Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: References in Manga/Anime

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member predsfan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: References in Manga/Anime

I don't really know much about Inoue, but I'm pretty sure he was a big Jordan fan.

The jerseys Shohoku wears are pretty much the Bulls' jersey at the time Slam Dunk was out:
    Slam Dunk: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
    Bulls circa 1991: http://www.mjauthentic.com/90-91roadgamejersey.jpg

And of course Air Jordan:
    Slam Dunk: http://static.bleachexile.com/manga/...0-p094-095.jpg
    Jordan: http://www.health-fitness.com.au/ima...hrow-line1.jpg

I guess these are little obvious though.
    This Post Available in Double Vision [Where Drunk]
    "I am the man with no name. Zapp Brannigan at your service."

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

He has been accused of tracing over NBA photo's for some of his game scenes.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

In a chapter where Naruto and Jiraiya go to a village to get information about Tsunade's whereabouts, and before the Rock chuunin gets pissed off at Naruto, we see a mask of Chaozu from Dragon Ball hanging with rows of masks.

Luffy's love for fighting reminds me of Yusuke and Goku. PLus, his refusal to give up for his friends also remind me of both of them especially Yusuke. Naruto's refusal to give up no matter what also reminds me of Goku and Yusuke to the point that I always look forward to seeing those four save the day cuz I know they can. Plus, their stupidity (at least kid Goku's) know no bounds, yet they're great in battles.

Kakashi's badassedness reminds me of Kurama. Smart, deadly, funny, enjoyable to be around, and scary as fuck when angry.

I dunno who came first, Hiei or Vegeta... but both remind me of one another. Both started out evil but became good, though Vegeta's closer to the main characters than Hiei.

Naruto so reminds me of Luke Skywalker... starts out idealistic but slowly learns the reality of the world, and it changes him profoundly. Yet despite that, some idealism is never lost. Both were even in same situation; Luke was close to killing his father and Naruto close to killing Nagato, but both refused to do so. Both are part of the destiny that will bring peace (though they haven't, if you read extended universe of Star Wars).

Sasuke reminds me of Michael Corleone, just without the epicness of Michael/Al Pacino. Both at the beginning (not the manga/movie anyway) were good people. The circumstances forced them to be cruel/evil. Sasuke realizing the real story behind the Massacre caused him to be evil, which changed from just revenge on Itachi. Having to take lead of Corleone family made Michael ruthless since he had to ensure the survival of his family.

Team Medical Dragon: Asada reminds me of House, minus any kind of selfishness House has. Both are willing to do anyhting to save the patients, and both defy authority to do so, for the patients. However, House's another purpose is to solve problems and to satisfy his curiosity, as well as his ego, I guess. Asada just does it to save lives.

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. They may not be as accurate, or I may not really agree with what I said, but hell if I care. :>

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Puck of Berserk is a walking reference as he changes his style all the time to referr to other stories. I myself didn't recognize most of them, but here's a nice detailled list (language is italian, but it provides enough images to understand it without knowledge in italian).
    http://web.tiscali.it/aviciani/berserk/puck/puck.htm

I guess everyone recognizes this one though

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member <.Haruka.>'s Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Arakawa under the bridge...

on episode 9 of the anime, when Stella grows big and loof extremely masculine, I think it was referenced to the Fist of the North Star (this was mentioned by destiny4ever also before).

on manga, Stella was also named after a model for helicopter (Sister was choosing between Cobra, Hind & Stella).

When Ric was teaching the metal brothers how to swim he mentioned something about 'asking a cat-shaped robot' to answer the brothers inquiry. Ric was referring to Doraemon.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

Episode 6

Sanada makes a reference to Star Wars when explaining why he looks so worn out. “Feels like I just suppressed my dark side to become a Jedi.”

Hotori makes a reference to Scanners after Sanada tells her that he doesn’t have a scanner. “Scanners? I thought you were training to become a Jedi."

Welcome to the NHK

The brand name of the cigarettes Satou smokes is Warlboro, a reference to the brand name Marlboro.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; December 03, 2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Kuragehime's opening is chock full of references to famous movies. In order of appearance:

- Star Wars
    - Singin' in the Rain
    - Mary Poppins
    - Emperor of the North Pole
    - God of Gamblers
    - 007 James Bond
    - Game of Death
    - The Graduate
    - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Plus in one of the most recent episodes, Nicole Ritchie, Paris Hilton and Sean Connery are mentioned.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

In Durarara!! (in addition to what has already been posted), a character has Jigoku Shoujo's catch phrase "Ippen, Shindemiru?" (would you like to try dying once?) as her message tone, and many other manga/novels make appearances as they are being read by some characters, such as Yotsuba&!.

The animation studio BONES seems to have been making a shoutout to 2 other series it animated in Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto. In one episodes, one of the character's fantasies is accompanied with the distinctive roses and golden caption box at the bottom (see this pic, I can't explain it properly) of Ouran High School Host Club. In another episode, I may be just reading too much into it, but a character had a pocket watch much like that used by Ed in Fullmetal Alchemist

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea if this has been posted already, but I thought it was funny:
    20th Century Boys Chapter 70

A pupil named "Inoue" wants to make his japanese history report about Miyamoto Musashi. This is probably a reference to Takehiko Inoue's Vagabond, which is about Miyamoto Musashi.
    The teacher replies "But make sure to capture the social background and not just the sword fights!" - could this be a slight taunt against Inoue?

Now I wonder if the following pages of the same scene also refer to mangaka and their works? The pupils and their topics are:
    -Inoue and Miyamoto Musashi (Takehiko Inoue - Vagabond)
    -Egawa and the Russian-Japanese War
    -Okano and Abeno Seimei

20th century boys generally contains a lot of references to (especially old!) manga. The ever-present "friend" logo is a reference to a symbol in a Shonen magazine, but that's even going a little into the plot...

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Still about 20th Century boys, i got a feeling that the duo mangakas in the manga refer to Hiroshi Fujimoto and Moto Abiko. They wore the same beret hat as the caricature of those duo mangaka. Of course, i have no proof for this, it is just a hunch.

Urasawa Naoki-sensei loves to put a lot of historical references in his manga. In his newest manga, Billy Bat, the references are so rich and interesting that i could have written a book from it. Check it out~

-------------

In Harlem Beat, there is a character named Kobayashi Sumitsugu who joins a Kendo club in middle school and joins the basketball club in high school. Then he becomes the captain of the basketball club. Inoue Takehiko himself joined Kendo club in middle school and became the captain of basketball club in high school. Of course, calling Kobayashi a reference to Inoue seems so far-fetched because both of them have vastly different characteristic... but i find the similarity interesting

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R4n View Post
    ^ Still about 20th Century boys, i got a feeling that the duo mangakas in the manga refer to Hiroshi Fujimoto and Moto Abiko. They wore the same beret hat as the caricature of those duo mangaka. Of course, i have no proof for this, it is just a hunch.
    A translator even explained the reference, hope I can find it... somewhere where they explain their name as a duo, there is a footnote by the translator.
    Edit: here it is: http://i6.mangareader.net/20th-centu...ys-1562198.jpg

Their name in the manga: Ujiki+Kaneko = Ujiko Ujio
    Reference to: Authors of Doraemon, writing under the synonyme Fujiko Fujio

Could this be a reference to SAW btw? http://i23.mangareader.net/20th-cent...ys-1562383.jpg
    I'm not sure though if this might perhaps be even older than SAW?

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Oh really? haha, i am so glad my hunch turns out to be right xD
    I read the hardcopy, so i never see the translator's note
    EDIT: oh yeah, the name is so damn obviously a pun, how could i missed it xDD

----------
    I am not sure if anybody ever mentioned this, but Akira-sensei modeled one character in Dr. Slump from his editor. He himself shows up in the manga quite frequently.

In Meitantei Conan, there are a lot of references about mystery novels and famous detectives. There is 'Cafe Poirot' and 'Restaurant Colombo'. He even spoiler the ending of the 'ABC Murder' by Agatha Christie in one of the case...

Genshiken is a manga about otaku culture, of course there are manga/anime/games references galore. In fact, Ogiue is so obviously looking for Full Metal Alchemist yaoi doujinshis (Roy x Ed, to be precise) in Comiket...
    Last edited by R4n; March 03, 2011 at 12:33 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    Could this be a reference to SAW btw? http://i23.mangareader.net/20th-cent...ys-1562383.jpg
    I'm not sure though if this might perhaps be even older than SAW?
    I've never read 20th Century Boys, but isn't the character on the screen a reference to Ninja Hattori, which is by the creators of Doraemon? I mean he looks a lot like him.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    I've never read 20th Century Boys, but isn't the character on the screen a reference to Ninja Hattori, which is by the creators of Doraemon? I mean he looks a lot like him.
    Oh absolutely! That guy is definitly wearing a Ninja Hattori mask.

It's one of countless references and direct mentionings of old manga. After all a good part of the story takes place between 1967 and 1970, so there are many manga of that time mentioned. And Ninja Hattori ran in 1964 – 1971 according to Wikipedia.

Here is another one from 20th Century Boys. The way it's phrased makes it obvious that it is a reference, but I wouldnt have understood it without the editor's sidenote, according to which this is a reference two both Ashita no Joe and Kyojin no Hoshi.
    Dialogue:
    "What's your name?"
    "I... I am patrol officer Hoshi!"
    "Hoshi-Kun... guess that makes me Yabuki Joe."

Explanation added by the editor: http://www.mangareader.net/111-3831-...apter-192.html
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; March 07, 2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Many names in Fullmetal Alchemist are references to military vehicles or weapons; for example, Roy Mustang gets his name from the P-51 Mustang, Riza Hawkeye from Grumman E-2 Hawkeye (incidentally, her grandfather's name is Grumman), Alex Louis and Mira Olivier Armstrong from the Armstrong Whitworth Whitley, Maes Hughes from the Hughes H-4 Hercules, King Bradley from the M2 Bradley tank and so on.

Guess this is also a shout-out by Ohba-sensei for his/her other series, when s/he put Bakuman's Azuki Miho's birthday as 5th November (the day a certain character in Death Note dies). Also, when Saikou returns to the classroom to retrieve his notebook, Shuujin says to him "it's not like it's a death note, is it?" (or something to that effect).

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast