Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: would msn be a better known manga if its beginning was like how it is now?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: would msn be a better known manga if its beginning was like how it is now?

you have a point in that by some popular manga start simple..naruto started less paced than how it is now, but u could see some signs it would grow and stuff....MSN was created by ken-probly because of love hina it was expected to be the harem kind of manga with a twist-negis magic and that was all about it. and that was how it was at the beginning...so to a lot of ppl it was probly not going to change later in the future. if they showed a hint of something like about asunas past or what happened to negi like around chapter 10 or something. Most of the mangas that have steady animes...games and stuff, r more shounen than love hina... the OVAs that have been recently released r uber cool(some have a lot of fanservice but cool anyway)..imagine how cool the festival arc would have been in anime.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member bebuxe's Avatar
    mmmm.... i can't tell??? it seems that i see trees after trees with wavying grass and a few birds...
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Then consider making your own work, or adaptation of this manga. It looks you have some pretty good ideas from where you would like a story to develop. I mean this most sincerely and honestly (reading this right of the bat from someone who gets flamed by a lot reads this and thinks I am making a mockery of your thoughts and ideals as if the world would accept, but you never know until you try). I would like to see something like that actually see spur, if it does.... Mmmmh....

(I guess it is evil of me knowing much of literacy techniques of these times, I seem bored.... I wonder how it was like to live at the time Frankenstein was published en masse....)

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digit03 View Post
    imagine how cool the festival arc would have been in anime.
    I get upset just thinking about it. They could of worked wonders with the festival arc, since it was just so good.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

As I am not native speaker I have rewritten this about 8times so this time I'll try to stick to the points I wanted to make =)

When you write a story it has to have some Idea and some form.
    And if you try to look at MSN bit more closely you'll see that all parts have a reason to be there.

Those first 15 chapters (or so) are mainly for introducing setting and characters to readers. And for building up relationships among the characters. So I doubt it would be better if it started with full-blown action.

I don't know, but I suspect that Ken wanted to draw battle manga for some time (or possibly from the beginning) - after all ... his works before MSN were always romances. I think that this might be another reason for the slow start... I don't know what kind of person he is, but if I were in his place I too would start carefully and slowly work the action in to make sure not to ruin it.

BTW:
    festival arc would be imo too pricey to be made well...
    I mean - when you think about the final showdown against Chao... there were thousands of robots, and we all know that if it was not detailed enough, it would be huge disappointment, and at the same time if it was detailed and well drawn - it would cost fortune... I mean even in popular TV anime you might notice that background is often static even if there are characters - they just stand there with unchanging expressions... i personally don't like this so if the same was in that final battle scene it would look cheap

there are parts when you can see hundreds of robots... which should be moving... for example when they're comming out of the lake .... imagine how detailed (therefore pricey) it would have to be if you wanted to see water flowing down on every bot in that 3thousand army.. or when they march at those defence posts... it's not something you can fund just like that...
    Last edited by deSolAxe; August 18, 2010 at 06:06 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member tenebrae's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So I read it like you guys reccomended and I find that as soon as the kyoto trip begins it gets awesome!

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenebrae View Post
    So I read it like you guys reccomended and I find that as soon as the kyoto trip begins it gets awesome!
    You are in for sooooo much more awesomeness. As soon as you get to the Festival Arc, you'll understand.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member bebuxe's Avatar
    mmmm.... i can't tell??? it seems that i see trees after trees with wavying grass and a few birds...
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blush Re: would msn be a better known manga if its beginning was like how it is now?

Quote Originally Posted by deSolAxe View Post
    BTW:
    festival arc would be imo too pricey to be made well...
    I mean - when you think about the final showdown against Chao... there were thousands of robots, and we all know that if it was not detailed enough, it would be huge disappointment, and at the same time if it was detailed and well drawn - it would cost fortune... I mean even in popular TV anime you might notice that background is often static even if there are characters - they just stand there with unchanging expressions... i personally don't like this so if the same was in that final battle scene it would look cheap

there are parts when you can see hundreds of robots... which should be moving... for example when they're comming out of the lake .... imagine how detailed (therefore pricey) it would have to be if you wanted to see water flowing down on every bot in that 3thousand army.. or when they march at those defence posts... it's not something you can fund just like that...
    I doubt that, esp. for a fan work. I mean look at what the fans for fullmetal alchemist did, they actually made an anime based of the manga, that to today is still airing, comparing to the mess they did with the first anime (even today, I am appalled at what correlation they made in the first anime's conclusion, I mean, they gate to the real world?!? what?!?!).

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Epic_Rider's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason that Negima started out the way it was wasn't because of Akamatsu, but rather the editors and administrators at the magazine. Akamatsu wanted to do an action series, but because of the popularity of Love Hina, they told him to do another comedy harem. That's why it started that way, so that he could change it to what he wanted later.

The virtue of a journey rarely lies in its destination. What man is so closed to thought that he will not be brought to wonder whether it is he who moves, or the world.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The chief complaint against the manga seems to be the first 3 volumes which are completely and utterly atrocious. Had MSN had a stronger beginning, it probably would have been better known. That, and had they not butchered the MSN anime one too many times.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2