Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Travel in Japan

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Travel to Japan

Summer may be a bit more expensive because of the holydays but it is the period of the festivals. Has anybody who traveled there see some ? Which ones would you recommand ?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Summer can be expensive for people traveling in general because those are the holiday season for non-Japanese. It's more expensive to travel within Japan during winter since it's the busiest time of year. If you go around New Years Eve/New Years, there will be a lot more festivals and celebrations. 大晦日(oomisoka) and お正月 (oshougatsu) are considered the Christmas of Japan.

I went to Japan in December 2008 to visit my relatives, and it was well worth it. If you really want a taste of Japanese culture I encourage everyone to go around late-December to early-January. Tip: It can be cold so dress warmly! Air-conditioners can act as a heater, but most houses aren't built to store heat so the other rooms will be cold.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner crimsonprincess's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're in for anime/manga things, try Akiharaba in Tokyo. It is a huge, I mean huge, shopping complex. You'd see quite a lot of stores on anime and manga stuff. It's also full of electronic goods. High end stores are mostly in Shibuya, also in Tokyo. Well it is the fashion center, so to speak. The Shibuya crossing, near the Hachiko exit (do you know that? the dog? ), is the busiest crossing of all Japan. Try getting lost in the crowd there. It is fun! Shibuya 109, a popular shopping store for ladies, is also near the Shibuya crossing.

Visit Kyoto if you'd like a piece of Japanese History - it is the old capital of Japan. Most of their temples and shrines are in this city. They are beautiful, mesmerizing even. I highly suggest visiting this place. I had a fresh visit to Kyoto last fall. The autumn colors definitely made the shrines and temples a notch more beautiful, but if you'd like the best shot, I suggest visiting Kyoto in Spring, when sakura blooms.

Osaka is close to Kyoto so you might want to go there as well. Osaka is generally considered the food capital of Japan, so yes, eat! There's also the Osaka Castle, drop by when you have time.

Nara is also close to Kyoto, less than an hour by local train, it is where you can find roaming deers, as in shika! Does that ring any bells? Yes, Shikamaru Nara of Naruto. Haha! Visit Toudai-ji, where the Great Buddha as in the biggest Buddha is housed. It's easy to move around in Nara, the temples are walking distance around each other. Give it a shot.

Tokyo is two hours away from Kyoto, through the Shinkansen (bullet train), so it should be no problem. The shinkansen is the easiest, most comfortable land transportation mode. It is also the most expensive. You can also take the local trains, longer time travel but cheaper. The main hassle of this is the changing of train lines to get to the destination. There is also the option of bus, cheaper as well, longer travel time compared to shinkansen but slightly shorter travel time compared to local train in some cases.

Have fun in Japan!
    Last edited by crimsonprincess; January 14, 2011 at 09:19 AM.

My Anime Blog: Silent Wish
    My Fanfiction: chemiskorpion0002

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes Re: anime stores in okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by aeolia
    do you know any stores in okinawa which sells anime collectibles that are maybe naruto and school rumble related?
    Is that the one caleed "Ghost Village"? I ma lloking for a store in Okiawa as well. Toy "R" Us have some action figures but not a good selection at all.
    Last edited by Asarii; May 04, 2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added the quote

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Travel in Japan

Since Roy3000gt revived an old thread, I've done a bit of tweaking by merging two inactive threads with this one. If you have any quick questions about traveling to Japan that wouldn't require a thread of its own, please post it here. Thank you!

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3