Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: How will Oda handle the timeskip?

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How will Oda handle the timeskip?

Some comes from recent chapters - the supernovae's doing in the New World for example. Anyway, it's not new designs unlike oddlucks said. I think I read it was about Oda and the time he thought about these events.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaoneLuffy View Post
    Ace was no rookie my friend, ... and he is already aware that he has the Kings Haki, Come On Man.
    And Luffy hasn't made a name for himself yet? He's just as famous as Ace was, it's just that we weren't shown how people react to his name for a long time. So all the Supernova stop to be Rookies ones they enter the NW? Ace came just as far as Luffy did, just that Ace probably got a bit stronger in the NW, while the Mugiwaras are improving their skills just before they enter it. Luffy has the same potential as Ace did, imo their gap couldn't have been that great after Thriller Bark. Being strong doesn't make somebody less of a rookie, bit more mature, yes, but so is Law. We know nothing about Ace's knowledge about COQ or other haki, so don't state them as facts. He wasn't even able to accept his heritage till the war, so I don't see him as a grown/full-fledged pirate yet, and well he will never be. :P
    That's my opinion, so it's your problem if you disagree so much.
    Firm but Fair

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    And Luffy hasn't made a name for himself yet? He's just as famous as Ace was, it's just that we weren't shown how people react to his name for a long time. So all the Supernova stop to be Rookies ones they enter the NW? Ace came just as far as Luffy did, just that Ace probably got a bit stronger in the NW, while the Mugiwaras are improving their skills just before they enter it. Luffy has the same potential as Ace did, imo their gap couldn't have been that great after Thriller Bark. Being strong doesn't make somebody less of a rookie, bit more mature, yes, but so is Law. We know nothing about Ace's knowledge about COQ or other haki, so don't state them as facts. He wasn't even able to accept his heritage till the war, so I don't see him as a grown/full-fledged pirate yet, and well he will never be. :P
    That's my opinion, so it's your problem if you disagree so much.
    Luffy is largely seen as the "golden rookie" or something of the sort at most. In that sense, no, he has not made a name for himself yet. He is still a long way from that or at least he is a long way from having the same status as ace. I also doubt luffy was anywhere near ace in terms of strength even if the whole logia thing was not a factor. If ace took roughly the same amount of time as luffy did to get to the new world then ace had at least 2 years of experience of being in the NW. Not to mention even before joining WB ace had it in him to fight to a standstill with jimbei, something luffy right now could not accomplish even if his life depended on it. In that sense, in terms of strength and accomplishments ace has gone far farther than what luffy has gone through as of now.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well in my eyes, the word rookie is used for pirates who enter the grandline for the first year... Ace wasn't concidered a rookie because he has been there for 3 years and was as apposed to Luffy only being there for 1 year.

As for the fighting againts Jimbei, you can't really compare at the current moment since Ace was completely healthy and fresh when he fought Jimbei. When luffy attacked Jimbei on the isle of women he was on the verge of deaths door basically which allowed Jimbei to counter luffy's punch.

But you all are having a conversation about how who a rookie or not but i don't see where this is even a problem, Ace wasn't a rookie anymore and luffy was, there no dought about that just by the way everyone was looking at the two of them.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DaoneLuffy's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my point rite now people, Ace knows that he has haki, he proved it in the war when Luffy blasts the battlefield he said "you too" proving that he is aware of his own. Once freed from his shackles, he should have recovered enough to use his own haki but didn't. His time on Whitebeards ship meant nothing to his growth. He was no longer a rookie at the war he should have shown more.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course a fire logia user will have some advantages against a fishmen, and as tret16 mentioned, a blind of rage, recovering Luffy attacking Jinbei isn't that good of a comparison. As said, not that much of a gap, but still it's still one that makes him much stronger, he was in full control of his powers. Everybody got to know him being the "second commander of Whitebeard", a man everybody on the earth knows, but it could be otherwise too, so let's stop. It's okay that you have your image of a rookie, I have mine. There are better topics to discuss. :]

Edit: Why are so many saying, that he should have known more about haki? I haven't seen a law stating that it's a need, only that most of the VA, those guys with decades of experience and time to actually learn, are able to use it to some degree. It may had taken Luffy many years to learn about haki and get good with it, if not for Rayleigh. I can't imagine Ace training months in solitary just to learn a special skill, if he's already his hands full with leading a section of a gigantic pirate crew.
    Last edited by Schabrak; September 07, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Firm but Fair

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DaoneLuffy's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

It's cool, people only say he should have known more because of where he was and who he's with. He was the second commander in whitebeards crew, so he had to see jozu and marco and vista fight and wonder to himself about how they do what they do. As the second he should have been better when it comes to haki.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

ya, that's exactly the way i see it schabrak, by the way love the signatre pic... Sekirei all the way.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tret16 View Post
    Well in my eyes, the word rookie is used for pirates who enter the grandline for the first year
    We don't know when exactly the Supernovas entered to the grand line, and there is no sign that they entered all together...They just arrived the same place at the same time, which leads to many, many, many possibilities.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Bo Ashi's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember the timeskips we got in Dragonball? Goku and the others decides to split up and train for a few years. When they finally meet up again Goku has grown up and looks more like an adult. Oda is a big, big fan of Dragonball, so that's the kind of development I'm expecting.

It seems like using a timeskip like this is an easy way for the artists to "start over" and reinventing the characters to make them interesting again. No wonder Oda needs a few weeks in order to make it all work with all the characters and the huge world he built.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

looking back, toriyama actually used several timeskips. There were 3 tournaments in the first part and in between 2 timeskips each of which was 3 years long. Then before radits appeared there was a 5 year timeskip and a 1 year timeskip thingy before vegeta got to earth. then there was the month before everyone got to namek, 3 years until goku returned to earth, 2 years worth of training in the hyperbolic time chamber, 7 years until majin buu and then the final took place around 5 years after majin buu died.... Anyone who was in some way or another inspired by toriyama must do a timeskip lol, it only makes sense.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Bo Ashi's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Dragonball sure got alot of timeskips. I was thinking of the one in like, Volume 15 or 16? Just before the third tournament just before it turned Dragonball "Z".

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but when should One Piece's break end? Like a rough date or week.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skyrius's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

T___T The announcement's posted at the top of the page people. Read it.

9/27. We should be getting spoilers and such again before that.

Anyways, I've always assumed the rookies were just that. New faces that were beginning to make their way onto the main stage. But one of the major designations is that none of them have yet to experience the New World. We know that Whitebeard's main ship and alliances were from the New World, so it would stand to reason that Ace spent a significant amount of time there as well.

The problem with comparing Ace and Luffy, in terms of strength, is that Oda simply didn't give Ace enough in manga exposure. We've only had one all out battle to see him in. We know that he's famous but Oda didn't quite expand enough on how much of that infamy is his strength and how much is his position in the Whitebeard pirates. However, the fact that he was able to become commander means his strength is many times higher than the average pirate, even in the New World.
    Last edited by Skyrius; September 15, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member triniman121's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

he will handle the timeskip a lot better than kishi did with naruto^^..... I hope luffy changes quite a bit... except his personality

Thread Closed
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4