Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: References in Manga/Anime

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

References in Manga/Anime

This is a thread for those moments in manga/anime which salute some other series or other form of media. I mean, everyone loves to see a reference to something they like while reading through something else they like, right? In this thread, let's see some of the ones you've spotted!

I'll kick this off with a list of references I recognized in Beck chapter covers. Beware: it's kinda long.

Chapter #, what it references and side-by-side comparisons.
    Spoiler: BECK Chapter Cover References show

So yeah, please share any you can think of. Don't be thrown off by the list above; it doesn't have to be anything as big as that. Be it something as small as a character using a line made famous by another series, or a character appearing in the background of another manga/anime, please share it!

2. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: References in Manga/Anime

Awesome thread, Organizized! I like it a lot!

And wow, it was so cool to see all those references in Beck, it almost makes me want to check out that series. It must be a great one.

Here’s my first contribution to this thread:

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi – Episode 8

Otsuu saying Mahoro’s infamous “I think perverted thoughts are bad” line. “Ecchi nano wa Ikenai to Omoimasu!” ("I think that dirty thoughts are bad") which is Mahoro’s catchphrase. Also, Otsuu and Mahoro are voiced by the same seiyu, Kawasumi Ayako. In addition, there was a cameofest in this episode, girls from Toradora, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun and other J.C. Staff series appeared in this episode.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; September 11, 2010 at 07:20 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Bakuman referenced quite a lot of current JUMP titles for obvious reasons. Shujin and Mashiro mentioned ONE PIECE, Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball, Gintama, and Star of the Giants... all in a single chapter! (Chapter 3) You can also find little Easter eggs of real life JUMP covers and posters throughout.

Sket Dance, like Gintama, also references its co-series! In one chapter (forgot which one it was), Shinzou cosplayed as Eiji from Bakuman.

A lot of the names of Katekyo Hitman Reborn characters derive from Italian vehicles: Lambo (from Lamborghini), Dino (from a Ferrari model), Moretti, Shamal etc. Gokudera and Yamamoto's first name derive from the two protagonists from Project ARMS: Shingu Hayato and Tomoe Takeshi.

6. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz - A character holds up the cover of WSJ from 2010 issue #3-4 http://read.mangashare.com/Gantz/cha...3/page017.html

Beelzebub - Psyren and Sket Dance cosplay http://keishou.net/manga/Beelzebub/69/3

Bleach - Love Aikawa reading WSJ http://manga.animea.net/bleach-chapter-217-page-8.html

20th Century Boys - using the hand arrow ☜ talking about Shonen Sunday.

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see some contributions! Bakuman sure does reference a lot of Jump manga. The whole series is practically one big reference/salutation to Jump.

Rurouni Kenshin - Watsuki sneaked in a little tribute to his former assistant Eiichiro Oda by putting the Straw Hat pirate symbol in his manga.

One Piece - Oda references classic "beam attacks" from series like Ultraman and Dragonball.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Organizized View Post
    Chapter #, what it references and side-by-side comparisons.
    Spoiler: BECK Chapter Cover References show

Those comparison make me think about the thin line between 'tribute'/'parody' and 'plagiarism' ^__^;
    I don't read BECK, but i watched the anime and i like it. Does Harold Sakuishi credit the originals?

-----------------------
    - There is a hilarious deathnote reference in Saint Young men.
    - There are Psyren and Sket Dance cosplayers in one or two panels in Beelzebub manga.
    Last edited by R4n; September 12, 2010 at 12:20 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member <.Haruka.>'s Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

In Pandora Hearts, Chains uses name of characters from Alice in Wonderland. Examples are the Rabbit, Raven, MadHatter, Eques (Unicorn), March Hare, Jabberwock, Bandersnatch, Dormouse, Cheshire, The Queen of Hearts, etc..

In Until Death Do Us Part, the members of the Wall uses code names of International(NATO) Phonetic Alphabet like Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, India, Juliet, Kilo, Sierra etc..

In xxxHolic anime episode 7, Yuko compared Watanuki to Nobita when Amewarashi was bullying Watanuki. Even Himawari-chan compared him to Nobita too.
    Nobita is the main male protagonist in Doraemon series.
    In contrast (or maybe just coincidence ), Doumeki's real name is Shizuka.
    Shizuka is the female heroine in Doraemon.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by <.Haruka.> View Post

In xxxHolic anime episode 7, Yuko compared Watanuki to Nobita when Amewarashi was bullying Watanuki. Even Himawari-chan compared him to Nobita too.
    Nobita is the main male protagonist in Doraemon series.
    In contrast (or maybe just coincidence ), Doumeki's real name is Shizuka.
    Shizuka is the female heroine in Doraemon.
    ... I am not a DoumekixWatanuki shipper, but i find it very amusing.

- Meitantei's Conan current arc has all of the non-recurring characters named after Roman and Greek gods : Hestia, Minerva, Juno, Ares, Hades, Diana.
    - Meitantei Conan contains plenty of references to Sherlock Holmes and other mystery novels as well.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

^ That's really interesting! I only follow Meitantei Conan through the anime so I can't wait until that arc is animated.

On the topic of Conan, the Black Organization members' code names are alocholic drinks. The professor, Hiroshi Agasa, is a homage to Agatha Christie.

Quote Originally Posted by Organizized View Post
    Rurouni Kenshin - Watsuki sneaked in a little tribute to his former assistant Eiichiro Oda by putting the Straw Hat pirate symbol in his manga.
    That's really sweet of Watsuki-sensei! Now I feel embarrassed that I didn't catch on to that reference. XD

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member arsene.lupin's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz - Kurono is watching Hard Gay (Masaki Sumitani) show.

Code:
    http://www.mangareader.net/97-1395-16/gantz/chapter-233.html

Kimi No Iru Machi - Mishima is reading A-bout (series on Shonen Magazine)

Code:
    http://www.mangareader.net/225-56921-5/kimi-no-iru-machi/chapter-102.html

Good Ending - poster Scarface in Utsumi's room. but it's written Barack Obama lol.

Code:
    http://www.mangareader.net/738-53780-4/ge-good-ending/chapter-38.html
    sorry for my bad english

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Barack Obama, he appears in Air Gear. Well not exactly, they change his name to John Omaha and he is a presidential candidate.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

In Durarara!!, the director throws in a few nods towards one of his other anime Baccano!. Examples being characters from Baccano! showing up (technically a cameo, but worth mentioning), computer passwords being "BACCANO", etc.

Oh, and there's a somewhat spoken-of cameo in Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid of L, Light and Misa from Death Note.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Pizza Hut. "This restaurant has been advertised in anime such as Code Geass, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Darker Than Black and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, though in the translated versions of Code Geass the logo was removed, leaving only the red roof logo."

I personally think it is a good business strategy; the guys at Pizza Hut were smart enough to know how popular anime is so they decided to take advantage of it and advertised their product in some anime series. While I have seen references to other restaurants in other series (they change the name but one can easily recognize what restaurant they are referring to), I don’t know if other restaurants have decided to also advertise their businesses in anime as Pizza Hut did.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; September 16, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Started watching/reading K-On! and there's a Detroit Metal City character cameo in ch.1 http://www.mangareader.net/325-22544...chapter-1.html

Ane Comi has another DMC reference http://www.mangareader.net/897-39003...chapter-2.html

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Another one in Durarara!!. Episode 22, a van drives in front of the camera with a decal looking like this.

Spoiler: Decal show

Image is of Nogizaka Haruka from Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu. To be more specific, it's off of the cover for the Playstation 2 game Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Cosplay Hajimemashita.

Spoiler: Game cover show

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast