Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Have you ever played a Visual Novel?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have you ever played a Visual Novel?

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Hakuouki is the most popular visual novel game at the moment. It has two seasons of an anime adaptation under its belt as well as a manga series. The popularity might also attribute to the fact that Japanese fans already know the "characters" through historical figures; being familiar with the names and situations will make it easier to dive into the story.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner In Flames's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a few anime adaptions from Visual Novels. Including: Fate/, Clannad, Chaos;Head and recently Steins;Gate. As for playing any visual novels, I've started playing through Clannad and Steins;Gate.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by In Flames View Post
    I've seen a few anime adaptions from Visual Novels. Including: Fate/, Clannad, Chaos;Head and recently Steins;Gate. As for playing any visual novels, I've started playing through Clannad and Steins;Gate.
    I forgot that Steins; Gate was based on a visual novel! The anime most likely took the safest route so it'll be interesting to see what other options there are for the ending.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wintercry's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know No R-18 but School Days should be fine, right. It's a famous one, afterall, I'm surprise no one ever mentioned it.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I forgot that Steins; Gate was based on a visual novel! The anime most likely took the safest route so it'll be interesting to see what other options there are for the ending.
    I heard so too. A friend who played the visual novel told me that there were so many different kind of endings to the original plot as we made each choice. That is actually one of the best points of a visual novel. An anime based on such kind of story would be rather boring since we will have to stick to one kind of ending. In Steins;Gate specifically, something 'wilder' perhaps would be better. :P

I haven't been playing visual novels for so long. Last time I played Katawa Shoujo, and I haven't tried new ones at all. Too time consuming, unfortunately.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I heard so too. A friend who played the visual novel told me that there were so many different kind of endings to the original plot as we made each choice. That is actually one of the best points of a visual novel. An anime based on such kind of story would be rather boring since we will have to stick to one kind of ending. In Steins;Gate specifically, something 'wilder' perhaps would be better. :P
    I agree. A lot of gamers don't seem to take visual novels seriously, but this type of game involves a lot of careful planning: one seemingly insignificant action can drastically alter the outcome of the game. What's special about Steins; Gate is that you watch the anime, become interested in the game it was based on and find out just how difficult it is to make everything work "right".

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know this thread exist

Before I went to college, I used to play a lot of VNs, Little Busters, Fate/SN, Clannad and others. I think what makes me interested in VN was because it is such a unique concept, I really like how the story may have several alternatives ending and there are a lot of surprises ahead if you don't make your plan meticulously. Unfortunately the last time I played a VN was 3 years ago due to RL business (and it's just time consuming, like phio said), I might play Steins;Gate and Robotics;Note just to find out the alternative outcomes.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3