Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Best anime not based on a manga

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AL_Briton's Avatar
    Country
    Honduras
    Post Thanks / Like

Best anime not based on a manga

Most of the anime derives from a manga, but there are several anime series that don't. Which is your favorite?
    In my case i would go with Bakemonogatari, actually is one of my favorite animes. I looked for a thread of this series in the forum but couldn't find one. Either way, highly recommended.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic138827_1.gif

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best anime not based on a manga

I loved Twelve Kingdoms, which is a fantasy series written by Ono Fuyumi (the same author who wrote the novels Shiki is based on.)

Medieval fantasy with squires and knights (think: LotR) is quite popular so it's refreshing to have a setting set in a place that could very well be ancient China. Other than the setting and scenery, it's very different. Of course, since it's fantasy.

The politics and conflicts within the nations are also quite interesting.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Erza Scarlet's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Code geass!!! and Neon Genesis evangelion!! these are master pieces!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
    Code geass!!! and Neon Genesis evangelion!! these are master pieces!
    Are there any reasons that made them so great?

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it's a deadlock between 2 series, Samurai Champloo and Eureka Seven.

Samurai Champloo was just such a good samurai adventure tale. Three travelers taking one long journey together, simple but great.

Eureka Seven (There is a manga but it is an adaptation of the anime, not the other way around.) It's just a really great character driven story. Happy, sad, and wonderful. Each in turn. It'll always be a favorite of mine.

Code Guess is great too. Clever plot with lots of suspense and intrigue, though at times it seemed a bit.....melodramatic. Unfortunately it tended to go for style over substance sometimes.

Twelve Kingdoms was also good but it was incomplete(not just the anime either, unless i'm mistaken, i believe the books are an unfinished work). So it's hard for me to look past that.
    Last edited by Jammin; December 30, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AL_Briton's Avatar
    Country
    Honduras
    Post Thanks / Like

Evangelion is a great series but the manga came first if I'm not wrong. haven't read its manga but I've heard that its quite different than anime. It that case i would also mention the first anime series of Full Metal Alchemist, different that the manga but in my opinion better than FMA: Brotherhood. I just love the ending of the first one when Edward ends up in WWII Europe.
    I'm feeling kind of bad because i started watching Samurai Champloo, Eureka Seven and code Geass but never finish them. Out of all of them a really liked Samurai Champloo design and story.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic138827_1.gif

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO its probably Mononoke which is a really unique anime and its very good. Its hard to explain the plot since...well its something that needs to be seen. The director Kenji Nakamura also worked on Trapeze which was probably even more trippier than Mononoke. He's working on another anime called [C] that's coming airing in the spring, can't wait

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Both the Gundam and Macross series get my vote for great anime that are not based on anything. I mean some of those mentioned are based on novels, which IMO is not that different from being based off manga. Anyway both mecha series are excellent all in all. They are umbrellas for many series and inevitably some if the series under each umbrella are better than some of the others, but I generally like the mechs and the similar themes (politics in Gundam etc). The worlds created are usually quite spectacular.

Also, another awesome one not based on anything: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, an epic anime with a unique world, interesting plot, great characters... You really have to watch and see for yourself! It is practically my favorite anime of all time

Mentioned already, but Code Geass is also great! Right now, I'm also finding Star Driver to be very enjoyable, but we'll see where it goes from here.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Darker than Black is a great series, highly recommend you to check it out.
    I don't consider it the "best" but other people have already listed the best lol.
    Oh and it's done by Bones. They make high quality anime.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Erza Scarlet's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Are there any reasons that made them so great?
    Code geass is a cliffhanger, it gets interesting from the first chapter and this anime is really complex, there are so many elements that made me fall in love with this serie:

-The war and social conflict -Code geass showed current problems like racism, xenophobia, fights for hydrocarbons (aka sakuradite) and the mecha action was cool!

-Double standard-this serie make us reflect so much about what is good or bad.

-lovey-dovey moments! yeah! I am a romantic girl so I loved the confessions, kisses and hugs, principally when coflelocuhcofandcofC.Ccofwerecoftogethercof xD

-Sentimentality, this series always surprised me, there are moments so funny but there are really tragic moments too that made cry so much, btw the finale was epic, full of emotion and so unexpected.

And Neon Genesis Evangelion is amazing too, was the first psichological anime (and the manga was realised later) the plot is so deep and mature, the characters have their stories and all the apocalyptic theme left you a bitter flavor, when I finished Evangelion I sigh and I said "this is so depressive but nice"

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to go with Samurai Champloo. It is a great show with a nice mixture of action and comedy. Cool characters and a subtle blend of modern culture make this a must watch. I will never forget the baseball episode.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shrimp's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Last Exile.
    Steampunk ship battles, with a great OST, and an interesting story (had to watch it two times to really get everything). One of the greatest animes I've watched.

Also, I agree on Samourai Champloo, not that much on Code Geass (it was enjoyable, I won't deny that, but jerkass main chars aren't my cup of tea, and all in all I thought it was pretty overrated), and I totally hate Evangelion. :P (no reason... I just thought it was boring)

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post