Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Identical/similar characters...

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Identical/similar characters...

Yamada from Honey and Clover and Orihime from Bleach. From the moment I read in an interview that Kubo used to read Honey and Clover and liked it very much, I’ve always wondered if Orihime is a tribute to Yamada.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Serpico from Berserk
    Ichimaru Gin from Bleach
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; October 10, 2010 at 08:24 AM.

3. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Such different personalities though! As of volume 25 (which is how far I've read, no spoilers ), Serpico is actually a nice guy, if a bit conflicted. Gin was so much more sinister until the end. Snake references with both characters too.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Such different personalities though! As of volume 25 (which is how far I've read, no spoilers ), Serpico is actually a nice guy, if a bit conflicted. Gin was so much more sinister until the end. Snake references with both characters too.
    Yes they certainly are totally different in character, but their faces are kinda similar
    I think both are supposed to be symbolically related to foxes. Gatts actually says that Serpico is fox-like when he fights against him and notices his cleverness. At least in europe (and I think in japan as well) foxes a symbol for intelligence and slyness in actions without much talking, and I think it suits both characters. In a way they're quite similar, only that one is good and one is bad.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; October 11, 2010 at 07:40 AM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzee View Post
    Character appearances, traits and behaviour are the main factors which can lead to one making a comparison to another character from a completely different anime/manga series. This thread is to discuss, compare and share your finds!
    C-C-C-C-C-Combo breaker!

Goku from Dragon Ball, Luffy from One Piece, Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho, and Oga from Beelzebub remind me of each other. All four love to fight that they don't care who they fight with or how they fight. Apart from being main characters, they all have people they're close with and will go any lengths (I think, for Oga <_<) to save their friends.

Oga's unique because he's an antihero, although he has shown he cares for Beel and Hilda. Yusuke was misunderstood, I guess, and didn't have anything to keep him happy. Plus, another major trait they share is humor. All four are pretty stupid, which adds hilariousness, but they can be pretty smart in fights, if not lucky. For example, when Goku first met Bulma, he gave her a patpat because he wondered if she had a penis, and even took off her panties. Luffy, in order to prove his toughness to his pirate friends when he was a kid, stabbed his cheek and cut it to show his toughness; when he was caught in a whirlpool, he didn't really care and was even cheerful about it. This was at the beginning, and he's still alive as of recent chapter, so that shows he survived. Yusuke's a pervert, like when in the Shinobu arc he tried to trick Botan into revealing her measurements. Oga was willing to hurt his allies to get to his enemy, like when he whacked that Ka-something out of his way since Ka-blah wanted revenge on Miki for hitting him. People thought Oga was trying to protect Ka-blah in his own way, but Oga said it's cuz he was in the way. When Toujou arrived around that chapter, he was raring to fight and asked who was gonna fight. He pointed at few people, finally at Oga, to which Oga prepared to fight. People went "NOT YOUR OWN ALLY! " I think.

Goku and Oga get stronger in fights because they want to prove themselves. They enjoy fighting for fighting, which makes them persevere. They can find a way to beat an opponent and refuse to give up. Their desire to fight is what makes them refuse to back down and want to fight, no matter how strong the opponent is. Although Goku thought Cell had no weakness and was probably too powerful for him, he still wanted to fight it.

Luffy and Yusuke get stronger in fights for the sake of their loved ones. Even when Yusuke was close to dying against an enemy, he withstood the lightning shocks and brought out the power to kill the enemy because Keiko and Botan were in danger. He went from being unable to move from pain and fatigue to getting enough power to take out about seven of his enemies who were pretty powerful just by seeing how close Keiko and Botan were to being killed. Same with his match against Toguro: when Yusuke thought Toguro killed Kuwabara, Yusuke's power increased dramatically to the point where he could take Toguro at 100%'s strength with little to no problem (I think) when he had major trouble with the same Toguro. Luffy's the same. No matter what or how, he will try to find a way to beat his enemies to protect his comrades. To try and save Ace, Luffy kept on going even though he was poisoned and tired for his brother's sake. Even for people like Robin and Nami, he was willing to fight extremely tough opponents to save them and to make them happy. Naruto (do I really need to say the manga?) is same. He was scared shitless of Gaara at first, but when he heard Sasuke's refusal to let his comrades die before his eyes, and seeing Sakura's life in danger, Naruto got the courage and beat Gaara and saved Sakura. He nearly died and was in danger, but he never faltered.

Kurama and Kakashi are quite similar. Both are fucking awesome. Both are humorous, intelligent, and scary when they're mad/serious. Although Kurama was once a demon fox, he's awesome as Shuichi IMO. When you see Kurama/Kakashi and they're on the opposite side, you know you're fucked.

That's all I can be assed to type right now.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Jotaro of Vagabond and Isidro of Berserk are quite similar. Both are young, homeless boys who just stick to the best swordman they can find. They also behave in very similar ways imo, even though Jotaro isn't that much of an idiot like Isidro is.

Also, the master of Yoshioka School (he's the one with the katanas chasing the women ^^) in Vagabond is very similar to Shunsui Kyōraku of Bleach imo.
    Both are very calm, relaxed, playful and casual, a little hedonistic (actually quite a lot, but they can't be reduced to just that), both are ridiculously strong fighters and yet the two of them always try to calmly prevent fights.
    In short, they seem to have be a mixture of extreme maturity and childishness.
    I think their choice of clothes is extremely equal as well - both wearing a kimono (if I'm not mistaken there, I'm anything but an expert for such terms) with flowers on them.
    And both of them seem to rather search out the company of women than men/soldiers, usually playing, joking and drinking with them
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; January 04, 2011 at 02:42 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yoshioka Seijuro and Shunsui is a good comparison. I'd go a step further and say that Vagabond had a profound impact on how Kubo drew Bleach, especially the fight scenes. Some of the two panel pages and ultra close ups Kubo uses during fights are tricks Inoue first used in Vagabond.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Mori Buntaro of Kokou no Hito and Akira Inugami of Wolfen Crest.
    Not only do both looking quite similar, they also both have the extreme desire to be isolated from people and aren't good in communicating with others.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know they are from the same manga and there are quite a bit of theories regarding why they look so alike, but I'm a little surprised that they haven’t been mentioned in this thread yet…

From Bleach:
    Ichigo and Kaien

Quote Originally Posted by <.Haruka.> View Post
    Tamaki Suoh from Ouran High School Host Club
    Fay D. Flourite from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
    Kyouya from Ouran HSHC and Seishirou from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post

Kyouya from Ouran HSHC and Seishirou from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.
    Both of their faces look quite like Kano of Freesia:
    Pic1 & Pic2
    Though they probably have a different character. Well, no surprise there, Kano is really unique, but I guess they're not running around with guns, too

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They don't speak to imaginary women either

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Basil (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)

Aru (Enigma)

The similarity can't be helped since it's the teacher and the disciple.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner S01's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Taishi from Comic Party and Kamina from Gurren Lagann. They're from different anime genres, but the two characters give off the same vibe.
    My free mmo portal.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Shura from Ao no Exorcist (the girl with the red hair, btw) and Yoko from Gurren Lagann.

Yoko was the first person I thought of when I first read AnE and saw Shura. They're really, really similar, right down to the red hair, scarf, bikini top, short shorts, high socks and boots

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Syaoran Li from Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle and Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass.

I hadn’t thought about that one until I saw it mentioned on another manga/anime site, and yes, I agree they do look very similar.

New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast