Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: References in Manga/Anime

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: References in Manga/Anime

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    Lol, John titor is actually a person irl.
    I never would have thought of that and never knew that.
    As Zeltrax says it, John Titor is mentioned in Steins;Gate.

Pepsi and other real life advertising are used in Tiger and Bunny.

Thanks to Jeffry2009 for the pic!

Last edited by destiny4ever; April 17, 2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach
    Maybe it's just the translation but iirc in one of the more recent chapters one of the characters mentioned playing Tekken.

One Piece
    Alot of references in the name of characters.
    • Marshall D Teach modeled on Edward Teach, both known as Blackbeard
    • Kuma modeled on Bartholomew Roberts
    • Rayleigh's name referring to Sir Walter Raleigh
    • Trafalgar Law's name a reference to the Battle of Trafalgar
    • Doflamingo's name a reference to Don Quixote, then of course there is the contrasting perception of chasing dreams by both characters.
    • Kizaru's Design was modeled on the actor Kunie Tanaka.
    I'm sure there's plenty more.

Edit: I didn't pick up on it the first time but upon later reading I found out that the 2nd Epsiode of GITS SAC 2nd GIG appears to be a reference to Taxi Driver.
    Last edited by Bromamura; April 18, 2011 at 08:31 AM.

4. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xCUBE View Post
    One Piece
    Alot of references in the name of characters.
    • Marshall D Teach modeled on Edward Teach, both known as Blackbeard
    • Kuma modeled on Bartholomew Roberts
    • Rayleigh's name referring to Sir Walter Raleigh
    • Trafalgar Law's name a reference to the Battle of Trafalgar
    • Doflamingo's name a reference to Don Quixote, then of course there is the contrasting perception of chasing dreams by both characters.
    • Kizaru's Design was modeled on the actor Kunie Tanaka.
    I'm sure there's plenty more.
    Ah, can't believe I (and anyone else) hasn't mentioned those yet.. I'll add some to that list.
    • First of all, I'm not so sure about Trafalgar Law's name being a reference to the Battle of Trafalgar as much as the real-life Edward Low (which Eichiiro Oda himself said he was based on).
    • Both Marshall D. Teach's (Blackbeard) and also Edward Newgate's (Whitebeard) names are based on the real-life pirate Edward Teach, a.k.a. Blackbeard like you mentioned.
    • Roronoa Zoro's name is based on real-life pirate François l'Olonnais
    • Eustass Kidd modeled after real-life pirate William Kidd.
    • Capone Bege is named after gangster Al Capone, as his crew is all mafia-themed and stuff.
    • X. Drake is based on Francis Drake who was a Vice Admiral and renowned hero of the English, but considered a pirate to the Spaniards for the many raids he launched on their ships. Not exactly the same as X. Drake who ditched the Marines to become a pirate, but his name and the fact that he was Rear Admiral and now a pirate is enough.
    • Not only Kizaru's appearance was based off a Japanese actor, the other admirals' are as well: Akainu is modeled after Bunta Sugawara and Aokiji is modeled after Yusaku Matsuda.

Yeah, there are probably too many references to count in One Piece... so I'll just leave it at that...

6. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Rurouni Kenshin
    Ohkubo Toshimichi was, in real life, one of the three great nobles who led the Meiji Restoration. There is a character by the same name and of course who looks like the real Ohkubo in the manga, and the interesting thing is the similarities (or not?) in the way they were assassinated.
    Spoiler show

Just thought it was pretty interesting how Watsuki manipulated historical facts a little to suit his purposes

There is also Saitou Hajime who was based off his real-life counterpart with the same name. They did not really look similar, but they were both captains within the Shinsengumi. Both the real-life Saitou and manga Saitou go by the alias Fujita Gorou and served as policemen after the restoration.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Organizized View Post
    Ah, can't believe I (and anyone else) hasn't mentioned those yet.. I'll add some to that list.
    • First of all, I'm not so sure about Trafalgar Law's name being a reference to the Battle of Trafalgar as much as the real-life Edward Low (which Eichiiro Oda himself said he was based on).
    • Both Marshall D. Teach's (Blackbeard) and also Edward Newgate's (Whitebeard) names are based on the real-life pirate Edward Teach, a.k.a. Blackbeard like you mentioned.
    • Roronoa Zoro's name is based on real-life pirate François l'Olonnais
    • Eustass Kidd modeled after real-life pirate William Kidd.
    • Capone Bege is named after gangster Al Capone, as his crew is all mafia-themed and stuff.
    • X. Drake is based on Francis Drake who was a Vice Admiral and renowned hero of the English, but considered a pirate to the Spaniards for the many raids he launched on their ships. Not exactly the same as X. Drake who ditched the Marines to become a pirate, but his name and the fact that he was Rear Admiral and now a pirate is enough.
    • Not only Kizaru's appearance was based off a Japanese actor, the other admirals' are as well: Akainu is modeled after Bunta Sugawara and Aokiji is modeled after Yusaku Matsuda.

Yeah, there are probably too many references to count in One Piece... so I'll just leave it at that...
    Wow that is indeed very interesting, I had no idea both Aokiji and Akainu were based on actors as well.

As its probably well know in Bleach Kubo likes to reference famous architects in the names of his Espadas:
    • Barragan is named after Luis Barragan the mexican architect.
    • GJ's name takes inspiration from Nicholas Grimmshaw.
    • Nnoitra's name based on that of Richard Neutra and Paul Gilger.

Also to add one to Rurouni Kenshin there's Okita Soji, another captain of the Shisengumi who appears in the OVA and briefly in the manga. He was even shown to cough blood as a reference to the real life Okita who perished from tuberculosis.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    Kuragehime's opening is chock full of references to famous movies. In order of appearance:

- Star Wars
    - Singin' in the Rain
    - Mary Poppins
    - Emperor of the North Pole
    - God of Gamblers
    - 007 James Bond
    - Game of Death
    - The Graduate
    - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Plus in one of the most recent episodes, Nicole Ritchie, Paris Hilton and Sean Connery are mentioned.
    Regarding Kuragehime, I don’t know if this pic really happened in the anime, but if it did, that pic is a reference to one of the scenes of the movie “Howl's Moving Castle”.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Starbucks in manga / TWGOK, Bleach, and Soul Eater

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently reading manhwa Ares and in chapter 60 we got this picture
    Spoiler show

I doubt I'm wrong when I say there is some painting reference here
    Spoiler show

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    20th Century Boys - using the hand arrow ☜ talking about Shonen Sunday.
    20CB also made a lot of references to classic rock music and their respective artists. I think Janis Joplin was mentioned as well as the Woodstock festival.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Harry Potter was mentioned at the beginning of episode 6 of Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess there's not much fans of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure here in MH (seeing that none mentioned it), but well, the author, Hirohiko Araki, made referencing to Western music (mainly Rock), art etc. to his manga a hobby. Like how he got the name Jojo from The Beatles' "Get Back" and name the main antagonist of the early parts Dio from Ronnie James Dio of Dio. This is a 25 year-old manga and still ongoing together with its references. I actually got exposed to more music because of reading this. The JJBA wikia did a great job on compiling all of the references from the start up to the latest chapters:
    http://jjba.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_c...arre_Adventure
    Last edited by raDar; February 23, 2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: and you guys give it a try!

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I never read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure because it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooooooooong, but reading about all those references to bands and musicians I worship, I feel like reading it now..

I mean, anyone who references a crapload of great bands and musicians couldn't possibly write a bad manga, right? Amirite?

I guess they could, but I'll still read this damn manga!!!! Some day...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MisaoFan's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's mine :

In the episode 3 of the season of Qwaser of Stigmata, when Sasha is reading a book, the reference is here : he's reading a Japanese novel called No Longer Human, who was recently adapted into 4-episode TV anime as a part of Aoi Bungaku series compilation of six titles all based on Japanese novels.
    In episode 16 of the same season, Lizzie is disguised as Saber in Fate/Stay Night while Sasha is disguised as a main heroine of Linebarrels of Iron (in the manga, he's disguised as a character of Mai-Hime).

In some episodes of Mayo Chiki!, there's a reference around a character named Mirai Suenaga (created by Danny Choo). In episode 13, posters of some TBS anime (Kampfer, Infinite Stratos, Yumekui Merry, Aria the Scarlet Ammo) are also shown.

In episode 6 of the second season of Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, there's a crossdresser version of the Golgo 13 titular character, not to mention with a Tsugiko disguised as Madoka Magica character (to be more precise, she is disguised as a sexy/altered version of Madoka Kaname's magical girl costume).

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3