Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Espada personalities

  1. #1
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Espada personalities

    We all know the Espada's represent different aspects of death. We also know there were supposed to be seven that represented the seven deadly sins, but Kubo changed the number and representation. However, the characters themselves still seem to be designed (actions and personalities) in relation to the (seven) deadly sins, in my opinion at least.

    The seven deadly sins have been re-worked in the past, however they can be split up into ten: Lust, Extravagance (form of Lust), Gluttony, Acedia (form of Sloth), Despair (second form of Sloth), Wrath, Pride, Vainglory (form of pride), Greed, and Envy.

    In order of Espada ranking:
    Yammy Riyalgo - Gluttony
    Coyote Starrk - Acedia
    Baraggan Luisenbarn - Vainglory
    Tia Harribel - Lust
    Ulquiorra Cifer - Despair
    Nnoitra Jiruga - Envy
    Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez - Wrath
    Zommari Leroux - Pride
    Szayel Aporro Granz - Extravagance
    Aaroniero Arruruerie - Greed

    Anyone else think along the same lines based on their personalities?

  2. #2
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fun Forum
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    5,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    What is Hallibel lusting for? That one seems totally random to me. She was shown as a caring personality, who doesn't want to spill innocent blood. She's neither lusting for power nor for anything else but protecting her closest companions.

    Zommari with Pride seems also not right to me. Even Lust would cover him more than Pride (Amore ability).

    For the rest, well yeah Yammy's ability is to suck souls and build up reiatsu, might fit. As well as for Aaroniero, if not even more. Wrath would fits too, even Greed to some points.
    Starrk with Acedia, yeah in prerelease he's pretty slothy, also while fighting he often asked himself why does he have to face those oponents. Despair could have work too,cuz he was desperate to find some comrades.
    Barragan and Vainglory works well. Coulda been used for like everyone who underestimated his opponent and ended up dying through that, too (Aa,..huh, the only one, rly??)
    Ulquiorra and Despair, that's also what Kubo was thinking, IIRC. Lust would fit at the end, when he.. omg.. 'the heart', you know.

    Aahh. whatever, gonna stop here. Kinda find it's a random thought anyway, since Kubo commented that all himself anyway.

  3. #3
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil3ye View Post
    What is Hallibel lusting for? That one seems totally random to me. She was shown as a caring personality, who doesn't want to spill innocent blood. She's neither lusting for power nor for anything else but protecting her closest companions.

    Zommari with Pride seems also not right to me. Even Lust would cover him more than Pride (Amore ability).

    For the rest, well yeah Yammy's ability is to suck souls and build up reiatsu, might fit. As well as for Aaroniero, if not even more. Wrath would fits too, even Greed to some points.
    Starrk with Acedia, yeah in prerelease he's pretty slothy, also while fighting he often asked himself why does he have to face those oponents. Despair could have work too,cuz he was desperate to find some comrades.
    Barragan and Vainglory works well. Coulda been used for like everyone who underestimated his opponent and ended up dying through that, too (Aa,..huh, the only one, rly??)
    Ulquiorra and Despair, that's also what Kubo was thinking, IIRC. Lust would fit at the end, when he.. omg.. 'the heart', you know.

    Aahh. whatever, gonna stop here. Kinda find it's a random thought anyway, since Kubo commented that all himself anyway.
    Harribel was one I couldn't really decide as to what could fit as her persona outside of compassion towards her comrades. In the end, I thought that lust might suit her best because of how she dresses and possibly a lust for companionship, which was sated but then destroyed by Yamamoto. Lust is another emotion that can fit anywhere really.

    I guess I'll explain my reasoning for the others as well.

    Yammy, you hit the nail on the head as to why I thought of him as gluttony. The first we see of him, he instantly assesses the quality of the area for consumption purposes and then proceeds to eat.

    Starrk, from the get-go he's apathetic to everything around him. He doesn't care what happens to others or what they choose to do, as seen in his fight and his reaction to the death of his comrades.

    Baraggan, basically he is extremely arrogant to the point that it's his destruction. His death was because he believed that he was beyond death, more precisely death by aging, and he is killed by his own ability. Hence, he has false pride.

    Ulquiorra, he always looked as if he was crying or lamenting. And he always had a bleak tone, always referred to hopelessness in others and on the verge of death he showed that he was uncaring of his own death. I wouldn't classify him as a Starrk because he was always in movement and serving Aizen without a word of resentment or lack of interest.

    Nnoitra, strived to grow because he didn't want to be classified as weak. He envied those stronger than him more than anyone else in the espada, which drove him to plot against Nelliel, didn't want to look weaker than a woman, and anyone else he could.

    Grimmjow, always pissed off and always looking for a fight, lol.

    Zommari, he was very proud in his own ability, speed and technique, and in his "god" Aizen. He was the only one that held Aizen as a "god", all the others used Aizen for power, friendship, or in fear/submission.

    Granz, I guess he could of been a good candidate for vainglory, I thought that the way he dressed and how he acted could be interpreted as extravagant. Another hard one to really place in one category.

    Aaroniero, another one that could be categorized as gluttony or greed, both can be interwoven, although I felt his greed for power is what drove him ultimately to gluttony.

  4. #4
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fun Forum
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    5,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    So because Hallibel is female and looks -lustful- it fits her the most? That one is still bugging me a lot.

    Also you interpreted Starrks action completely wrong it seems. He was the only Espada how commented the loss of Aaroniero without looking down on him and found it depressing how no body said something after Barragan's demise. Further more either Love or Rose figured that he's the type who fall into despair (or the likes) after the death of a companion.
    Even though he was slothy, as you already said, carelessness is anyone but him.

    Further more, I want to mention that Grimmjow's 'wrath' might also be interpreted as just rivalry (toward Ichigo). If you think of it closer you'll figure out that all of his rebelliously actions had something to do with Ichigo (heading off to KKT with his fraccions without premission, ignoring Aizen's instructions, getting rid of Loly and Menoly to free Orihime, the melee with Ulquiorra.. all things can be connected to Ichigo, which he said was only 'his prey'). It's not uncontrolled wrath and random aggression, like it'd be in Yammy's case (killing dozen humans by sucking their souls, killing a companion who doctored him, Rudobone, Loly, Menoly, etcetc).

  5. #5
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil3ye View Post
    So because Hallibel is female and looks -lustful- it fits her the most? That one is still bugging me a lot.
    I stated before, she was the one I had the most trouble identifying with an aspect of the deadly sins. It might of been better to exclude her because she really doesn't fit, unless you try to fit her in, which makes it awkward and not necessarily true, which you have pointed out.
    Quote Quote:
    Also you interpreted Starrks action completely wrong it seems. He was the only Espada how commented the loss of Aaroniero without looking down on him and found it depressing how no body said something after Barragan's demise. Further more either Love or Rose figured that he's the type who fall into despair (or the likes) after the death of a companion.
    Even though he was slothy, as you already said, carelessness is anyone but him.
    Ya I agree with that, Starrk was looking for companions, which is why he joined up with Aizen, and why he commented on the death of Aaroniero. I do believe his personality is best described as apathetic, mainly because of how he acted before/during his battle. Despair does fit him as well, now that I look back at it, although I'd still stay Ulquiorra personified despair too a much greater extent.
    Quote Quote:
    Further more, I want to mention that Grimmjow's 'wrath' might also be interpreted as just rivalry (toward Ichigo). If you think of it closer you'll figure out that all of his rebelliously actions had something to do with Ichigo (heading off to KKT with his fraccions without premission, ignoring Aizen's instructions, getting rid of Loly and Menoly to free Orihime, the melee with Ulquiorra.. all things can be connected to Ichigo, which he said was only 'his prey'). It's not uncontrolled wrath and random aggression, like it'd be in Yammy's case (killing dozen humans by sucking their souls, killing a companion who doctored him, Rudobone, Loly, Menoly, etcetc).
    Yammy's violence just stems from the fact that he has no respect for those weaker than him. He does not value life and his killing during the series seemed to be a bi-product of that. To me, he doesn't even seem angry during the Byakuya/Kenpachi fight, the very fact that he's saying that he's reached his anger threshold so calmly doesn't seem right to me. I'm not saying he hasn't but I wouldn't call what he's feeling worthy of the title of wrath, which is a more powerful emotion that fits Grimmjow better imo. Yes Grimmjow's rebellious actions are due to Ichigo, in fact, Ichigo's personality and eyes are what piss Grimmjow off most. No other character has shown so much blind hatred that could be comparable to Grimmjow, including Yammy's "cool" anger.

  6. #6
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ryanzokuken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,452
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    i was thinking about Grimmjow and his weird personality shift the other day.

    before arrancarization, in his panther form, he was very quiet and stoic. now he's so brash and in-your-face. what's with the change?

  7. #7
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fun Forum
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    5,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    Well, at first he had the goal to gain power by becoming a vastrolord menos. After Aizen gave him the power through arrancarization instead, he wanted to test it on battlefield. There was no longer the fear to regress to gillian level.

    In Ichigo he might have seen an worthy (?) opponent/rival.. dunno. Dude got some issues, from every point of view.
    Last edited by Evil3ye; August 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM.

  8. #8
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Country
    Belgium
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    grimmjow was quiet maybe his arrancarization built up a blood lust in him ..he wanted to be stronger then meets someone who Aizen wants to watch..he thinks he kills ichigo he be stronger than everyone.

    as harribel i would say she more wrath..espically after death of faccion or just attacking her faccion...but not lust...

  9. #9
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    Yammy - Wrath (obviously, because of his Ressurrecion)
    Starrk - Sloth (obviously)
    Ulquiorra - Lust (obviously, because his fight's chapter titles were Lust, Pt 1, 2, 3 etc)
    Nnoitra - Envy (he was always wishing to become stronger)
    Zommari - Pride (Byakuya vs Zommari was basically a fight of pride)
    Aaroniero - Gluttony (obviously, because of the same reason as Yammy)
    Don't know about Greed, but maybe Szayelaporro for wanting to learn everything?

    Although, to be fair, half of the Espada could all cover Pride, since they were such condescending a**hats. (2, 5, 7, 8)

  10. #10
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    Yammy Riyalgo - Gluttony
    >Pretty much self explainitory.
    Coyote Starrk - Sloth
    >Starrk's sin is not just laziness it's depression he does not like to fight out of fear not his own of course but fear for his comrades lives which would leave him truely alone.
    Baraggan Luisenbarn - Pride
    >Baraggan is Pride pure and simple, his own zanpaktou is arrogance incarnate. He is not Vainglory though because his pride is justified with the only thing capable of killing him being his own power.
    Tia Harribel - N/A
    >As I see it Harribel doesn't have a real sin except maybe the mistake of following Aizen.
    Ulquiorra Cifer - Melancholy
    >Ulquiorra isn't despair really he is empty inside he has no emotions weither good or bad he's pretty much a hollow sell.
    Nnoitra Jiruga - Envy
    >Pretty obvious really.
    Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez - Wrath
    >Also pretty obvious except he isn't really a blind rage or unnessicarily angry just the want to destroy his opponets.
    Zommari Leroux - Lust
    >His amor lusting after control and power of the ones he faces.
    Szayel Aporro Granz - Vainglory
    >What got me here is his claims of perfection but this is an empty boast.
    Aaroniero Arruruerie - Greed
    >Again obvious.

  11. #11
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    Quote Originally Posted by Mashiro_Luna View Post
    Yammy Riyalgo - Gluttony
    >Pretty much self explainitory.
    Aaroniero Arruruerie - Greed
    >Again obvious.
    Yammy's is true based on his Gonzui and stuff like that, but his aspect shouldn't be Gluttony. That should be Aaroniero's. And Greed isn't the same as Gluttony. Gluttony indicates eating things, which is what Aaroniero's power is entirely based on.

    So, how about a revision to mine.

    Yammy = Wrath (Zanpaku'to is named Ira = Wrath)
    Starrk = Sloth (Aspect of death is Sloth)
    Baraggan =
    Harribel =
    Ulquiorra = Pride (Kubo's street clothes design has Pride written on his shirt)
    Nnoitra = Envy (Insatiable desire to better than the others)
    Grimmjow = Greed (Needs to be the "King") (dunno about this one, though)
    Zommari =
    Szayelaporro = Lust (Zanpaku'to is named Fornicaras = To fornicate)
    Aaroniero = Gluttony (Zanpaku'to is named Glotoneria = Gluttony)

  12. #12
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    Quote Originally Posted by slmcknett View Post
    Yammy's is true based on his Gonzui and stuff like that, but his aspect shouldn't be Gluttony. That should be Aaroniero's. And Greed isn't the same as Gluttony. Gluttony indicates eating things, which is what Aaroniero's power is entirely based on.

    So, how about a revision to mine.

    Yammy = Wrath (Zanpaku'to is named Ira = Wrath)
    Starrk = Sloth (Aspect of death is Sloth)
    Baraggan =
    Harribel =
    Ulquiorra = Pride (Kubo's street clothes design has Pride written on his shirt)
    Nnoitra = Envy (Insatiable desire to better than the others)
    Grimmjow = Greed (Needs to be the "King") (dunno about this one, though)
    Zommari =
    Szayelaporro = Lust (Zanpaku'to is named Fornicaras = To fornicate)
    Aaroniero = Gluttony (Zanpaku'to is named Glotoneria = Gluttony)
    I agree with you that Yammy should be Wrath but I thought it fit Grimmjow as well so I let Grimmjow have it but for the rest of your reversions they're mostly based on things that have nothing to do about personality. Starrk is sloth but that isn't his aspect (which is Solitude or Lonliness), Ulquiorra's personality is pretty far from Prideful only boasting because of pervious experince with Ichigo. Grimmjow isn't really Greed since he spared his fraccions lives instead of eating pieces of them to gain power and Azayelaporro isn't Lustful in anyway really besides his zanpakto.

  13. #13
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    Quote Originally Posted by Mashiro_Luna View Post
    I agree with you that Yammy should be Wrath but I thought it fit Grimmjow as well so I let Grimmjow have it but for the rest of your reversions they're mostly based on things that have nothing to do about personality. Starrk is sloth but that isn't his aspect (which is Solitude or Lonliness), Ulquiorra's personality is pretty far from Prideful only boasting because of pervious experince with Ichigo. Grimmjow isn't really Greed since he spared his fraccions lives instead of eating pieces of them to gain power and Azayelaporro isn't Lustful in anyway really besides his zanpakto.
    Well yeah, the Grimmjow thing is only by default since nobody really fit that category. Also, Szayelaporro was chosen for Lust, because half of his techniques have to do with some sort of sexual connotation (impregnating Nemu, giving off suggestive groaning, reproduction of enemies, etc.).

    Also, yeah, I forgot Starrk's aspect was Solitude. But, whatever, he's obviously Sloth so it doesn't really matter. And I only chose Ulquiorra as Pride, because it seems that's what Kubo's hinting at. Personally, I'd pick Zommari for Pride due to his whole attitude of arrogance towards Byakuya (who'se like Mr. Pride himself...)

  14. #14
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    Yeah I guess Szayelaporro could be lust I forgot a few of his abilities had to do with that but I thought Vainglory fit him better with all his boasting about being a perfect being but whatever.

    Yeah Starrk is Sloth away so it doesn't matter but Ulquiorra isn't prideful all that much compared to the other Espada, he's more emptyness. I wouldn't call Zommari Pride though since Baraggan takes the cake on that one.

  15. #15
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Espada personalities

    True. Baraggan's probably Pride because of his arrogance.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts