Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Nihilism & The Heart: Ulquiorra Cifer

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nihilism & The Heart: Ulquiorra Cifer

An entry I wrote on KT's best character so far.

http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/104...lquiorra-cifer

Thoughts? Does anyone think he's still alive by any chance?

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nihillism & The Heart: Ulquiorra Cifer

We saw ulquiorra pretty much dissolve into the air, he is as dead as you get. It is plausible orihime can resurrect him but right now he is very much dead.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, yeah. The only reason I ask is because of Yammy. I don't see anyone currently there beating him.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a nice article you wrote, ulquiorra is definitly one of my fav characters to because of his psychology. Kubo did a good job creating him, its obvious that ulq is single minded in his thinkings but he displays something that most all people face in their lives whether they supress it or confront it head on. He was a profound character also very cool and fun to watch.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member El Samurai Guapo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a better question is: will we see Grimmjow again? He had a much greater connection to the main character (Ichigo), and following Bleach's pattern, after Ichigo defeats his rivals they usually become his allies.

Heck even Dordonii helped Ichigo out a bit before he died.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

UlquixGrimmjow FUSION to beat Yammy?

J/K

Yeah, good god. Grimmjow.....Kubo created a huge mess for himself with all these characters he has.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonyyao82 View Post
    Hmmm, yeah. The only reason I ask is because of Yammy. I don't see anyone currently there beating him.
    It's not like Ulquiorra could beat Yammy either. Apparently. Not to mention that it'd absolutely make no sense for him to go again him. Even after the whole heart thing..

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow I see Grimmjow taking over HM after all this ends, since his flashbacks have him put forward as a king by the other arrancar (would that technically make them his fraccion as they were loyal to him? sorry to be off-topic)

As for Ulquiorra, it'd take a pretty good explanation for him to ever return to life. He was reduced to dust in a freakin' desert.
    I'd like to say at this point that even Orihime can't undo that if there's no trace of him left, but honestly I can't rule it out @_@

Concerning Yammi, I don't see why Byakuya and Kenpachi together can't bring him down, considering how little effort they seemed to put into fighting him before his last growth spurt. It would be cool to see Grimmjow deal the death blow, though with only Orihime there to keep the shinigami from offing Grimmjow as soon as they see him, that doesn't seem likely.

All in all I did like your article on Ulquiorra and having read some of the comments I do believe the "set" should be completed

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I probably will work on the set as soon as I can. I got something coming up for Gin as well.

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone.

I think we're going to have to wait until after Ichigo/Aizen to see some resolution for Yammy. Grimmjow becoming lord of Hueco Mundo in the end would make sense.
    Last edited by tonyyao82; September 14, 2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: corrections

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ulquiorra was the pinnacle of the (then) ongoing motif of very human-like hollows/arrancar.

It started with Ulquiorra landing on earth searching for Ichigo, the first non-shinigami spirits that had personalities.

It transferred on to Grimmjow and his "human-ness" (his bloodthirst), in his two visits to karakura and most importantly, in their fight in Hueco Mundo, where upon being defeated, Ichigo hold's Grimmjow's hand to prevent him from falling.

Past that Nel and co. befriended Ichigo and again showed how human hollows/arrancars really could be.

Then there's Ulquiorra, the centerpiece of it all. His nihilism was more unique than most character traits of arrancar, and his realization and interest in heart just epitomized his importance in the motif.

So yeah, i agree, Ulq is one of the better written characters by Kubo, shame he was killed off. Even more shame that the motif ended right then and there (hollows/arrancars aren't even in the picture anymore, with almost all espada/WW killed off).
    Current Theories/Beliefs for Bleach:
    -Barragan and Halibel arn't goners yet-Confirmed
    -Ukitake has an absorb and redirect type shikai (think baby nel vs. Dardonii's cero)-Confirmed
    -The VL army/group that Aizen supposedly has doesn't exist-Pending/Waiting for confirmation on Wonderweiss
    -The Vizards have ulterior motives, by ulterior I mean they arn't just going to be goody-two-shoes and help out the SS that betrayed them just to get back at Aizen-Pending

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe because of the limited time Ulquiorra had, he became such a memorable character
    he's time wasn't extended merely to preserve the show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Xsoteria's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

I come late to this thread, as I haven't seen it before, and of course, Ulquiorra is old news, but I felt like you really did him justice in that article, for the most part.

I've lost faith in Kubo's writing skills, for the most part, but Ulquiorra remains one of the best characters Kubo came up with.

There would be a few things I'd disagree with you, but they're concerned with nihilism and nihilists in general, so I wont go off topic there. But ultimately, I think that there is a chance that we haven't seen the last of Ulquiorra, if the manga continues after the current arc (although the dissolving into thin air part will be hard to explain, but Kubo wont let such details bother him :P)
    Brigands demand your money or your life; women require both.
    Better be nice to them

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member cleodux's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice article, Ulquiorra is actually my most favorite character in Bleach universe, well other than our main protagonist. Imagine when Kubo decided to turn him in to nothingness (dust) like his death aspect. I received quiet a shock and emptiness too.

Although it is unlikely possible, i do hope we can see more about him in future arc.

New Reply