Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Music Direction

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skyrius's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Music Direction

This is just something that's been bugging me recently. With the 4 week break (*cries*) I've decided to rewatch the Funimation dub of One Piece as a new experience and to pass the time. As I was rewatching the old episodes (with the music intact <3 Stupid 4kids) I can't help but think that whoever was in charge of music direction back then was much better. Does anyone know if there's been a staff change there?

I rewatched the most recent episode just to confirm it, but I definitely feel that music placement and choice was stronger in the earlier episodes. In fact, I'd go so far to say that the music in general was better earlier on.

It might just be me with my nostalgia filters on high though, so what does everyone else think?
    Last edited by Aikidoka; August 23, 2011 at 07:40 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Music Direction

I definitely agree with you about the music being much better back then, and that it added much more of an impact than in the recent episodes. Part of why I don't get the same feeling when I watch the anime nowadays is because of this.

As for whether they have different music composers or directors/supervisors nowadays, I don't think so. AnimeNewsNetwork has pretty much all the credits for One Piece, and for music they list Shiroh Hamaguchi and Kouhei Tanaka. These guys wrote the music for One Piece from the start, both the first OP "We Are!" and the music for the series. And since there aren't any other people credited for the composing of the music, I'm pretty sure these guys still have the job. Actually, on ANN, they're both credited for the music for all the films, including Strong World, so it's pretty safe to say they're still the ones behind the music.

There's no actual credit for "music director" or "music supervisor", but there is "music selection", which I'm gonna guess is just another title for the job. Same thing with this one, though: just one credit, Naofumi Jinbo.

So yeah, I agree with you on both the music itself and the way they use it in the series being worse lately, it doesn't seem like there's been any change of personnel. But maybe they should consider it, since these guys seem to be doing a gradually worse job the further the series progresses.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not the music being worse I guess is just the impact that changed...
    And the new musics don't give that DON feelling...
    Like when they were entering Arlong Park with that Overtaken!

But the music is still way above average...
    Anyway I think its just me but in the early episodes the music was Louder, but in the most recent episodes the SFX's and the voices are louder for most of the time and we don't ear the OST clearly...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skyrius's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's probably part of it. The music's certainly been much softer lately. Which is a shame since there ARE quite a few good tracks. I have some of the newer OSTs and there are some really kickass tunes. But I can never for the life of me remember hearing them in that actual anime.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you tell me where to find the newer OST's?
    PM me if you don't want to post it here!

But yeah, One Piece Music didn't drop the quality, only the way they put it isn't so notorious, like in the East Blue Arc...

Hopefully that will change when we get into another full adventure arc, like Skypiea! In that case they will put lots of happy music playing :3!!!

New Reply