Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 597 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: General Digital Art/Photoshop Discussion/Hangout Thread

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: General Digital Art/Photoshop Discussion/Hangout Thread

the rain effect and all are pretty cool. are you planning to add some shapes to the background as well? I think it'd give the picture the special 'somethin-somethin'.

I put Berserk on hold after lke the 7th chapter, so I have no idea which eye colour he may has to be honest. I'd colour his eyes brown with a tad red... for the insanity effect lol

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Red would be too crazy ^^
    I thought about brown as well, I'm still not sure which colour I'm gonna use. I tried green but screwed up, so I only chose blue for now but not as a final choice.

I've no idea what I'm gonna do with that shot of Guts in the rain, right now I'm kinda busy with the young Guts shot as I think it's suitable for delivering be quite a spectacular result

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

according to this 'screen shot' you're well served by choosing brown..

Spoiler show

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently mostly trying to combine clearly defined shadows like typical for most Shounen/anime with gradients, I'm kinda struggling with getting a nice effect from combining these two. Hope I can do that some day.

However, the shot is progressing

http://yfrog.com/f/6xguttsbesiegtbazusozsj/
    I hope it's not too bloody for the contest in the end... after all the original contains an almost scientifical cross-section through a skull and brain.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; October 26, 2010 at 09:05 AM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

was bit bored and tried to rebuild the face of an old art to make it more realistic. started with the eyes, over the lips and heh.. got stuck on the nose

Spoiler show

tutorial would be sweet

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evil3ye View Post
    was bit bored and tried to rebuild the face of an old art to make it more realistic. started with the eyes, over the lips and heh.. got stuck on the nose

Spoiler show

tutorial would be sweet
    I think the shadow on the nose tip goes too far up or is too pointy, but I suck at that category anyways

I'm still busy with that shot of Guts over Bazuso... grew to over a 100 layers and almost 300mb now... (partially due to size 3500x5500)

Here's a current state:
    (The smoke has some funny parts in it right now cuz I used bevel and emboss for the last step which doesn't suit, gotta get an alternative for it)
    Spoiler show

Still gotta make another mask for the background knights, add some scratches to all armor parts, possibly redesign all of the right side wall, correct some details on Guts, add alot of blood on his sword, add a roof to the small tower on the left side, make proper smoke, add alot of fire on the left side, think about the sky and get some kind of concept of the lightning... enough to keep me busy for decades

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

3500x5500 srsly? a hell lotta ram u must have then
    Cant work on 1000x1500 properly with my 2gb

the fire and smoke looks like pasted from a picture. dunno, try to blur it or i dunno to make it look more fitting into a manga.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, maybe someone could look in here again, as I have a question

I'm quite sure these days that I'm fine with "normal" eyes, but I've no idea of those supersized eyes like those of Nononono. This is what I made of it for now:
    Spoiler show

Is that ok? Does perhaps someone have a good tutorial how to make them?

Vintage Reboot 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity vintagemistakes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking for a coloring tutorial, or just a good solid drawing tutorial for over-sized eyes? or both?

As for the pic, you might want to try making the green (Iris) part of her eyes a tad bit more prominent - with all the black, it makes them look rather dark.If you start with a base color for the Iris first ( and then add in the darker areas), this might help avoid overly dark eyes...

Though, I haven't drawn or colored anything in a rather long time, so please feel free to take everything I said with a grain of salt. XD

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Only for oversized eyes actually. Yeah this is a lot of black, but I couldn't really think of a different solution. Just increasing the thickness or make it a full circle both looked terrible, what might've been due to my bad though.
    Thanks for the answer however

On the other hand I'm thankful for any kind of input of tutorials. Not for the very basics like outlines, selection and colour layers, thanks I already know that stuff, but perhaps tutorials one or two steps further. After all I'm still mainly proceeding in a trial-and-error style.

If somebody knows a good one, no matter in which field, I'ld be glad to get a link
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; January 20, 2011 at 02:31 PM.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Vintage.I think you should add more green.Make the line thicker or something.Maybe you could show us other versions of the eye.You said that you tried something didn't you.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner hanaogi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just some info about PS and Illustrator that should prove interesting to y'all. My husband teaches Photoshop among other programs, and we have both worked in graphics for 22+ years. I've worked on and off, he has worked consistently in graphics is more correct… point being, I have a different experience of program use than y'all do.

COnsider learning and using Illustrator for your line work, you may find it easier.

When using the pen tool, it can be difficult to control; if you draw a curve, it will break into points that can be separately manipulated if I recall correctly. Also, you can define a curve by placing points on a curve and then manipulating the vectors until you get the right size. Of course, sometimes it's just easier to use the 'shapes' tool and not worry about anything but sizing.

Also, you don't have to use the pen tool; if you hold down the option key on Mac, and I don't know what key on a PC (never used PS or Illo on PC), you will get the pencil tool. And there is an eraser tool that works very well on the pencil tool.

It's also important to define the point size for your lines, and you can determine that size by using a decmal number like .o2, a REALLY thin line which would ease up some of the blur it sounds like you are getting, or one of the presets.

Another thing that I notice most fan art needs to do is use a line smoothing filter; the lines appear very rough, and rather than 'blurring them' you want to 'feather' them.

Also, if you learn to use your layers tool, it will make cleaning a lot easier- you can open a layer, color it white, open another layer (make it CLEAR- in fact, every additional layer needs to be 'clear), simply cut the image you want, place it on the layer, clean it, add another layer for text or whatever. The important thing is that you put only a few parts on a layer so mistakes are easier to track and correct. And the reason the upper layers are clear is so you can see everything until you reach the 'white' layer.
    You can actually set a filter for the texture of the paper now too, if for example you wanted a rice paper effect in the background because there are fabric curtains or a bamboo effect for walls or exteriors. You can take your own photos and use them as layers.

Another method I have been meaning to try out is masking. There is some very good information on Illustrator at the Adobe website- http://tinyurl.com/67qe86 and since you can also mask in PS, check here http://tinyurl.com/y8t686o

At any rate, masking is a technique that allows isolation of specific areas of a drawing or photo, which you then can alter as desired.

I hope this has been helpful, and if anyone has questions I'll be glad to find the answers, and I will be even happier to provide a list of book titles used for teaching…

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

Y'all are all real kind to say thanks for this post. I appreciate the notice!

I will be taking Illustrator and Photoshop at the pro level this term for my BFA, so I will post about what I learn as often as I can, so keep an eye out for me!

BTW, I really do sound like this- I am a Texan with a grandmother from Kentucky and my best friend, with whom I grew up, and her parents started out in Tennessee!

14. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

hanaogi, I really appreciate your input here. There are too little skilled people sharing stuff like that, whyever.

Definitely keeping both eyes on you, post more if you are willing to and got enough freetime. I found the post above helpful and would love to read more soon.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner hanaogi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear EvilEye,

glad to be of help- what in particular was heplful so I can look further into that specific and see waht else I can dig up on that point?

---------- Post added June 08, 2011 at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was June 06, 2011 at 11:50 PM ----------

shoot, the thread had been inactive for so long, I wondered if anyone would ever see it. Soon as I get up to date on the new tools and such I will post more on bot Illustrator and Photoshop. IF I get to go to the National Association of Photoshop Professionals with the spouse this year, I'll try and get a couple of pros to look at some MANGA, and give me some hints- if we are lucky, may a post or two.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Wayne's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thow this Thread is Old might i recommend you use Manga Studio its just like Photoshop only it more tailored to drawing And Story Telling if you get my Drift

thare 2 versions of Manga Studio Debut and Ex Ex is the Full Featured ie Advanced version of Debut Debut tailored to Beginners

Url is http://manga.smithmicro.com/ Or you can buy it anywhere online cheaply normal recommended retail price ranges between 40 to 80 usd or lower depending ware you get it from

And for colouring thares an easy to use paint program called Sai http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/
    Last edited by Wayne; December 31, 2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Adding easy to use pain tool ie sai

Wayne

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast