Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Animation in OP & ED Themes

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Animation in OP & ED Themes

This thread is dedicated to the animation rather than the song in an opening/ending. (The thread for anime songs and soundtracks is here.) Forget about what people told you, feel free to judge a book based on its cover. That is, an anime based on its OP/ED animation. Note that you don't necessary have to like the song.
    • Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OP: I'll start off with something extreme. This is nightmare personified, and I love it so much! It's chaotic, frightening, and crazy. I'll let you decide for yourself to see if the show embodies the same qualities!
    • Ichigo Mashimaro OP: I haven't watched it, but this certainly made me interested! It's so cute and bubbly. :3
    • Durarara!!! 2nd OP: I love the unique way of introducing the characters. It shows how interconnected they all are despite a few characters never having met each other. (Sorry, no video!)
    • Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei ED 3: I'll start with SZS and end off with it too. I love the Hellboy-inspired (?) art switch! In fact, all of its OP/EDs are a pleasure to watch.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Animation in OP & ED Themes

ef - a tale of melodies. This anime has one of the best openings in the anime world, IMHO. The opening is essentially the same throughout the whole series but it passes through some important modifications as the story progresses. I like the animation, the song, but what I like the most about this opening is the fact that the opening tells a very powerful and short summary of the series. There are subtle and hidden meanings behind every one of the elements in the opening and they are closely related to the events of each episode, so the opening changes according to what happens in every episode.

ef - a tale of melodies. OP ver. 01

ef - a tale of melodies. OP ver.04

ef - a tale of melodies. OP ver.06

ef - a tale of melodies. OP ver.07

ef - a tale of melodies. OP ver.08

ef - a tale of melodies. OP ver.09

ef - a tale of melodies. OP ver.11

ef - a tale of melodies. OP ver.12 / Final version (some spoilers)

ef - a tale of melodies. OP ver.12 / Final version (some spoilers) - full version.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; September 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The openings are the same but at the same time they're different. The subtle variations within each openings certainly makes the viewing experience more interesting. I also found a side-to-side compilation of the first nine openings here. I'll definitely check ef out.

I find that watching the OPs is another way to come across a new series.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    The openings are the same but at the same time they're different.
    Exactly!

Quote Quote:
    The subtle variations within each openings certainly makes the viewing experience more interesting. I also found a side-to-side compilation of the first nine openings here.
    That compilation is very cool. You can easily see how the opening changes as the series progresses.

Quote Quote:
    I'll definitely check ef out.
    I def. recommend you giving ef-a tale of memories and ef-a tale of melodies (the second season of ef) a try, Asarii. It is an amazing series and one of my favorite ones.

Quote Quote:
    I find that watching the OPs is another way to come across a new series.
    I totally agree, there have been many times when I started watching an anime because of its opening or ending. ^_^

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OP: I'll start off with something extreme. This is nightmare personified, and I love it so much! It's chaotic, frightening, and crazy. I'll let you decide for yourself to see if the show embodies the same qualities!

Ichigo Mashimaro OP: I haven't watched it, but this certainly made me interested! It's so cute and bubbly. :3
    SZS OP sure looks crazy as hell O___o what's the story about?
    and wtf, an Anime revolving around loli girls? XD sweet, but not my thing

@desy-chan I know ef - a tale of melodies from a girlfriend, she loves the Anime. And even though it's definitely nothing I would like, the OP seems okay.

now for some new OP's:

Darker than Black OP 1: Good OP, I like the fast switches and the jerking (do not know if that's the correct word ) + it has a nice dark touch.

Death Note OP 1: Do I have to say something? It's just great

Soul Eater OP 1: I remembered how much I love the Soul Eater Openings. Love the Dancing and the moving forward scenes (again, I do not know how to put it in comprehensible words )

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The openings Darker than Black and Death Note are well, dark. (I can't come up with the right words either, don't worry. ) When Light ate the apple, it reminded me of Genesis when Eve ate the fruit of knowledge. These biblical allusions make sense considering how Light wanted to be a deity.

I love the animation for Soul Eater! I've never seen it before, but the characters look really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by From Wikipedia
    [Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei] is a comedy about a teacher who takes all aspects of life, word and culture in the most negative light possible. It satirizes politics, media, and Japanese society.
    Basically think of SZS as Family Guy or South Park except made in Japan and is way more intelligent and better.

It follows an episode-by-episode format so it focuses on one theme per story and rolls along with it. There are usually three stories contained in an episode. The basic though is that you have a very pessimistic teacher who teaches a class of misfits and in some cases, psychologically insane students.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the animation for Soul Eater! I've never seen it before, but the characters look really interesting.
    they are interesting and the show's great, believe me give it a try and I'm sure you will fall in love with the anime/manga

Quote Quote:
    Basically think of SZS as Family Guy or South Park except made in Japan and is way more intelligent and better.

It follows an episode-by-episode format so it focuses on one theme per story and rolls along with it. There are usually three stories contained in an episode. The basic though is that you have a very pessimistic teacher who teaches a class of misfits and in some cases, psychologically insane students.
    oh, I expected something more dark after watching the OP but I assume it's dark in a ironic way? I will take a look at the show when I'm through with some other Anime I want to watch first

aaand a new OP:

K-ON OP: I didn't watch the anime nor did I read the manga but after all this hype around the show I just had to take a look at the OP. And yeah it's great, the quality is very high and the moe girls actually performing the song flows nice I'm still not so sure if the story is really that good but after watching this I definitely will give it a try!

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to ghostexiled for the link to the video:

Every Anime Opening Ever Made

Watching that video was an eye-opener for me since I have never given much thought about the different motifs shared among various anime openings. Yes, they are used in more than one op, but why? I don’t think the animators are just copying elements from other openings, rather I truly think there is a meaning behind each motif and a reason why those motifs keep being used in different anime ops. “It makes me wonder…were the directors going for symbolism with the openings?”(M3J) I think they were. So with that in my mind I would like to ask you guys:

What do you think the different motifs (sky, running, walking without looking back, holding hands, etc) used in anime openings represent? Can the meaning behind those elements be generalized to all anime series? Or the meaning depends on each anime?

Let’s talk about it!

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, you really did post it Like I said, they're recycled, but it's the way that they are put together, the execution, that makes it good. And the way they are put together probably also represents how they in and of themselves represent events/relationships/themes in the anime.

Definitely the motifs have more or less common meanings, after all themes are also recycled in anime. 90% or maybe more of shounen anime, for example, are about realizing a dream. The sky (and birds flying in them too) is endless, representing boundlessness and chasing one's dreams without restrictions - the sky is the limit. Running represents chasing after one's dreams, likewise walking without looking back would represent not giving up, not dwelling on a sad past (because we all know anime/manga characters have to have sad pasts) or any setbacks. Holding hands (and also someone having his/her friends jumping on him/her as in the video as well) is definitely about nakama - you're never alone on this road to your dream. And things like 2 characters standing back to back usually represents that they are antipodes of each other, say like Lelouch and Suzaku in Geass.

17. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesomely great post, Salad!

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Like I said, they're recycled, but it's the way that they are put together, the execution, that makes it good.
    ITA. That is why there can be two ops with the same elements but you like one and dislike the other. For instance, Shiki. Both the first op and the second one shared some common elements; however, I don’t like the first one but I really like the second one.

Quote Quote:
    And the way they are put together probably also represents how they in and of themselves represent events/relationships/themes in the anime.
    True.

Quote Quote:
    The sky (and birds flying in them too) is endless, representing boundlessness and chasing one's dreams without restrictions - the sky is the limit.
    I agree with you. I also think they can mean freedom or breaking free of something that was holding you down (like Noe in True Tears from example).

Quote Quote:
    Running represents chasing after one's dreams
    I agree. I think it could also mean always going forward, not matter how hard the road gets, keep going and don’t give up.

Quote Quote:
    , likewise walking without looking back would represent not giving up, not dwelling on a sad past (because we all know anime/manga characters have to have sad pasts) or any setbacks.
    ITA! I could also mean saying good bye to something or someone. Or it could also mean loneliness. (Sunako in the second op of Shiki).

Quote Quote:
    Holding hands (and also someone having his/her friends jumping on him/her as in the video as well) is definitely about nakama - you're never alone on this road to your dream.
    Yes, I totally agree those elements have written nakama all over them.

Quote Quote:
    And things like 2 characters standing back to back usually represents that they are antipodes of each other, say like Lelouch and Suzaku in Geass.
    Or that they are going to become a couple. I think I saw this element being used in one of the openings of Ranma, iirc. Ranma and Akane back to back.

Mmm…what about the wind? And hands (not holding hands but just hands)? What do you think they represent?
    Last edited by destiny4ever; November 29, 2010 at 11:47 PM.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post

What do you think the different motifs (sky, running, walking without looking back, holding hands, etc) used in anime openings represent? Can the meaning behind those elements be generalized to all anime series? Or the meaning depends on each anime?

Let’s talk about it!
    Although desu said most of the things I was thinking and even added things I didn't think of, I still wanna reply to make sure things are out of the closet. All in my opinions, before anyone attacks me for stating it as facts.

The sky represents an open space, freedom. The birds can represent what the characters themselves want to be: free. They can also represent what some characters are, which is also free. Take Naruto for example: if he stares into the sky and at the birds, it can mean he longs to be free, free of the shinobi rules and free of the prejudices that come with being a jinchuuriki. Luffy from One Piece can also be considered somewhat free as he's a pirate, sailing the seas. However, he's not entirely free as he's hunted by the Marines with a bounty on his head, as well as having to look out for his nakama, who themselves have bounties on their head.

If there's a closed frame, like frame that shows the characters close on, it indicates that they are imprisoned by something. Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho would be imprisoned by his job as a spirit detective and lack of freedom since he'd have to protect others and can't really do whatever he likes (though he tends to).

When a character is looking towards the horizon, he's looking at his dreams, his goals. He's thinking (I'm using "he" because I'm a sexist. ). If Goku from Dragon Ball looked towards the horizon, he was looking for the strongest opponent, for the toughest fight of his life yet. When they run towards the horizon, it means they're chasing after their dreams and goals, like when Goku found his goal, to beat Piccolo Jr.,
    Spoiler: for Dragon Ball show

Walking without looking back indicates that the characters move on without stopping to look at the past. Luffy does the same: he ignores what happened in the past and leaves it behind him to move on to a brighter future.

Holding hands can indicate there's some kind of relationship between the characters, whether friendship, trust, love, or love interest. Not only can it represent relationship, but depending on how it's shown, it can represent something more. If a girl grabs onto a guy's hand, it may mean she has feelings for him and feels secure with him around, and it can be same vice versa. One clear meaning is that both want to be with the person whose hand they grabbed. If someone extends his/her (oh look, no more sexism!) hand to the person in aid, this can also represent friendship, beginning of friendship, trust, beginning of trust, and/or even the helper's personality. What would complete this is the helpee's response. If he/she takes the hand, we can see the level of friendship/trust or the start of such. Though, this can also mean that the helpee or helper may betray each other/trick each other.

Although the animes may recycle or copy elements, I believe they also think about symbolizing the anime/characters. We can learn a lot about the characters and see their personalities just in the opening theme.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; November 30, 2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added spoiler tag

21. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Another amazing post!

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    If there's a closed frame, like frame that shows the characters close on, it indicates that they are imprisoned by something.
    That is a very interesting point. And a point that is very true in the opening of ef-a tale of melodies. There is a part in the op that focuses entirely on Yuuko and we see her through Yuu’s eyes. That could easily represent how Yuu is imprisoned by the sad things that happened in her life and it could also represent that she feels lonely. Thanks you for helping me find one more of the subtle and hidden meanings in one of my favorite anime ops.

Quote Quote:
    One clear meaning is that both want to be with the person whose hand they grabbed. If someone extends his/her hand to the person in aid, this can also represent friendship, beginning of friendship, trust, beginning of trust, and/or even the helper's personality. What would complete this is the helpee's response. If he/she takes the hand, we can see the level of friendship/trust or the start of such.
    You mentioning this completely reminded me of the first opening of Inuyasha, of the moment when Kagome grabs Inuyasha’s hand. You did a great job describing the meaning behind that element used in the op.

Quote Quote:
    We can learn a lot about the characters and see their personalities just in the opening theme.
    ITA! Although not all openings allow us to learn about the characters and the series by just watching them, I do greatly appreciate the ones that allows us to do so (like all the openings of FMA Brotherhood did).
    Last edited by destiny4ever; November 30, 2010 at 03:29 PM.

23. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Guilty Crown OP

Very fluent, pretty good changeovers and top notch animation. Definitely one of my recent favourites!

Deadman Wonderland OP

Pretty good style, awesome changeovers and fits the whole atmosphere of the series very well.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I’m biased but I really like the opening (both the animation and the song) of Brave 10. I just don’t get tired of watching over and over again.

While looking for Brave 10 AMVs I found the Brave 10 OP but with a different song, and it amazed just how well the non-OP song fitted the animation of the opening.

Here’s the video:

Brave 10 Op - Modified Version

“Save The One, Save The All” goes so well with the OP’s animation that it makes me wonder if that is because “Save The One, Save The All” is a great song or if it is because the OP has such a cool animation…what do you think guys? Is it because of the song or is it because of the OP’s animation?

P.S. Feel free to share other OPs that go well with songs that are not the original OP songs.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviving this thread. :3 I recently finished Ergo Proxy, which is a great anime with a neat opening sequence.

27. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast