Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Please Mr. Bear!

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Please Mr. Bear!

Title: Please Mr. Bear! (Please-!, Gom-ssi!; I'm Counting on You-! Mr. Bear!)
    Genres:Seinen, Slice of Life, Romance, Pyschological, Drama
    Author: MK
    Artist: MK
    Publication: Naver (Note: This is a web comic.)
    Start Date: 2009
    End Date: N/A
    Number of chapters at review: 8 (Completed)
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 8

General Overview:

If there's love in a relationship, what comes after a break-up?

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8

Decent artwork. The line art isn't great and gives off an unpolished feel. The coloring sure helps boost the artwork. It makes me wonder if the line art was just there to act as a boundary for the colors. The coloring of this manhwa balances out the unpolished feel of the line art.

The representation of the story places so much emphasis upon the characters. The readers aren't distracted by any fancy artwork. The characters move the story forward, so MK did a great job of just focusing on the characters instead.

Little effort were wasted on the background art in terms of line art. It was a good balance. An artist doesn't have to be skilled in drawing out every detail in a scene but how well an artist could present a story.

Plot: 10

I'm sure that many people could relate to this story since it is about break up and recovery.

Even if there were only eight chapters, the story unfolded well. The pacing was quite slow in my perspective. I thought that matched well with the main protagonist. Just having a break up, life must've appeared less lively.

The art plays well into this. The main character is only focused on his thoughts, his ex-girlfriend, and himself. Anything outside of that has been blurred.

At such time, life, seemingly, doesn't offer much. It's usually at times like this that fateful encounters might happen like meeting a bear. (Laughs.) Okay, maybe not a bear!

Characters: 8

The representation of what was going on inside the mind of the protagonist was real enough. After a break-up of what seemed to be a legitimately "good" relationship, one has to wonder what went wrong? The scenes of the break-up is replayed over and over again. Assumptions might be made. Of course, some people might have thought they were used.

Falling out of love, life become dull. The sight of other couples might be an annoyance because it might be cause memories to resurface.

Walking in a daze into a park to relax turned out for the most part positive. Even seemingly unimportant encounters could prove positive.

Theme: 10

Interactions are very important. At times, a person just has to communicate the truth of what he/she is going through. People aren't mind readers so they can't tell what others want or expect. Clear communication is often cited as the key element to established before all else. Miscommunication causes a lot of grief and misunderstanding.

As for the story, it's quite odd that interactions with the most unseeming prove the most positive. Even those that we might daily interact with may not help us cope with our problems. All of a sudden, a stranger might be able to give a gold nugget that would explain the mystery of the situation that a person might be in. With that gold nugget, our problem is dispelled.

But it also goes back to trying to find someone comfortable enough to confide in.

Originality: 10

Interesting piece of work. It starts off depressing but the climax and end was wonderful. It convey a very meaningful message about love in a later chapter. It's not just about break-up but what comes after it? Could love still come after love? I think this manhwa did a fantastic job answering that question.

Overall: 9

It was a brief read but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The end wasn't surprising as I suspected something as a possible ending. What really got me was the most was when Mr. Bear gave his perspective on love.

If you're looking for a light-hearted piece to read, consider Please Mr. Bear!

Spoiler: Scenes from the Manwha show
    Last edited by segua; November 23, 2010 at 08:39 PM.

(Please read from right to left.)

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Mr. Bear!

I like that the manhwa is character focal. Though, I seek your overall rating of the artwork. Does a score for your overall opinion on the manhwa apply? The reader may try to approximate a grade for the Overall category of your review; however, the Theme section of your post misses a numeric score as well.
    Last edited by ornis; August 26, 2010 at 12:36 AM.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ornis View Post
    I like that the manhwa is character focal. Though, I seek your overall rating of the artwork. Does a score for your overall opinion on the manhwa apply? The reader may try to approximate a grade for the Overall category of your review; however, the Theme section of your post misses a numeric score as well.
    Thanks Ornis. I've overlooked those scoring. The overall score, as I treated it, a feel of how I felt for the entirety of the manwha either during or after I read it. It gives my rating of the impression of what the manwha made upon me.

(Please read from right to left.)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kristy's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Just started this series and liked all chapters, which i have enjoyed still.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply