Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed

Thread: Questions about the One Piece World

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions about the One Piece World

Hi,

What I want to do here is to voice a few questions and thoughts on the One Piece world. For the most part they are simply thoughts that popped into my head and were written down, therefore it is more of an outline than anything else. I welcome anyone's opinions on what I have to say.

Slavery:

How does the world not know about this?

Anyone and everyone who wants to go to the New World has to pass through Shabondy Archipelago and would therefor be exposed to the World Governments consent to slavery and to the abuses of the Celestial Dragons towards civilians. Yet the majority of the world seems to be ignorant of this and various other atrocities committed by the WG.

I find it hard to believe that ALL of the slaves are pirates, as evidenced when that fat-ass Carlos decided to pick up a random woman as one of his wives and shot the husband (or boyfriend) for interfering.

They have a world wide news network based entirely on newspapers even though its possible to have radio and television. It's probably not cheap though, which would explain this fairly satisfactorily.

They have a world wide news network and telephone service and yet the majority of technological innovation centered in the Grand Line not only stays in the GL but also does not seem to spread very far beyond the islands they originate from.

I find it hard to believe that Tom was the only person in the world capable of building a sea train. I accept that he was the only one capable of designing it and fixing various problems during its initial construction but once that is done any competent building company should have been able to simply copy it piece by piece. It is absolutely inconceivable that no one would do so. The sea train is the answer to the problem of the calm belt. The sea train emits a sound that drives away sea kings, by following tracks there is no need for a compass or sails. Commerce and travel would be given an insane boost.

I also find it hard to believe that steam engines would be so little used in the OP world. I could understand if they were bulky and inefficient but from what we have seen they seem to be fairly compact and smooth running. A method of travel that could go at a constant speed and was mostly independent of the weather would be a godsend for a society that depends entirely on the sea for commerce and travel.

Anyone and everyone who wants to go to the Grand Line has to pass by the Twin Lighthouses and yet the WG does not have a naval base there to weed out pirates.

So these are some of my thoughts, it's fairly unorganized and probably ill thought out but here they are all the same. What do you think?
    Last edited by GJMEGA; October 06, 2010 at 06:24 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about the One Piece World

There are actually no questions in your posting... there's only a HUGE statement of your opinion of something you call "imbalance" - and a shitload of "criticism" that you don't believe them to be realistic. Are you gonna criticize Naruto and Bleach for their given and by real life physics unexplainable mechanisms, too? How about FMA, Fairy Tail, Negima, Dr. Slump or Dragon Ball?

One Piece is a fantasy story, a shounen manga - believe what you see or don't...
    no longer participating forums...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deffkryz View Post
    There are actually no questions in your posting... there's only a HUGE statement of your opinion of something you call "imbalance" - and a shitload of "criticism" that you don't believe them to be realistic. Are you gonna criticize Naruto and Bleach for their given and by real life physics unexplainable mechanisms, too? How about FMA, Fairy Tail, Negima, Dr. Slump or Dragon Ball?

One Piece is a fantasy story, a shounen manga - believe what you see or don't...
    First off, I didn't mean for the "imbalance" thing to be there, it was meant to be a guide, for me, in remembering my questions/statements/criticisms about the oddity of having cybernetic implants, TV, radio, fax machines and such while at the same time living in an age of wooden sailing vessels and flintlock rifles. I simply copied and pasted my thoughts and forgot to delete the top part.

Second, your right, there are very few actual questions in my post, that's why I said "What I want to do here is to voice a FEW questions AND THOUGHTS on the One Piece world."

Third, I am not saying that these oddities detract from the story, I am merely saying I find them odd an vaguely unbelievable. Not unbelievable in a "What?! This is BS!" sort of way, more like "Huh? They have steam power? Wow, I'd have thought that would be in wider use in a water world."

For some reason, while I find it easy to suspend disbelief in regards to the more fantastic elements in a story like One Piece, the little pointless mundane details seem to leap out at me and say "Why do they have this but not that." and "You know, I can't believe no one ever tried to do such and such with this or that"

Fourth, the reason I even wrote any of this down was because I had some free time and was slightly curious to see if anyone else had these thoughts and what they thought of my opinion, not because these thoughts hold any major significance to me.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, first about slavery.
    The WG is a dictatorship and exert some kind of censure in the information released to the world. So, unless you drive by the SA and see with you own eyes, you'll never know about the human slavery there.
    Even if you know, the WG is such a powerfull organization that everyone stay put by pure fear.
    The pirates have no moral, so the citzens just ignore the harm done to others in the believe that everyone who oposes the WG is indeed evil.

About the sea train.
    This was created by Tom's Workers. It isn't a tecnology easy to adquire, Tom concepted the idea and the blueprints, the only other persons(with knowledge) who acessed this were Franky and Iceburg. So the only way of another companys copy this tecnology is acessing the blueprints.
    We can assume that Iceburg didn't share this with other people.

About the imbalance of tecnology, this is quite obvious. But you have to have something in mind, the way that tecnology is developed can pretty well change if the focus is changed.
    What i'm tryng to say is, the way the world is now could very well be different if Einstein have decided to work with "fuel technology" instead of work with theoretical physics. Theoretically somethings would be more developed and others would not be concepted at all. This can explain SOME kind of discrepancies, but in the end you have to remember that this is fantasy..

Everything IMO, off course
    I don't know if i could develop my line of thinking properly, explain this kind of stuff in a language i'm not fluent is a little hard... rsrs
    Last edited by TheMoa; October 06, 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    Well, first about slavery.
    The WG is a dictatorship and exert some kind of censure in the information released to the world. So, unless you drive by the SA and see with you own eyes, you'll never know about the human slavery there.

About the sea train.
    This was created by Tom's Workers. It isn't a technology easy to acquire, Tom concepted the idea and the blueprints, the only other persons(with knowledge) who accessed this were Franky and Iceburg. So the only way of another companies copy this technology is accessing the blueprints.
    We can assume that Iceburg didn't share this with other people.

About the imbalance of technology, this is quite obvious. But you have to have something in mind, the way that technology is developed can pretty well change if the focus is changed.
    What I'm trying to say is, the way the world is now could very well be different if Einstein have decided to work with "fuel technology" instead of work with theoretical physics. Theoretically somethings would be more developed and others would not be concepted at all. This can explain SOME kind of discrepancies, but in the end you have to remember that this is fantasy..
    Censorship in the media or not, considering how many people go through that place every year and the fact that a lot of them are going to see scum like Carlos grab random women off the street I would think there would be talk. Of course I would also think that enough people would move away every year that there would be slim pickings for the so called "nobles".

About the sea train: Iceburg seems like the kind of guy who -would- spread that information, seeing as how it would help a lot of people, garner money for Water 7 through royalties and it would tout the genius of his mentor Tom in a way that wouldn't get Iceburg himself arrested.

Also, even if he didn't sell blueprints the idea is out there now, and once a majorly beneficial not to mention -profitable- idea is shown to the world people are going to emulate it. It may take them a few years of trial and error, as well as several trips to Water 7, but someone would eventually succeed.

Finally, about technological development: Wouldn't a seafaring society focus more on ship development rather than cybernetics? What good are fancy electronics if half your shipments get lost at sea?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Censorship in the media or not, considering how many people go through that place every year and the fact that a lot of them are going to see scum like Carlos grab random women off the street I would think there would be talk.
    Those who go to the New World are pretty much only pirates, marines and bounty hunters. Random weak people aren't going there.

Most people don't even seem to sail to other Blues. Each Blue sea has its own economy, etc.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kulugo's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah. and luffy could stretch.

Thread Closed