Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Theories of the world

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skyrius's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Theories of the world

So, I was looking through some of the threads to see if there was one for, well, just theories in general. Most of them were too specific, or were really old and I didn't feel it would be consistent to suddenly revive and change the topic to post my own. If any of the mods thinks otherwise, feel free to reroute my thread.

Anyways, the point of this thread is to post theories about the One Piece world, past, present, future or features in it (such as the ancient weapons). The reason is I was thinking, and this idea suddenly grabbed hold of me and refused to let go. There's no proof in One Piece canon, but there is a link to the Wanted! manga Oda wrote before One Piece, but it's long, so bear with me.

Ok, as some may or may not know, before One Piece, Oda wrote a one-shot called Wanted!, about a samurai named Ryuuma and a country called Wano. Ring a bell? Well, I was looking through the SBS on Arlong Park, and I came across a question that asked if Ryuuma and Wano from Wanted! were the same as the one from One Piece. The answer was yes.

Now, remember, Moria mentioned that Ryuuma died over 500 years ago in the past, but didn't specify exactly how long ago. And, in the Wanted! manga, although we're never shown anything outside the country of Wano (or much of Wano at all really XD), they make no mention of the world being the 90% watery world that One Piece is. That's where my theory popped out of.

I think it's possible that the world of One Piece, 700 years ago during the Blank Century, was actually not covered with so much water, but with larger land masses not unlike Earth itself. The war that was, supposedly (and that's guessing itself) fought between the current World Government and the unnamed civilization somehow caused a catastrophe that resulted in the current submerged world. And the cause of that catastrophe were the ancient weapons designed by that lost civilization. Now, I've already seen theories about who actually was the good guy and bad guys in that war (and really, war is subjective. One country's hero is another's villain) and whether or not the World Government was right in their reason to fight is something for another time. Basically, the world as they knew it was destroyed in the Blank Century, and I think the World Government was the one responsible.

As a result, they locked away the ancient weapons and in order not to lose the trust of the people who still lived, they made it a crime to even read the Poneglyph. The ancient weapon that caused this destruction is on Raftel, along with the true history (which, of course, I believe has much more to it than just my theory, if my theory is even true XD). If there really was an ancient weapon capable of such destruction, it makes the government's attempt of hiding it seem more sensible. I've always through they were too extreme, but that depends on the threat level. And if the people knew that the World Government had once been involved in the destruction of the known world.....well, they were willing to hide the fact that several very dangerous Level 6 prisoners escaped just to save face. It wouldn't seem too far-fetched.

Like I said, this is all speculation. The main seed that planted was the fact that Wanted was indeed part of One Piece's past. And Wanted plays out like a samurai fantasy adventure, with no mention of the ocean or pirates, so I just got to thinking, what if the world wasn't consumed by ocean then?

Ok, I'm going to stop before I go on too many tangents. XD I created this thread since there didn't seem to be one for these sort of theories in general. So, while discussion for posted theories is great, I think everyone should be free to post their own theories here instead of just debating established ones. Can't wait to see what kind of ideas show up.

2. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Theories of the world

I'm pretty sure it was never mentioned when exactly Ryuuma died.

Oars died 500 years ago, not Ryuuma.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that makes even more sense XD If that's the case, then it's very possible that Ryuuma died before 700 years ago, which is when the Blank Century is. If that's true, then it's possible that the world back then was drastically different from the OP world now.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so, the chapter of Ryuuma on Wanted! was made only because he wanted to make a manga with a double page action like the scene when the dragon dies, it was a one shot he made that he didnt mean to be related to One Piece.

He probably just had the idea of using Ryuuma as a zombie, using the character of the one shot to make him more important or so (in the one shot, he was the best swordsman in the world, so...)

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Shiki_Dance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecker View Post
    I don't think so, the chapter of Ryuuma on Wanted! was made only because he wanted to make a manga with a double page action like the scene when the dragon dies, it was a one shot he made that he didnt mean to be related to One Piece.

He probably just had the idea of using Ryuuma as a zombie, using the character of the one shot to make him more important or so (in the one shot, he was the best swordsman in the world, so...)
    The awesome part about it is that when you compare the two fights, both ending in double page spreads, Zoro is using a dragon themed attack. It's like, Ryuuma once again fought a dragon, this time losing.

Here are the spreads, if anyone is interested:
    Ryuuma vs the dragon: http://manga.bleachexile.com/wanted-...4-page-40.html
    Ryuuma vs Zoro: http://manga.bleachexile.com/one-pie...7-page-14.html (see also the previous page for the dragon part of Zoro's attack)
    Last edited by Shiki_Dance; September 01, 2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Broken link. Fix'd. 2nd edit: better link.
    My crazy One Piece theory:
    Spoiler show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

oda said in an SBS that ryuuma is in fact that ryuuma from wanted. i dont feel like looking for it now. if you look at the short story wanted and the the zombie......they look alike

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chess4 View Post
    oda said in an SBS that ryuuma is in fact that ryuuma from wanted. i dont feel like looking for it now. if you look at the short story wanted and the the zombie......they look alike
    iirc Ryuuma in Wanted looks alot like Zoro, and if wanted ryuuma is the same as OP ryuuma could he possibly be a ancestor to Zoro then?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Shiki_Dance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chess4 View Post
    Here it is: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_47

From what Oda says, it doesn't seem like it will be terribly significant. He says "I wouldn't have minded if this had just slipped through the cracks, but I was happy to see that so many people noticed."
    My crazy One Piece theory:
    Spoiler show

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing is, how long did ryumma actually die ago? 500 years was oars, but he was frozen in a block of ice, ryuuma as we know was not, so 700 years, even 50 years would leave little to nothing left of his body unless he was mummified. He just looks not as decay as he could be. I think if he was just burried, in the best conditions possible, he could be maybe 5 years old. But That is just hearsay because he could be 800 years old because maybe decaying works differently in one piece.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is, Ryuuma was actually a prototype for Zoro. Oda mentioned so somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where, so don't quote me on that. It was almost a given that they ended up fighting XD Plus, they even kind of look alike.

Likewise, the conditions of Ryuuma's death aren't given in Wanted. For all we know, he really could have been mummified, or somehow died in an airtight place. Anyplace not exposed to the elements or deterioration can easily preserve remains for thousands of years.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of thinking such a complex theory, why not think that Oda just wanted to use a cool character he made with a twist?
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i think ryuuma will end up being an ancestor of zoro. wano country has been mentioned a couple of times in the manga, so i think that will be one the strawhats destinations, and we will get a bit more backstory on gryuuma

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

XD I didn't think up a complex theory solely to explain Ryuuma. It's more of the inverse.

Once I realized that Ryuuma and Wanted! were part of OP's past, the complex theory took seed, grabbed me by the neck, and hung on with the force of.......Luffy onto a piece of meat.

I was thinking about the ancient weapons and the Blank Century and how they might have affected the OP world

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

hehehe yeah, It was also a nuclear war and thats why there's so many weird mutant animals (and people) running around.

I agree there's a suspicious lack of continents in One Piece, and really the Fishmen should be running things..

I think you're right about the war, but knowing Oda the world's always been that strange.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

There's definitely something big around OP's geography.

The weather, the magnetic fields etc... are so strange that the blank century must have been a huge clash between immense powers.

Perhaps OP history involved an almighty ancient being (the Devil, called 'the D'?) who ruled the world, wrecking everything around him. Some guys (the kings/world gov) could have fought him with huge 'ancient weapons', each named after a God. Then the Devil's powers went all over the world inside devil fruits.

Perhaps BB would be able to gather all these powers, to become 'the D' again, finally robbing Luffy from his own, the SH would reach Rough Tell, each of them would find how to resurrect an ancient weapon fitting their style.. er well, you see what I mean^^

A few people in the world would know all about the past, especially about 'the D', all of them were Roger's crew, as stated by Rayleigh. Even Kureha could have been part of this crew then.. hmmm

Anyway I'm most likely wrong, since my theory fails to explain why guys already have 'D' in their name, but this is quite fun

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast