Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Thread Closed
Page 128 of 134 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2003

Thread: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

She was accepted as one long before that though, they've gone through the whole Skypiea saga, around ~100 chapters[1/3 of the chapters], by that time. The new member of the W7/EL arcs was Franky.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Suna's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    What loved one did Vivi lose in the past? Besides that, a loved one dying is only part of the equation. I don't know what Rebecca's dream is, but I'm certain she has one. As for Fishman Island, in case you didn't know, Jinbe has promised to join.
    The first part has allready been answered. (Actually I wasn't thinking of Vivi, but Kohza) And for fishman island I was thinking of Shiraoshi, who lost her mother during a flashback. But ok if you are thinking that losing a captain is part of your equation, then I guess you are thinking that the WB's crew will join luffy... Or does it need to be during a flashback ? omg Rayleigh lost his captain during a flashback, why didn't he join the SH???

Honnestly, do you realise how ridiculous your argument is ?

Btw you still haven't answered my question... I am starting to think that what you are trying to defend is your wierd equation and not the fact that Rebecca will join (which is at the moment undefendable...). And inventing stuff such as 'Robin was officially part of the crew after EL'... Seriously?

I just watched last anime, in which the head of Doflamingo appears while Luffy is trying to 'revive' momo. And from this video I just have the feeling that DD is a bad memory of momo not that he is some kind of medium..
    Last edited by Suna; September 14, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

What does Rebecca have to offer that will make her part of the crew?

Zoro's first mate fighter who's close to Luffy's strength and can provide that toughness needed; an example is when he told Luffy and the crew that Usopp needed to apologize first.
    Sanji is also part of the monster trio who can fight and cook, as well as plan ahead and is smart; example being helping the crew get away from the Marine in Enies Lobby and taking on the Groggy monsters with Zoro and winning, despite being beaten up badly.

Then you have Nami, who is arguably the most important member after the captain. She's not only the mother of the crew, but she's also their highly intelligent and highly capable navigator who can accurately predict weather, as well as straighten Luffy and the crew out when needed. Her desire for gold also makes her invaluable to the Straw Hat's finances. She can also fight and protect herself well against lesser opponents. When the crew was headed to Alabasta, Nami got sick, but even then she managed to predict the weather right and help the crew avoid it, if I recall.
    Usopp is one of the best snipers and provides some carpentry knowledge to help the ship stay afloat. His expertise and variety of weapons make him useful against a lot of enemies and challenges. He can also hold his own and fight when required. A great example of his usefulness is when as Sogeking, Usopp shot the set of keys to Robin and Franky, which allowed Robin's shackles to come free in time (since Usopp was too far away).
    Chopper is also one of the most important member of the crew with his ability as a doctor and as a fighter. He's primarily a doctor who tends to be dumb, but Chopper is also pretty useful as a fighter. He has helped healed the crew, whether Robin and Luffy from being frozen or Zoro from his wounds at Thriller Bark.

Robin may not see as much action, but she's very useful in the amount of knowledge she has of the world and current events. Not only that, but she's also one of the most important pieces in learning more about the world of One Piece, especially given her desire to learn about the Lost History, which seems to be extremely important in connection to the world and to Luffy and the will of D. If not for her, we likely wouldn't have known about Shirahoshi being Poseidon or about the Lost History.
    Franky is a cyborg who can do almost anything. He's extremely important in keeping the ship in tip-top shape as a shipwright and can provide useful aid with his coup de boo, fire, lasers, and stuff he makes.
    Brook is primarily a fighting support that while not as powerful as the Monster Trio can still fight well. He can also play music, which is something that Luffy wanted. Recently, Brook can also go out of his body and observe without even being close to his body, whether in a poisonous area or trying to convince someone to help if he's locked up.

Jinbei if he joins would not only add tremendous firepower to the crew, but he would also add knowledge, support of Fishman Island and his crew, and likely the connections he may have built up as part of the Whitebeard crew and possibly shichibukai.

Rebecca however offers nothing new to the crew. They don't need another mediocre fighter. She also seems to not have any special skills that make her a good addition. The only thing you can argue at this point, or at least about Rebecca, is that it's too early to tell. However, the Straw Hats have not taken on anyone that weren't useful and even if they did, it was only temporary. I see Kin'emon as being more likely to join, with or without Momonosuke.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

What loved one did Vivi lose in the past? Besides that, a loved one dying is only part of the equation. I don't know what Rebecca's dream is, but I'm certain she has one. As for Fishman Island, in case you didn't know, Jinbe has promised to join.
    Which loved one did Sanji lose in the past?

Rebecca has a dream, and that's to live with the Toy Soldier.

Eddy, I think more people would consider the possibility of Rebecca joining the crew if you gave reasons beyond "there is a formula, and she fits it". There are several people who are asking you what she would offer to the crew either character-wise or fighting-wise, and you haven't given us an answer so far.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Which loved one did Sanji lose in the past?

Rebecca has a dream, and that's to live with the Toy Soldier.

Eddy, I think more people would consider the possibility of Rebecca joining the crew if you gave reasons beyond "there is a formula, and she fits it". There are several people who are asking you what she would offer to the crew either character-wise or fighting-wise, and you haven't given us an answer so far.
    Sanji lost his parents. Check out his flashback.

Alright, I admit that I'm using merely spectral information that Rebecca will join. Still, if you think she is a flat character, that's what character development is for, and Oda knows how to develop a character. Still, if my hypothesis is proven unfounded, I'll never speak of formulas for SH crewmembers again.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I have said in earlier post. If a new strawhat does not join this arc, then Jinbe will be the last one. The reason I say this is because Oda intended for One Piece to last only 5 years, but the story evolved as he started writing. Most Of the crew(Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Usopp, Nami) have been around since the first 2 years of the manga. We(The readers) have grown a certain attachment to these characters over the years. I personally dont think that Oda can risk just throwing a new character in there without some serious build up.

Jinbe joining and I will explain to you why. The Strawhats have went thought 2 major events......The Ennies Lobby battle and them spliting up. When the group split up, Jinbe got some serious face time, we got a chance to see him with Luffy without us having to focus on the other members, he was there when Ace died, then right after the skip the story transitioned into the Fishmand Island Arc, where Jinbe was a key character there, soo when he does join, it will not be like a new character, but an old one who has just been away for a while.

Even though I have a strong feeling that he will not join, I thought Kinemon had so much potential because he will get some serious face time, from the Punk Hazard arc, through this arc, and even when they take on Kaidou because Im sure he is tied in some type of way.

There are some potential members this arc, but It is hard to say if anyone joins. Rebecca could join, but she could be a shirohoshi or she could be a vivi, or she could be lke nami. who knows.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy said he wanted at least ten members for his crew when he started his adventure. Still, I think the number of members in the end will depend on Oda's mood. For all we know, he could have Luffy recruit twenty members total. After all, now that the Straw Hats are in the New World, Luffy could use all the powerful crewmates he could find.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chess4 View Post
    Like I have said in earlier post. If a new strawhat does not join this arc, then Jinbe will be the last one. The reason I say this is because Oda intended for One Piece to last only 5 years, but the story evolved as he started writing. Most Of the crew(Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Usopp, Nami) have been around since the first 2 years of the manga. We(The readers) have grown a certain attachment to these characters over the years. I personally dont think that Oda can risk just throwing a new character in there without some serious build up.
    That statement sounds a bit too extreme. This is only the second arc of the first New World Saga. At it's current pace, One Piece could last another fifteen years. It's been three years since the time skip, and Oda has only completed two minor arcs. Why would you think Dressrosa would be the last chance to add a new crew member? There never has been "serious build up" for new characters. Oda has never made a big deal about adding new Strawhats. Rarely has there even been suspense, (as I said before) Robin and Jinbe were the only surprise additions. Otherwise Oda has always explicitly stated a new crew member was joining in the first chapter of the arc where they join. That has been in the case for Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Franky, and Brooke. Oda doesn't seem to care about adding new members, and doesn't seem to care about what the audience thinks either. There has never been any build up, rarely been any suspense, and there has only ever been two surprise additions.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

He will need to end adding some member one day. Already the current crew is a bit to much to handle and Jinbei is not even there.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    That statement sounds a bit too extreme. This is only the second arc of the first New World Saga. At it's current pace, One Piece could last another fifteen years. It's been three years since the time skip, and Oda has only completed two minor arcs. Why would you think Dressrosa would be the last chance to add a new crew member? There never has been "serious build up" for new characters. Oda has never made a big deal about adding new Strawhats. Rarely has there even been suspense, (as I said before) Robin and Jinbe were the only surprise additions. Otherwise Oda has always explicitly stated a new crew member was joining in the first chapter of the arc where they join. That has been in the case for Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Franky, and Brooke. Oda doesn't seem to care about adding new members, and doesn't seem to care about what the audience thinks either. There has never been any build up, rarely been any suspense, and there has only ever been two surprise additions.
    True, the position the new crewmember has filled is mentioned at the beginning of the arc, but that always doesn't have to be the case. Usopp didn't fill the position of sniper until after he joined. If there is a new crewmate joining this arc, we'll probably learn their position afterwards. And as for Jinbe, it's obvious that he'll fill the position of helmsman.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    He will need to end adding some member one day. Already the current crew is a bit to much to handle and Jinbei is not even there.
    If they're going to last in the New World, they need as much power as they can obtain.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think we should count Jimbei as one of the crew members since Luffy invited him in the crew and Jimbei accepted the invitation, but said that he needs some time to resolve the issues with Big Mom and his crew, so in the end it seems that he will join eventually. Maybe when Luffy will finally confront Big Mom.

About other crew members... I think we are still going to witness several new crew members besides Jimbei, since it's obvious that the current crew as it is even with some allies can't confront Yonkou, let alone confront Navy. Even if the entire crew will get some progress in this Arc it 's obvious that to clear New World they need bigger and stronger crew. It was stated that Yonkou aren't only strong themselves. They also had a damn strong close crew and a big army of allied forces like WB did. So in order to take a Yonkou down you either have to have a big crew or all the members of the crew have to be powerhouses. For now the only powerhouses in the crew are Monster Trio and Francky (all to some extent, since I can't even call Luffy a powerhouse for now). So they do need a serious addition to the crew, since at least in WB's crew every commander was at least able to fight on par with VA and some of the stronger ones even managed to fight and stall some of the Admirals.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

True, the position the new crewmember has filled is mentioned at the beginning of the arc, but that always doesn't have to be the case. Usopp didn't fill the position of sniper until after he joined. If there is a new crewmate joining this arc, we'll probably learn their position afterwards. And as for Jinbe, it's obvious that he'll fill the position of helmsman.
    Oda usually makes it obvious whenever a new crew member is about to join. Sometimes he does not mention a position until after, sometimes he does. Brooke was invited to join on impulse, before any specific role was mentioned.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

I think that Oda is going to turn the Strawhats into a big, Yonkou size crew. Jinbe is joining, even though he is Captain of his own crew. Something has to be done with the Sun Pirates, and I do not think he will be disbanding them. I think Osa will be giving the Strawhats three or four divisions, along with the main crew on the Sunny. I think the Sun Pirates become the Second Division (the Sunny is first). Jinbe joins the main crew, the former Sun Pirates are stationed somewhere, to defend an allied island. That way they can become Strawhats (not just an allied crew), but that conveniently keeps them out of the story, not cluttering up the cast. After Kaido is defeated, I think that Law joins under similar terms. He travels on the Sunny, while the former Heart Pirates are stationed to guard another island. That would make Law the tenth, and last, crew member. That would also make the Strawhats (more or less) equal to the big crews Law was talking about after Dressrosa. Cavendish and Barto could potentially become allied crews. I don't think they become Strawhats, but I do think they could potentially become allies, like how the Sun Pirates had been allies of Whitebeard. The Pirates Luffy freed from Hodi Jones could also become allies, if not a full division, guarding Fishman Island for the Strawhats.
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 15, 2013 at 03:44 PM.

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Oda usually makes it obvious whenever a new crew member is about to join. Sometimes he does not mention a position until after, sometimes he does. Brooke was invited to join on impulse, before any specific role was mentioned.
    I think I get what you're saying. I believe that I felt something like that during Rebecca's intro. The way Oda made her stand out gave me a gut feeling that she's joining, and usually, my gut feelings aren't wrong. However, some people want more concrete evidence than just gut feelings.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

If they're going to last in the New World, they need as much power as they can obtain.
    Sorry, but that's not an answer to the problem of too many main character having too little panel time. Oda already has to split them apart and regroup them a little bit later to get everyone a chance to shine and overcome problems, if Jinbe were to join he would be an individual character as shown during FI, ID and MF. I would like to see them use a combo attack as at Thriller Bark again.

And because this is a shounen, we will very likely see a mrirrored version of the Strawhats within the Blackbeard crew, so the number of crew members will be limited to his top members from the MF war.

I think I get what you're saying. I believe that I felt something like that during Rebecca's intro. The way Oda made her stand out gave me a gut feeling that she's joining, and usually, my gut feelings aren't wrong. However, some people want more concrete evidence than just gut feelings.
    He highlighted her like any major support character of a new arc would have been highlighted. Not "some" evidence, any at all. :P
    Last edited by Schabrak; September 16, 2013 at 06:15 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    He highlighted her like any major support character of a new arc would have been highlighted. Not "some" evidence, any at all. :P
    Funny, aren't members of the SH prior to being recruited technically major support characters?

Thread Closed
Page 128 of 134 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast