Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: would msn be a better known manga if its beginning was like how it is now?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

would msn be a better known manga if its beginning was like how it is now?

The title is self explanatory....ive been thinking about this for a while now..i introduced it to two of my friends but they were a little discouraged, they thought it was a bit shallow and all since it was just fan service after fan service..now that is all hardcore and stuff i keep telling them its gonna be better and stuff...i even saw a description on a manga website saying follow 10 year old teacher negi and his ecchi adventures at mahora..something like that

Negima is one of the few manga i know thats gotten better with time and its awesome now..i just thought maybe if it had a better beginning it would be a whole lot popular..it would probably have a steady anime(that wont ruin it)..probly cool video games(naruto games are awesome)..and more stuff...any way thats just my opinion wat do u guys think?

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: would msn be a better known manga if its beginning was like how it is now?

Well, all manga kind of need to start out like that. If it started like how it is now, then right now we'd be in the opposite situation, complaining that it's not as good as it used to be.

Right now, it's awesome and all, but I don't think anything will surpass the School Festival Arc. It's just my opinion of course, but that arc was just too good. Literally, I think Akamatsu dug himself into a hole there, because it won't be surpassed. Sorry for my fanboy rant xD

Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post
    Well, all manga kind of need to start out like that. If it started like how it is now, then right now we'd be in the opposite situation, complaining that it's not as good as it used to be.

Right now, it's awesome and all, but I don't think anything will surpass the School Festival Arc. It's just my opinion of course, but that arc was just too good. Literally, I think Akamatsu dug himself into a hole there, because it won't be surpassed. Sorry for my fanboy rant xD
    i agree..but ppl can get impatient with the beginning and stop reading it. they culd be advised to skip chapters and not everyone can do that...im glad i read the begiining chapters because i had little to do at that time..and they helped build character history too

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like Festival arc anymore, now that I re-read it... I didn't like the end of it (not talking about Negi fight).
    First Episode Preview and OADs Preview: http://www.youtube.com/MaedhrosLossehelin

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ceipheed's Avatar
    Country
    Panama
    Post Thanks / Like

you do have a point. Mahou Sensei Negima started much like a Love Hina setting:

1 boy + LOTS of girls = inevitable Harem

I really loved Love Hina, it was my first manga and it was awesome. that being said, I like Negima much more (these last months have been awesometastic).

when I find myself trying to recommend Negima to some1, I get the same feeling; that they must read thru the cheap harem to get to the good stuff (Kyoto trip onwards). now, I dont think that Negima couldve started any other way. thats just Negima.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member tenebrae's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Around when does all that change? I was one of those people who got discouraged to be honest and i might decide to read it

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member LoneWolfx03's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

wait! you ALL do know how Ken published Negima right? It's a funny story but he made the right choice...and he's a cunning one too...haha

Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenebrae View Post
    Around when does all that change? I was one of those people who got discouraged to be honest and i might decide to read it
    id say around chapter 16 if u want a good idea about some essential things(contracts) and characters (evangeline) ....well thats what i think

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner khagerou's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

well yeah i've read and re-read negima at leat 14 times , (and certain parts over 30 time) but i find taht most of the beginning of the story was kinda well iffy ...
    it was like KA was soo uncertain about negima , that it showed in his work, and thats what truly made the first few chapters not as enjoyable as it is now, ps. if a manga like negima started out well, it would probably beat the top3 easily , but then it would be sortta been there done that with the plot, negima is by itself very interesting because the plot is random and the art has changed considerably from earlier to recent chapters
    insanity is my long time friend
    and fear is an ally in battles i fought a long time ago
    yet destruction preceeds and follows me eternally
    so meh...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bowser's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

At the beginning it was - becoming a teacher in order to become a Magister Magi. And now, it's - save the (magical) world from being erased from baddies his father and co pwned 20 years ago. It was always going to become a battle manga :S, but at least he kept the ecchiness...

Country
    Panama
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khagerou View Post
    well yeah i've read and re-read negima at leat 14 times , (and certain parts over 30 time) but i find taht most of the beginning of the story was kinda well iffy ...
    it was like KA was soo uncertain about negima , that it showed in his work, and thats what truly made the first few chapters not as enjoyable as it is now, ps. if a manga like negima started out well, it would probably beat the top3 easily , but then it would be sortta been there done that with the plot, negima is by itself very interesting because the plot is random and the art has changed considerably from earlier to recent chapters

yeah, Akamatsu was all like whatdoIdonow@_@ at the beggining of negima. my guess is that he had wanted to do a battle manga for a while now (remember how Keitarou learned some Kenpo?)but his publisher or w/e wanted him to make another foolproof, ecchi-instilled harem, so he sorta disguised it and slowly turned it into what it is now.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member veron05's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Plain and simple. No the story is great how it is. The thing about writing is it's ever evolving. If the story started out any different. We wouldn't love each character as much as we do. Each character would not have a chance to have grown. and I think Ken is a brilliant mangaka. So It's awesome as it is

Country
    Panama
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what you say, but that's off the point

the question is whether or not MSN would be more popular amongst manga readers if it had a different beginning; not if the manga would be better if it had a different beginning.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I think Negima is as good as it is because of its durr hurr absurd harem beginning. The shift in genres was awesome, a manga that gets consistently better > a manga that stays relatively the same.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member bebuxe's Avatar
    mmmm.... i can't tell??? it seems that i see trees after trees with wavying grass and a few birds...
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Doubt it.... I mean is not popular among most manga leaching sites?

What I mean to say is that it was perfect how it started. If it would have started at any another beginning the story would have no serenity behind its theme as a simple moral mangaka. I mean look at all the most viewed and popular manga, astro boy, sailor moon, dragon ball, naruto, etc., they all start with a simple moral dilemma having the most sincere and gentle beginnings. Then they unravel world wide (or macro) catastrophes only heroes could accomplish, all to say this "theme/moral" is applicable in all situations at most times. I mean really, what kind of author would go and forget his theme even when applied and exploited through plot and does not maintain it only asks for the essence of the story to go to waste. Plus it loses the readers focus and makes many readers give up on the story thinking this was just a chicken soup with no moral backing they could use.

I know must of us here read for pleasure, but when you look at the genre of literature anyone reads, you would realize most of readers read books that either have a longing to a desire based on the ideals or themes the readers wish to provoke, or it assimilates most thematically to some degree to our daily lives looking for a solution to our dilemma. Or that's what this paper article says from nytimes reading exist within human nature (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/we...ew/25rich.html). But personally I read to for escape, so this blabler above doesn't really apply to the real life reason people even read (if there is one base line reason).

Have I elaborated myself in this matter?
    (uuu, I started something big to discuss upon, thanks digit03)
    Last edited by bebuxe; August 15, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast