lead. I mean, WB looked at his crew as its family, so everyone there is considered a brother, and I think Marco is kinda the big brother of the gang. He take care of the WB and Ace funeral with Shanks. I'm not saying that is certain that they will be together, but it's certain that they will try to maintain the integrity of the WB name and take care of the lands that is protect with his name!

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not so sure about the brother thing.... I did think of something along the lines of that but we have never actually seen the WB referring to each other as brother or something of the sort. Also, in order to maintain the integrity of the WB name they do not need to remain as a single crew but rather simply maintain close ties to each other and not kill each other. As for the lands... I guess they might have some weight on the whole thing. The main issue I see with the WB pirates staying together is that they lack an authoritative figure to lead them. They lack a father, they lack someone to beat the shit out of them when they mibehave. IMO if the WB pirates were like a family with thousands of brothers and a single father, then the logical thing would be for the brothers to take their own paths as the father passes away.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Kaiser Will's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you are certainly right about the father figure. It's only natural that when he dies the sons should move on, take their own path. Or trying to follow the path of his father, and in WB case stay as a family, you are right they could still remain together with close ties.
    And the brother thing, I really thought that when you are a WB pirate you kinda embrace the idea of being the son of WB, and that all of his crew is kinda your family, be brothers or sisters.
    I'm sure that was a chapter that Marco stated that he will take care of WB territory, which all the crew was present and agreed, but I can't find it anywhere, when I find, I will post here.

But one thing I have to agree with you it's true that lack of the authority towards the others commanders, is a decisive factor whether they will be together or not.
    So I counting that the sempai of the group, the oldest commander under WB crew will take the lead , and I believe it's Marco, but that's just a presumption of mine.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think what we're most likely looking at here is a mix of both options. Marco will lead the remnants who hope to follow on with Whitebeard's will, whilst a good portion of the family go their own way in the hopes of making it big themselves.

Though I can definitely see a family not wanting to be broken apart, much like the Roger pirates there would be a lot of members in the 1600 strong crew who would now like to go make a name for themselves in the hopes of building their own Whitebeard-level legacy.

A lot of the pirates that leave for their own reasons will probably be those that weren't that heavily acknowledged in the story (I can't see Jozu, Vista or Marco leaving for example) so it would be more like:

"Oh hey it's the whitebeard pirates! Seems to be only about fifty of you though?!"

Wellll maybe not fifty, since that's a huge cut. Maybe just a couple of hundred.

Also a flat out possibility that each division commander takes his division as a pirate crew. Of course this means that we wouldnt see commanders like Jozu and Marco together again. Honestly a few possibilities. I like the idea of some sort of break up (1600 strong crew is a bit insane tbh for a non-Yonkou crew), but I still want to see some of those personalities together again.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hdiuy's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I get a feeling that some of the WB pirates will want to avenge WB's death and will go hunt BB down. While there is this another group of WB pirates who puts 'defending WB's territory' as top priority and will only fight against BB should they come across BB.
    ..: The night is forever old :..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Aikidoka's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point, bittman. 1600 is a lot of people so there's bound to be factions who feel differently. I think you've convinced me that it'll be a mix of both.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Peronally, I feel Marco would be the only viable choice as Whitebeards replacement. As someone mentioned earlier, it's doubtful that Whitbeard intended to return to the New World from Marineford, so he must have been grooming a replacement without the replacements explicit knowledge. Marco seems to be pretty strong all on his own, as the only person in the whole WBW to take on all of the admirals with a degree of success. He's also mentioned by the Gorousei as one of the few men with potential to stop Teach, so his strength is clearly world renowned.

Despite the claims of a few forum members, the WB pirates do not need an uber-powerful leader, they need an icon. Whitebeard's reputation is what kept the pirates in check, not his strength. Any rank-and-file commander, could get a cheap-shot on Whitebeard, he left his prime back in he days of Roger. It was the Whitebeard brand that kept the pirates in check, and from what we've seen and heard, Marco's current strength is enough to put the fear or (admiration) in most of the WB Pirates. Obviously, he'll lose WB's connections and most of the lands he claimed as his own, but the WB pirates will scrape through. Just about.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DEATHBOTT's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the commanders will atleast stay togather, they werent held in place by fear. they were a family and they all respected and loved newgate. other than them i would say most of his 16000 crew will disband. they will probably just go after bb, since they don't have the man power to hold the territory. though i could be wrong since shanks seems to do fine with a relativly small crew. but then he may be that good or we just havnt seen how big his crew really is. i wonder if any of the supernova will move in on wb turf, you would think it would be smarter than what drake is doing. hawkins is in that area aparently. hopefully oda shows what they are up to soon.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on whether the WB don't have the manpower to keep their territory together. WB was old, he was even said to not have done much in a while. In that sense, the military power behind WB's territory has been mostly the commanders and other strong division members. At least for quite some time they were the ones doing most of the job. In turn, perhaps the reason there were not many disturbances in the territory was because of WB himself. People would not attack WB's territory out of fear of WB but now that WB is gone a lot of his territory is going to be in dispute due to it being attacked by many people at the same time. In that sense, perhaps the WB pirates and their allies perhaps do have the military might to deal with perhaps any NW crew but if they are attacked by multiple enemies in multiple places then they are not gonna manage very well.

Ultimately, the main thing the WB pirates lack is a strong name behind them. They need the strong name to stay together as a crew (a WB replacement) and also a strong name to keep problems away from their territory.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Ultimately, the main thing the WB pirates lack is a strong name behind them.
    Err... How about "Marco the Phoenix?" He may not quite be a Yonkou but he's more than strong enough to cruise around the New World.

The Gorosei haven't ruled him out yet: http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73264755/3
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    Err... How about "Marco the Phoenix?" He may not quite be a Yonkou but he's more than strong enough to cruise around the New World.

The Gorosei haven't ruled him out yet: http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73264755/3
    True, that'd be a nice well known name but do you think that alone would be enough to keep people from starting conflict in WB's territory? Clearly that is not the case. As it is, "Marco the Phoenix" is nothing in comparison to "Whitebeard". The truth is, Marco's name alone won't do crap here at least for a while. Marco needs more infamy for his name to be enough as was WB's.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast