Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do Claymore do in their free time?

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink What do Claymore do in their free time?

Lehernus and I were talking about this and it's a very good question. When they aren't fighting or travelling, just what do Claymore's do exactly. This may be easier to answer for the Ghosts but what about the other warriors. This thread can be funny or serious and really it's just everyone pulling their thoughts together. Sorry for the rush, short on time. Enjoy!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do Claymore do in their free time?

Well, first usually Claymores don't have much free time, as we learn about in the first few chapters, with Clare immediately going from place to place, mission to mission, with not even enough time to sleep hardly.

When/if they do, for the most part, they're not very recreational or partying type of behavior/personality, so I can see them prefering to train or whatever related to their existence (killing machines/warriors/Yoma Slayers).

I don't think they really know how to do much else, other then their "job", I don't really think "recreation" is in their vocabulary for the most part (ignoring the single "tavern" scene and Ophelia's "fun and games"). They do know how to live normally (as seen with Teresa, Galatea, and Irene), but fun?, it doesn't cross their minds, for the most part. A Claymore's idea of fun, is to spar or challenge another Claymore, lol.

the 7 years in Pieta among the 7 Ghosts, supports this.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 26, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Godeye_Galatea's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

For sure, Helen eats during her free time. And maybe she's doing occasional drinking too.
    "I'll show you mine if you show me yours first. Let's compare scars, I'll tell you whose worse. "

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It takes them a long time to get from one village/city to another. Sometimes it takes like 2 days to 1 or 2 weeks. I think they don't travel by horse because sometime the horses might get in the way. I feel they walk most of their time to conserve their strength and fitness. A lot of the time, they're loners until they meet up in a team to fight an Awaken being.

The perfect weapon for the organization. They fight, have no need for money and hardly eat food. They're willing to die to kill Yoma's and no one cares about them if they die. They also make money for the Organization too. lol!

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godeye_Galatea View Post
    For sure, Helen eats during her free time. And maybe she's doing occasional drinking too.
    that's just Helen's character/personality, you're right that she eats apples all the time (I'm completely baffled at where/how she can find all these apples, no matter where she is lol, even when we've NEVER seen an apple tree anywhere on the island, lol), but I doubt Helen gets to drink much in a tavern, that was really a singularity, and won't ever happen again, nor did happen before.

yes, Helen is the "wild one" of the Claymores, but when does she actually get to do such "wild one" stuff? almost never. having a "wild one" character/personality is one thing, but actually getting/being able to do "wild one" stuff, is quite another. Helen can act like she does at any time, but when does she actually get to do such "wild one" or party-recreational type of stuff? almost never, along with all of the Claymores. Also, I firmly believe that even with Helen, if she had a choice between tavern and drink, or training, she'd choose training. Claymore's just aren't free-partying girls, they're all about "business", no nonsense ladies, and that "business" is killing Yoma. They're trained to be hardcore soldiers/warriors, their life is death and violence, they don't know what recreation and "having a good time" is, barely anyways.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 27, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Godeye_Galatea's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

We can also take note that the first time the fab four met, Helen teased Clare about Raki being her 'play thing' during her free time. So it is established that they have free times but these instances were not shown in the anime.

In the manga, that celebration after the Agatha battle can be considered as free time too but that, I think, was the only one I'd ever saw.

Anyways, I'm pretty interested to see what they do during their free time especially about Galatea, Miria, Teresa and Riful.
    Last edited by Godeye_Galatea; January 27, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
    "I'll show you mine if you show me yours first. Let's compare scars, I'll tell you whose worse. "

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

haha, you're right...

Some Claymores according to Helen and a few other sources, have from time to time been known to...

"take a male human... for a night..." when they are traveling...

And it sure PEEVED off Clare when Helen teased Clare about it, with Raki!!! hehe!!!

so, you're right that some of them do, from time to time, do some recreational fun:

"recreational consensual mating/non-consensual mating"! (we don't know if the male humans are always consenting to it...)

---------------------------------------------

we know what Riful does:

~"I was perfectly happy eating-humans, sleeping, and "sleeping with Dauf"! Why'd Isley had to build up an army, I have no interest in war and conquest, but I have to match him, and there's hardly any Awakeneds around in Luatrec because of those damned Claymores, so I'll have to capture Claymores and make Awakeneds for myself by torturing them, argh! I just want to eat, sleep, and get back to sleeping with my Dauffy hubby!"

---------------------------------------------

and there's Agatha too, openly interested in mating (well with the handsome human Cid anyways/only)... and then showering in human blood.

Also there's Priscilla as well, who was brushing up against Raki, hugging him, maybe kissing him (can't remember if she ever tried to kiss him or not), and trying to get in bed with him...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A Claymore's/Awakened's/NY's Recreation: Mating! (finding/taking a male human/Awakened as their "prostitute" for the night or however long...)

-------------------------------------------

we see Teresa with free time (when with Clare), but she never did anything recreational, just being with Clare and being a "human" was happiness for Teresa. but, actual recreation is never seen, other then the social recreation of smiling at (Teresa never smiles, never feels happiness, so this was a big deal, as seen by her reaction realizing her first real smile while with Clare) and interacting/talking with Clare and doing stuff/being a mother/parent towards Clare.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member wickedsmile's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take on a few characters.

Clare: Searches tireless for Raki in the surrounding countrysides.
    Helen: Meticulously tends her orchard of McIntosh apples.
    Miria: Trains 24/7 to be a better fighter.
    Deneve: The quiet one sits in a corner and reads psychology tomes.
    Galatea: Secretly prays to the God of Rabona and practices witty jokes.
    Yuma: Writes in her diary about how she's always the weakest. Cynthing Cynthia Cynthia Cynthia (yeah that maybe a bit before some you guy's time)!!!!
    Raki: Trying to cross out the Clare tattoo on his shoulder, in favor of a Priscilla Tattoo.
    Tabitha: Secretly puts on Miria's outfit and tries to perform the Phantom movements, while her captain sleeps.
    I don't want to die. Even if that makeshift family was all nothing more than an illusion, doomed to someday fall apart. I so wish, so wish, it could have lasted the tiniest bit longer. - Norihiro Yagi

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

they are like laying close to their swords

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

it's true that they do sleep sitting up, against their swords, but what else do you think they do with their free time other then sleep up against their swords, or do you have any actual stuff from the manga that we are forgetting about as well?
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 28, 2011 at 01:25 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member jamie95403's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to think of "free time" as the time when the warriors are free of the Org. What would happen if the Org were no longer on the island?

I don't foresee such an "endgame" in the actual manga. But as a hypothetical alternative Claymore universe, how would these ronin (unemployed warriors) adjust to society, if at all?

Suppose all the Yoma and Awakened Beings were eliminated. What would the mission of the warriors be then? Eliminating crime? Preventing the two warring powers on the mainland from invading the island? Protecting the island from...?

Perhaps Galetea could be inspiration.

"Free at last, Free at last"
    Last edited by jamie95403; March 08, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
    All possibilities are on the table...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member colonywars's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello

Hym... when everything will be ended...

Well, I think that even when Org will be destroyed, all Yomas and AB killed, there will be always "danger behind the corner" from the main land. I think, that dealing with Org just may cause more problems to solve...

But maybe than Claymore as manga will last much longer
    And maybe somebody do a 2nd anime season or at least some 6 episodes OVA? (about 50 minutes per OVA episode duration time will be enough, am I right? )

Have a nice evening

And for all Ladies ---------> Best wishes ever To be only better times!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godeye_Galatea View Post
    We can also take note that the first time the fab four met, Helen teased Clare about Raki being her 'play thing' during her free time. So it is established that they have free times but these instances were not shown in the anime.
    Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    And it sure PEEVED off Clare when Helen teased Clare about it, with Raki!!! hehe!!!
    And Clare's reaction confirms that she was seriously thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HK
    so, you're right that some of them do, from time to time, do some recreational fun:

"recreational consensual mating/non-consensual mating"! (we don't know if the male humans are always consenting to it...)
    I hadn't actually thought about it like that... but you're right, "thou shalt not kill" doesn't mean you can't rape. And what does Riful do to the male humans before lunch? Does it depend on how 'delicious' they are? The question is do you men enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by HK
    we know what Riful does:

~"I was perfectly happy eating-humans, sleeping, and "sleeping with Dauf"! Why'd Isley had to build up an army, I have no interest in war and conquest, but I have to match him, and there's hardly any Awakeneds around in Luatrec because of those damned Claymores, so I'll have to capture Claymores and make Awakeneds for myself by torturing them, argh! I just want to eat, sleep, and get back to sleeping with my Dauffy hubby!"
    Raising an army to smash people and things sounds like more rewarding than sex IMO

Quote Originally Posted by jamie95403 View Post
    I'd like to think of "free time" as the time when the warriors are free of the Org. What would happen if the Org were no longer on the island?

I don't foresee such an "endgame" in the actual manga. But as a hypothetical alternative Claymore universe, how would these ronin (unemployed warriors) adjust to society, if at all?

Suppose all the Yoma and Awakened Beings were eliminated. What would the mission of the warriors be then? Eliminating crime? Preventing the two warring powers on the mainland from invading the island? Protecting the island from...?

Perhaps Galetea could be inspiration.

"Free at last, Free at last"
    Without the Org they'd still be despised and forced to live a nomadic existence as outlaws or mercenaries of some kind, which might be why most Claymores don't bother deserting only to be hunted down and executed by other Claymores who are more dangerous than yoma.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; October 31, 2011 at 03:49 PM.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If there wasn't Yoma, the Humans would try to "cleanse" the Claymores from their island, and the success of that depends on whether the Claymores uphold their or the Org's Ironclad Rule (though I'm still having a hard time figuring out why Teresa just stood there letting Rig punce on her or in offering herself to the entire gang, and not simply moved away, as she and other Claymores are capable of inhuman or superhuman speed, meh. I guess she truly hadn't done it in a long time and actually or secretly wanted it, laughs).

----------------

also, there's an inherant flaw in Jamie's quote...

you can't have Awakeneds eliminated, as long as there are Claymores who still breath... lol

Claymores would still have to deal with other Claymores (bad/rogue Claymores like Ophelia) or other Claymores who become new Awakeneds.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; October 31, 2011 at 03:48 PM.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

If there wasn't Yoma, the Humans would try to "cleanse" the Claymores from their island, and the success of that depends on whether the Claymores uphold their or the Org's Ironclad Rule (though I'm still having a hard time figuring out why Teresa just stood there letting Rig punce on her or in offering herself to the entire gang, and not simply moved away, as she and other Claymores are capable of inhuman or superhuman speed, meh. I guess she truly hadn't done it in a long time and actually or secretly wanted it, laughs).
    It's not impossible, it seems that psychopaths see rape as 'just sex' when they are victims because things just are what they are, without moral aspects. I've never been raped myself so I don't know. She could have grabbed kawaii Clare and run off, so Clare catching up wouldn't matter.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

also, there's an inherant flaw in Jamie's quote...

you can't have Awakeneds eliminated, as long as there are Claymores who still breath... lol

Claymores would still have to deal with other Claymores (bad/rogue Claymores like Ophelia) or other Claymores who become new Awakeneds.
    I actually hadn't thought of that myself lol.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast