Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Lost in translation: Number 509

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member boyakist4649's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Lost in translation: Number 509

Changing a few things up this week. I tried to go into more depth within the text.
    All the text in bold are my translations, followed by my interpretations in italics. Disclaimer: If the text is not mentioned below, that means I thought the existing translation was sufficient to understand the meaning of the original text.

p1
    An Akatsuki in-fight over the Rinnegan!
    An internal struggle within Akatsuki over the [posession] of the Rinnegan!!

Madara: One question... what was it that convinced the two of you to betray me?
    Madara: One question... Why would you guys [of such caliber] end up betraying me?
    Madara wonders why members of such prestige/calibur would end up against him. Presumably at least two patterns of thought exist: (1) why would those so powerful choose to go against Madara himself, or (2) Why would those that founded Akatsuki betray the organization they founded?

Madara: Do you really believe... that Uzumaki Naruto is really that special?
    MAdara: Uzumaki Naruto... is he someone that is worth all this (refering to the present confrontation)?

Konan: ...He is light personified... that's why everyone he meets...
    Konan: ...He is the light... and that's why we all...
    Konan is speaking metaphorically. I think this is to emphasize the 'kindness' within her heart. I purposely used 'he is the light' to contrast her last statement in this chapter saying Madara is the darkness.

p3
    Konan: carries the flower called hope
    Konan: can carry the flower of hope.
    Because Naruto is the light, this also enables those that could not carry the flower of hope previously, to be able to carry one as well.

p4
    Konan: And the Rinnegan belonged to a Nagato, a hidden rain ninja.
    His eyes don't belong to you, either.
    Konan: And the Rinnegan was [developed] by Nagato, an Amegakure (hidden rain) shinobi. Therefore not belonging to you either.
    Konan mentions that Nagato was the one that 'opened' the Rinnegan. The term used is 「開眼」, which is the 'opening of the eye,' suggesting that Nagato was the one who brought the Rinnegan to fruitition.

Konan: His eyes... are our country's treasure!
    Konan: His eyes are the treasure of this country... [our home]
    Konan mentions both 「国」, country, and 「里」, which in this context is interpreted as 'country' and 'home/'village,' respectively.

p5
    Madara: So really, I'm only taking back what was mine to begin with.
    Madara: So it's actually more accurate for me to - ask for them to be returned.
    Literal translation is above. Madara is saying that since the Rinnegan and Akatsuki were things he gave Nagato and Yahiko, therefore he says that it is more accurate for him to have it 'returned' rather than 'taken back'

p6
    Madara: You were just a foolish little girl who knew nothing... but now you're a foolish little girl who knows where Nagato's Rinnegan is hidden.
    Madara: It's okay... because to me... you're just a little girl who knows nothing. However now, you are a little girl that knows the location of Nagato's Rinnegan.
    Curiously, Madara does not say the Rinnegan is 'hidden,' connected to his next statement, saying the Sharingan will tell him where it is once she is captured.

p7
    Madara: You're finished!
    Madara: It's over!
    Madara is saying that the 'battle' between them is over. Not saying Konan could be killed or hurt real bad.

p9
    Konan: More of our members are falling in sector 7
    Konan: Our members were [eliminated] again in sector 7
    Apparently, members have been killed/eliminated/captured in sector 7 on previous occasions.

Yahiko: You should rest, Nagato. You've been running yourself ragged.
    Yahiko: Nagato, rest yourself a little. You don't need to push yourself so much.
    Yahiko mentions that Nagato should not have to do this. It is perhaps implying that Yahiko believes that Nagato needs to save himself for more important matters of business.

p10
    Yahiko: All your concern and worry should be for him
    Yahiko: From here on out, all your concerns and worries should be for him.
    From here on out (ここからは) is suggesting that Yahiko knows that he won't be around for much longer.

Konan: But you're just as important... Everyone in Akatsuki joined because they care deeply for you... Nagato most of all!
    Konan: The same can be said for you (refers to Yahiko's statement about the person who is going to change the country and whole world)...
    Everyone has followed because they respect the person you are... and that's especially true for Nagato.

No mention of Akatsuki - Konan just mentions that people are following because of Yahiko's outstanding qualities/leadership, and that it is especially true for Nagato.

p12
    Yahiko: I used to hate it so much... but now I wanna save it.
    Yahiko: I used to hate this country because it cried so much... but now I want to save it.
    Yahiko mentions that the country cried so much because of all the pain it endured.

Yahiko: It's a big crybaby, like I used to be... I can't just leave it.
    Yahiko: I can't just let it be - because it's a crybaby, just like how I used to be.
    ...and here he references how the country reminds him of his younger days, crying because of all the pain.

p15
    Madara: I took you too lightly... you were one of the original members of Akatsuki after all...
    Madara: I underestimated you... come to think of it, you were a member of Akatsuki after all.
    No mention of 'original' member, but rather 'former.' With the character used here (元), it can easily be misinterpreted.

Madara: I was faster than you... I swallowed up the explosion. Most of it, anyways.
    Madara: I was faster than you... I swallowed up the explosion... although I took [the blast] a little bit.
    Madara clearly acknowledges that he received some damage from Konan's attack.

p16
    Madara:...I ended up saving you too... I believe a "thank you" is in order.
    Madara: and I ended up saving you too... appreciate it.
    Madara is clearly upset, and not talking politely... as he is no longer toying with Konan and taking her lightly.

Konan: Do you understand why we betrayed you?
    Konan: Do you understand why you were betrayed?
    Very subtle... but it almost seems like Konan is trying to tell/teach Madara something by saying that Madara himself pushed them away, and not them maliciously betraying Madara

Madara: No clue. That's your problem.
    Madara: Who knows. That's your problem.
    Rather than being perplexed without a clue, Madara is trying to say that he really doesn't care whatsoever.
    Spoiler show

北斗百烈拳!
    ( -_-)=○アタ☆=○アタ☆=○アター☆)°o°)痛!

2. Thanks 40 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Alterno's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lost in translation: Number 509

Awesome boyakist, my friend satoshi pretty much told me the same after reading jump this week, but I wanted to wait till your version. Thank you, I'm glad I'm the first to thank you.
    Last edited by Alterno; September 10, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    So, it seems there were no mistranslation over Madara stating that he "gave" the Rinnegan to Nagato...

I really wonder what he mean by that now... :/

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    Thanks!
    So, it seems there were no mistranslation over Madara stating that he "gave" the Rinnegan to Nagato...

I really wonder what he mean by that now... :/
    Hard to really know how Madara 'gave' the Rinnegan to Nagato. I guess this may be something that will be revealed over the next chapters. So far, it seems as though that Madara has not flat out fabricated things out of nothingness... but he may have tailored the truth a bit.

In this chapter, Madara DID claim to have (1) Prompted Yahiko to start Akatsuki, and (2) given Nagato the Rinnegan.
    Spoiler show

北斗百烈拳!

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Thabor's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boyakist4649 View Post
    An Akatsuki in-fight over the Rinnegan!
    An internal struggle within Akatsuki over the [posession] of the Rinnegan!!
    Neither of those sound natural in English. For for the first one "in-fight" should be "infighting", and "An" should be dropped.. "Akatsuki infighting over the Rinnegan!". The sentence also lacks a verb, making it a fragment. I don't know if the original intended that or not. Usually sentence fragments are frowned upon, but sometimes writers use them on purpose.

On the second "internal struggle within" is redundant. "Internal struggle", in English, usually indicates a single person having emotional difficulty. This is also a fragment. If "posession" is made explicit then "for possession of" is more natural than "over the posession of". "Akatsuki struggles internally over the Rinnegan" or "Akatsuki struggles internally for possession of the Rinnegan" would be complete and sound more natural.
    Hey Kishi, even Madara knows...

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Shinomori Aoshi's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

You are great boyakist3! Thanks a lot! It's not like you're awaiting for my approval, but I think this week's approach is much much better! Please keep it on!

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Moemin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been waiting for this, sadly I didn't notice the review being up before now. Once again a spendid job boyakist!

There were a few parts I was interested in, like the mention of 'original' Akatsuki member. Originally it could be interpreted as Konan being part of the founders, or being a part of the former main group. The latter could have been really interesting as it could have meant that Madara has new members in store, and that the group we all knew that are now part of Kabuto's arsenal would be the 'original' members. Sadly this was proven to be an inaccurate translation. I got hyped for nothing, but I can still hope for new Akatsuki additions regardless!

So Madara also literally gave Rinnegan to Nagato. Hopefully this will be explored further in the upcoming chapter(s). As right now it can be interpreted as Madara literally giving Nagato his Rinnegan doujutsu, or Madara just "giving" it by being responsible for all the situations that "awoke" Nagato's Rinnegan, with other words Madara having manufactured his whole life and being responsible for the awakening of his Rinnegan.

The sentence about Naruto being light also made a lot more sense. As always the chapter sounds so much more fluid and smooth when it's read with your translations. Hopefully you'll keep this up for a long time, because we sure are lucky to have such an unique chapter analysis.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    I've been waiting for this, sadly I didn't notice the review being up before now. Once again a spendid job boyakist!

There were a few parts I was interested in, like the mention of 'original' Akatsuki member. Originally it could be interpreted as Konan being part of the founders, or being a part of the former main group. The latter could have been really interesting as it could have meant that Madara has new members in store, and that the group we all knew that are now part of Kabuto's arsenal would be the 'original' members. Sadly this was proven to be an inaccurate translation. I got hyped for nothing, but I can still hope for new Akatsuki additions regardless!

So Madara also literally gave Rinnegan to Nagato.
    Thanks for your kind words!

Let me address the "former" Akatsuki statement by Madara again.

This is how Madara addressed Konan: 「元(moto)メンバー(member)」
    「元(moto)」means "former"
    however the same character, when used as 「元祖(gan so)」means "founding/original"
    In the context used, Madara clearly stated "former member," and perhaps it was excessively extrapolated during the translation process.
    As for having additional members... there's no implication of it. Saying a former member of an organization does not necessarily mean the organization itself still exists. However, we could say that Kabuto is the newest member of the Madara-lead Akatsuki...

And to quickly address the second part. Did Madara literally give the Rinnegan to Nagato - we don't know. Since he claims credit to Nagato's Rinnegan, he must have had something to do with it. Whether it was literal or not, remains to be determined.
    Last edited by boyakist4649; September 13, 2010 at 08:05 AM.
    Spoiler show

北斗百烈拳!

14. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply