Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Read Bleach?

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Do You Read Bleach?

like title says.

why do you read bleach..what keeps you coming back ..what do you enjoy so much gota read it every week.

my views.

i read bleach for the artwork n likeable characters..most mangas suffer coz they try to clump so much onto one frame n it looks clutter and can get confusing..kubo removes background which draws our eyes to the characters and how they move. Kubo does do good characters i hated Uryu but now he is my fav character..he was annoying n arrogant..now he is strongest out of the humans (not include ichigo) n he relationship with orihime intrests me the big bro kind he understands her (plus he brave to still fight ulq after seeing ichigo die to him)

Topic has been slightly changed and thread title edited. Please only discuss why you read the series and what you like about it here. To discuss the negative aspects of Bleach, please go here. Thanks! ~igotthegoods
    Last edited by igotthegoods; October 03, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do you read Bleach and what do you hate about Bleach

I read Bleach because of Kubo's ability to actually make a picture worth 1000 words. This page here would be a perfect example of this. I could write SOOO much based on Ichigo's panels.

The only thing I hate about Bleach is when characters are hyped and then fail to deliver, aka the Vaizards.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I originally got into Bleach because of the art work, but specifically the interesting design the of the Hollow's and how unique each one was. Granted once they entered soul society i moved more towards the character development, but with Arrancars entering i spent every chapter excited to see how each character would change and look.
    I'm actually struggling to come up with anything that I hate.I find some of the comedy parts not to my liking. Kon is great, but the other three mod souls fall short, along with Nel's friends.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Cyber34's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I read Bleach because the story seemed interesting, as well as the main and side characters. I continue to read it despite dissapointment in recent developments because I have not given up yet on Kubo's story telling abilities.

I hate numerous things about Bleach, but what I dislike the most is the constant change of Ichigo's character. At first he seemed like a tough teenage kid that was unafraid to defend himself or those he cared about. Then he became mentally fragile and nearly pissed himself everytime a fight started. Now he is back to being tough but the price for that is losing all his powers.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member El Samurai Guapo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What I hate about bleach is that it has such amazing characters, and the lamest one of all happens to be the main character.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner fusionshogun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I read Bleach because I'm still waiting for my favorite characters to reveal the full extent of their abilities. Kubo wrote some pretty amazing personalities, and there are a select few that I'm particularly interested in.

I dislike Bleach because of how illogical certain characters' actions can be, such that the plot can follow what the writer wants it to be. Good writing is natural, and shouldn't be as forced and insubstantial as Bleach sometimes is.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Drakk707's Avatar
    What's the point of telling you if you won't know where it is anyways?
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

What I like the most about Bleach are it's amazing characters, the awesome fights and cliffhangers at the end of every chapter what I hate the most is that nobody ever dies (Just the Espadas...except Grimmjow! ;P), that Kubo needs to learn how to draw action scenes better 'cause there are times during fight when I'm like: "What the hell just happened?" ,when a fight takes place OFF-SCREEN (I still want to know what happened to Kensei), and also when the story/plot gets too bizarre.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some anime problems mixed in within this post but it still contains my major complaints about Bleach:

I'm watching and reading Bleach lately as it seemed very popular but I don't really like it. Actually I liked it alot during the first episodes and "save Rukia"-arc but it became worse and worse since then
    It feels like having incredible amounts of logical gaps, such as the bald guy from squad 11 losing to Ichigo and later going totally wild with Bankai, beeing portrayed almost at captain level. Not to mention the fact that things repeat after fillers, because the way fillers are beeing used in the anime is totally nuts and stupid (thank god I found a list to skip them precisely).
    Then the increasing amount of absolutely crazy characters clashing with the attempted increase of seriousness over the storyline, leading to a not very enjoyable atmosphere in my mind. That "dancing" ex-espada really was the peak of bad characters imo.

During the attempt of saving Rukia from execution, characters were kinda interesting. There were 13 captains beeing introduced one after another, each quite interesting, none too crazy. Power differences were logical and comprehensible and pretty much the main point everything was about.
    As the arc ended and those stupid arrancar appeared, characters became more and more crazy, less interesting, having less background stories and power differences became absolutely chaotic.
    Then there is the thing of nobody ever dying. Renji surviving against Byakuga for example was one of the most stupid parts I've ever seen, I expected a reason for why there was blood splashing all around five meters in each direction. Obviously there wasn't.

Long story short, during the Rukia/Soul Society arc I really enjoyed Bleach and thought it would be a worthy alternative to Naruto, only slightly less quality, but enjoyably different. More funny, a bit more crazyness, enough to distinguish it from Naruto while sharing some of the major qualities, like interesting background stories (Rukia and Renji's past, Byakuga's oath).
    After the arc ended, Bleach hit rock bottom at unforeseen speed.
    I'm very sad about this because some of the Captains are really cool characters and I'ld enjoy seeing more of them, if just the overall quality hadn't dropped so much since the Arrancar appeared.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; September 27, 2010 at 03:42 AM.

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I started loving bleach because of:

1.) Art design. The clothes were stunning for a manga and the styles were drastic. Not just a simple re-drawn of the same thing. Kubo really seemed to study fashion and put it in his manga via covers, opening scenes and fillers.

2.) The music. The music made the some scenes feel so much more intense and life threatening.

3.) It felt raw. The anime didn't come off as some high polished piece of crap that tried too hard just to fail.

4.) The characters felt like tons of thought went into designing their personalities, back stories, and abilities.

I stopped liking bleach right after the good half ended. When Aizen left for Huego mundo I was blown away and wanted more. What came after was crap.

Top hated things: 1.) No more deep thought went into the story or characters.

2.) Abilities stopped being useful. Reiatsu/power level or whatever you want to call it was just the only thing that mattered anymore. There was no more magic to shikai's and most haven't used their Bankai's since SS arc. Top espada got owned with 2 shikai's? are you kidding me? and how lack luster was starks ability. There was nothing special about making spirit wolves.

3.) Did i meantion lack of story? character back story and abilities?

Do I still read bleach? Yes. Would I care if Kubo said that the finale of bleach tomorrow? Nope. Bleach lost it's creativeness, It should have ended with the SS or had another 2 arcs but cut out the fluff.

Biggest regret I have was seeing the episode when that one hollow was taken into hell. Been waiting for a Hell Arc since then. Also Aizen saying he was going to become king.. instead he turned into a giant freak butterfly and got now where near his goal.

It would have been soo much more awesome if Tousen was the only one turned into a hybrid and Aizen stayed Pure or broke the barrier by a purer means. Or by killing the spirit king and becoming the center for all spirit particles Ichigo would be forced to press his hollow side to the max while Aizen was still the same just over flowing with force. Then we could have seen his bankai finally against a super hollow/trained Ichigo and other captains and their bankai's.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I began to read Bleach because it was interesting, well drawn, different, stylish, funny and awesome. Now... I'll be cruel... only artwork is the same. And I read it so I'll now how it ends :P But recent chapters give me hope... maybe old Bleach will be back?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I've definitly add to my nagging list:
    There are way too many turnarounds.
    At a certain point all of a fight becomes boring because there are more than five turning points in single fights. Everything becomes meaningless. Oh, someone is beeing slapped around all day and almost bleeds to death? No problem, there might be another turnaround even if one guy lost half his blood and the other one doesn't have a scratch.
    Dramatugy loses all meaning when really grave turnarounds are constantly happening instead of remaining a special and rare event. Bleach exhausts the device of turnarounds very early on until it's overstrung big times.

And there's another thing which keeps bothering me... many characters are said to be very old, fifty years at least, many rather some centuries. And yet there are lots of characters which seem to have such an underdeveloped mindset and not many experience at all. Many still don't have found any determination or ethic view and keep beeing surprised by pretty basic things.
    There are alot of "complete" characters like Urahara Kisuke and that Captain with the flower cape (I'm not good at memorizing their names as they keep switching surname and prename ^^), even Kenpachi in a way. They have overcome their doubts and live by their philosophy and are interesting in their way. But many others simply are too naive (in the negative way as naivete can be a positive trait as well), especially for people beeing so old.
    To use, once again, Naruto as a comparison: Those with much experience almost always have a very firm character and alot of determination in their way. I like that better than the widespread naivete appearing in Bleach. It allows adressing serious topics while skipping tiny details and approaching them with full force. Such as Nagato, who firmly believes in his idea that the world needs to experience pain to grow up. There aren't many deep discussions of such in Bleach, everything seems more superficial even when equal discussions come up. And it leads to annoying situations of almost every character refusing to go all-out to end a fight quickly, even if their comrades are at danger. Also there are those moments when one side has trapped the other in a dead-end situations and fail to finish it because they stop fighting and start talking, allowing their opponent to escape, instead of showing some resolution to finish it right there. Or they let their opponents survive although they clearly are enemy soldiers who will return to the battlefield when they're allowed to recover. I hate these situations, they seem so silly to me.
    Once more a reason which makes the Captains beeing so important to the story. They lack this kind of irresolution. The appearance of captains increases the niveau of Bleach immensely. Chapters without them seem way worse to me.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; September 27, 2010 at 05:31 PM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only reason to read Bleach is to learn what not to do, though I'm also curious as to how Kubo can top himself yet again. What I dislike most about this series is its inconsistant powerscaling (e.g. Shikai Ichigo is as strong as Zaraki who is as strong as the 5th Espada) and Kubo's usage of panel space (e.g. "THE HEART" ).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member vizardichigo's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach is my fav manga that is still in circulation...I love the symbolism eg Aizen being the fallen angel etc..I love the characters and the abilities...I like the fatc that its simple yet there are some really nice plot twists that are very entertaining...When it comes to plot twists, Kubo is definitely my fav mangaka...I like the comedy and the fact that all the characters, no matter how insignificant get some screen time...I also like that the plot itself does not have any real inconsistencies...There are flaws but compared to other manga, there are no real direct contradictions to what was stated earlier in the manga....

What i dont like is the pacing and that there are too many fights going on simultaneously....Gets kinda hectic....Also no protagonist dies...Other than that, i have no real problem with it...
    Thank You Kubo...You have proven once and for all, that Yamamoto Genryuusai is STRONGER THAN AIZEN SOUSUKE despite what the fanboys think

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity elitefox's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizardichigo View Post
    Bleach is my fav manga that is still in circulation...I love the symbolism eg Aizen being the fallen angel etc..I love the characters and the abilities...I like the fatc that its simple yet there are some really nice plot twists that are very entertaining...When it comes to plot twists, Kubo is definitely my fav mangaka...I like the comedy and the fact that all the characters, no matter how insignificant get some screen time...I also like that the plot itself does not have any real inconsistencies...There are flaws but compared to other manga, there are no real direct contradictions to what was stated earlier in the manga....

What i dont like is the pacing and that there are too many fights going on simultaneously....Gets kinda hectic....Also no protagonist dies...Other than that, i have no real problem with it...

Lol, I hope I got that kind of thinking

I read bleach up to now cause I already started it, it did fascinate me to an extent and fascinate me at some moments but just for the purpose of having to read a manga

If OP and naruto didn't exist, I might have more interest in this manga
    CLEANED

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Phenom's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason why I continuously read Bleach is because I'm always anticipating to see Bankai's. At least that's what's keeping me going with the series. Kubo's doing quite the number on me in my waiting too. It's like he knows what I'm thinking because I've always said that once I've see all the bankai's I'm pretty much done with the series.

Another reason why I like reading Bleach is that I'm a sucker for good artwork. Kubo may not succeed in storytelling like Naruto or have a bunch of great characters like One Piece, but Kubo excels in art. (It's a good thing you got people as strange as me around because I favor art, action and characters over story lol)

And then there's the samurai theme. That alone makes me bias towards Bleach when comparing it to One Piece and Naruto.

Now as far as some things I hate about Bleach. The main thing I've been hating about Bleach is how Kubo is handling his characters. It still bothers me how the top 3 espada didn't live up to the hype (although, I'm of the opinion that we probably brought that on ourselves, but then again Hitsugaya started it) The Vaizards (sp?) also didn't live up to my expectations either. It felt as if they were just some weak characters compared to everyone else. Tactics is also another issue I have with this series. Throughout the entire fight with Aizen you have to wonder why no one used their bankai (outside of Saijin and Hitsugaya). Why did Yamammoto wait on the sidelines like he did? (Even worst, use an attack that was sacrificing everyone in the vicinity) It's like when it comes to logic/tactics (outside of Urahara, Aizen and possibly Byakuya) it doesn't exist.

I can go on for days about what I don't like about the characters in general (namely Orihime, Renji, Rukia, Chad and Uryuu) but I think I'll stop here.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast