Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Character Design

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Favourite Character Design

This is different from the typical favourite character thread: this time forget about a character's personality, their abilities and background. We're here to focus on appearance only.

Based on character design alone, which character(s) is (are) your favourite? You don't even have to like or know much about the character to appreciate his/her looks.

Here are my choices:
    • Hakudoushi [Inuyasha]: I've always admired his white-hair/lavender-eyed combination, and his outfit is interesting too. Despite looking like a kid, there's something eerie about him.
    • Croquant Bouche [Katekyo Hitman Reborn]: He hasn't even spoken yet, but he's totes badass okay? XD
    • Kappa [Nurarihyon no Mago]: Nurarihyon is very unique and varied in its character design. If I had to choose just one, I pick Kappa because he's adorable!
    • Hase [flat]: She's the girl in the top-middle panel. I love her appearance because although her design is simple, she definitely represents a "cool beauty". I also like her as a character. <3

2. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LilaChan's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favourite Character Design

Hinamori Amu from Shugo Chara. I just find her pink hair and punk look as a mahou shoujo lead very fresh. All her 'henshin' costume are bright and memorable.

Rokudo Mukuro and Chrome from Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Before I've even seen any parts of KHR, I already liked Mukuro and Chrome's character design. Maybe it's the pineapple head with the zigzag...

Black Rock Shooter from...erm..Black Rock shooter? Actually any character from the Black Rock series by Huke have have sharp designs. I can only think of one description, cool.

Orihara Izaya just looks sharp with his fury jacket or coat with a v-neck. It's a very simple design but it just makes Izaya stand out. I never thought a male character with a v-neck can look so cool.

Cure Moonlight and Dark Pretty Cure from Heartcatch Pretty Cure. I know this is an original anime, but both of these characters have very sharp and mature character design. Definitely very fresh compared to the rest of the Pretty Cure series. The 'henshin' costume isn't just filled with frills yet have a mahou shoujo feel to them. Yuri (Cure Moonlight) still looks like a cool beauty in human form.

I'm sure there's more, but these are the recent ones that are still fresh in my memory.

I wanted a totally girly sigature...

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...

C.C. (Code Geass)
    It's not just her personality that's cool (kuudere lol xD), but also her character design. Sporting long green hair (which is rarely done well in anime imo), an almost straight-jacket look in the first season, and a classy black qipao looking dress, she just oozes cool.

Yukimi Kazuhiko (Nabari no Ou)
    A very awesome character, especially when it comes to his design. Has cool blue eyes and blonde hair, which he wears with a wicked bandana/hairband thingie. Also wears some really cool clothes (which kind of influenced my style slightly ).

Kurookano Shijima (Nabari no Ou)
    Another Nabari no Ou character. There's just something about her beautiful wavey silver hair, her cat-like eyes and demeanor, and the colthes she wears... hard to explain, but she has a very cool design .

Claude Faustus (Kuroshitsuji II)
    A lot of people might prefer Sebastian's design, but I think Claude's is much cooler. He's got a much better hairstyle, nice glasses and an overall cool look.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

nice thread Asari!

Lag Seeing/Gauche Suede[Tegami Bachi]: I like Silver/White Hair so that's a must. Lag is such a fluffy character in his Bee outfit and Gauche is just badass in these Black clothes. And I can't deny that I love Asada Hiroyuki's drawing style
    Vera Linus[Veritas]: Her curly hair is great and the uniform fit's nice to her curves, nothing more to say
    Soul Evans[Soul Eater]: His clothings are always nice to watch and I like how he turns back his (white ) hair with a hair-band. Again Ookubi Atsushi's drawing style does the rest.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Nura Rikuo (Nurarihyon no Mago)
    Spoiler show

I just love his hairstyle in youkai form XD I also like his transition from human to youkai. And there's just this really huge gap I like between the cute little boy with wide sparkling eyes and the youkai that exudes confidence and coolness 8) Of course, Shiibashi-sensei's great art in drawing him is a plus.

Baby Beel (Beelzebub)
    Spoiler show

I can never remember his full name so Baby Beel it is :P Baby Beel is just adorable! So maybe I've not read many manga with babies in them, but I think this is the first time there's been a... Naked baby XD And he makes a great... Volleyball v

Tony Tony Chopper (One Piece)
    Spoiler show

I think there are a ton of really unique character designs in One Piece - I mean, every panel is just oozing with Oda-sensei's creativity ^^ Chopper is just one of the many great character designs in One Piece. Instantly recognizable and just really cute to boot ^^ Not in every manga do you see talking, chibi reindeers with blue noses either

Kamina (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
    Spoiler show

Cool tattoos, cool glasses (?), cool costume... Kamina's design just exudes GARness and manliness XD

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member <.Haruka.>'s Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Mokona
    Either black or white, i can't stop to love its cuteness.
    Their eyes open once in awhile in the anime, and their colors are quite pretty.

Yoruichi from Bleach
    I love her hair style and color as well her physique features.

Gilbert from Pandora Hearts
    There's something about his eyes are quite expressive. When he puts on his black hat, it adds more bit of coolness to him.

Temari from Naruto
    Her kunoichi dress were wonderful and fits her perfectly.

For cool hairstyles, i prefer Killua's spiky white hair (HunterxHunter),
    and also Ogami, Toki and Yuuki from Code: Breaker.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kardal - Biomega:

Desert Punk

Red Spider - Desert Punk

I'll do more later - I'm to lazy dl more series right now
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 27, 2010 at 08:38 PM.

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I already found my favourites among all of your favourite character designs!

Quote Originally Posted by LilaChan View Post
    Black Rock Shooter from...erm..Black Rock shooter? Actually any character from the Black Rock series by Huke have have sharp designs. I can only think of one description, cool.
    The designs are indeed very cool, and it would be really fun to cosplay. In fact, I saw a couple of cosplay photos while I image searched! The baby blue flame (?) of the main character is striking against the black.

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    C.C. (Code Geass)
    It's not just her personality that's cool (kuudere lol xD), but also her character design. Sporting long green hair (which is rarely done well in anime imo), an almost straight-jacket look in the first season, and a classy black qipao looking dress, she just oozes cool.
    I think having long hair of any funky colour is hard to pull off. XD No one has green hair in real life (unless they dyed it) but C.C's hair looks natural with her appearance. I like her soft eyes too.

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Lag Seeing/Gauche Suede[Tegami Bachi]: I like Silver/White Hair so that's a must. Lag is such a fluffy character in his Bee outfit and Gauche is just badass in these Black clothes.
    Thank you, naruto-niichan! I love the Bee's costume in general, but Gauche looks amazing in it. I thought it was my inner fangirl talking so I'm glad it wasn't just myself who liked it.

For a different reason, I also love Lag in his Bee costume. He looks adorable! <3

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Kamina (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
    Spoiler show

Cool tattoos, cool glasses (?), cool costume... Kamina's design just exudes GARness and manliness XD
    I'm not familiar with Gurren Lagann, but I can sense Kamina's personality emitting from his character design alone! I like his glasses, but he looks really good without it too.

Quote Originally Posted by <.Haruka.> View Post
    Gilbert from Pandora Hearts
    There's something about his eyes are quite expressive. When he puts on his black hat, it adds more bit of coolness to him.
    He reminds me of Tyki Mikk from D. Gray-man. Although they don't look the same, something about them is still similar. :P I love Gilbert's Victorian-esque outfit and his hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Desert Punk
    Am I considered weird if I think he's cute? XD In terms of the artwork (the harsh contrast of black and white), the series seems really solemn so I'm not entirely sure if my first impression is appropriate.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly it's not that solemn a series, there's a nice sense of humor to it. He's a ruthless, greedy, mercenary type of character but in a childish type of way. Cute wouldn't be a bad word to describe him.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

That's good! I'll look into the series. His design reminds me of the Little Person in the Darren Shan saga. (I've never read much of the manga adaptation so my image of them is based on the novel.)

In Chapter 488 of Naruto, Tenga the announcer guy looked pretty cool. Since Kishimoto-sensei bothered to give him facial markings and a name, I'm sure he'll reappear at some point. Hi, I'm delusional.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kishi sure loves creating random ninja's making them look really cool and never using them again. But Tenga does look cool. Speaking of Naruto, I love Madara's new look.

Desert Punk is cool - kind of a throwback and futuristic at the same time. It reminds me of 80's seinen and modern seinen at the same time. And it's from Comic Beam, always a sign of quality

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

@Asari yeah the Bee outfits are great, I'm glad that you like them too

Heiwajima Shizuo[Durarara!]: The coolness in person if you look at his appearance and I really like his bartender outfit!

The Millenium Earl[D.Gray-man]: I like his freaky and at the same time smooth appearance. Stovepipe hats are always great

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@Kaiten: In a flashback I remember he introduced around five ninjas who used to be Danzou's comrades, and that was all we saw of them. I still have my (delusional) hopes up for Tenga though! It would be a waste not to incorporate him in the story again. LOL

I really like the artwork of Desert Punk and the character himself. I looked it up on Wiki, and the plot seems really promising.

@naruto-niichan: I love how Shizuo fights with his suit on, which is very unlike a bartender. XD

The Millenium Earl's design is really unique because there's no other character that's as funny-looking and as menacing as he is; especially in the latest chapters. *shudders*

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ares's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

If its appearance only then i have to say Chikage Kazama from Hakuouki kitan.
    I love his hair, eyes, clothing and its colors
    Spoiler show

The reason i love his appearance may also come because he pulls of a mukuro urahara mix in my opinion.

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

CHII-SAMA!! <3

You're right, he does look like a mix of Mukuro and Urahara. In fact he's my favourite character from the series so...

Both his Japanese and Western clothes are quite fashionable. His kimono is simple in design yet there are small details in the patterns of the fabric. I wish I could say more without going into fangirling territory.

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast