Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Thread Closed
Page 129 of 134 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2003

Thread: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

While the majority, all characters but the strawhats, has not. We got so many characters like that even in this arc: Cavendish, Bartolomeo or Don Chinjao, any named plot important character could potentially join, but that's beside the point.
    Last edited by Schabrak; September 15, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Firm but Fair

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright. Just answer me this: How did the other members of the crew stick out differently than Rebecca before Luffy recruited them?

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    Alright. Just answer me this: How did the other members of the crew stick out differently than Rebecca before Luffy recruited them?
    like this?
    http://www.mangareader.net/103-2044-...chapter-3.html

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that it is they filled a position in the crew. Now that no position need has been expressed the choice is less obvious.

But there are other hints that make a good candidate, a quirky personality, an original fighting style. So far Rebecca does not seem to fill this.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy said he wanted at least ten members for his crew when he started his adventure. Still, I think the number of members in the end will depend on Oda's mood. For all we know, he could have Luffy recruit twenty members total. After all, now that the Straw Hats are in the New World, Luffy could use all the powerful crewmates he could find.
    At least ten members (Jinbei could make up the last member), but he never said he wanted Rebecca. Luffy also stated what kind of roles he wanted on his crew, and I think he fulfilled all of them and some extras. He got his musician, cook, navigator, sniper, shipwright, protector/supporting fighter, doctor, a known "criminal," and likely one of the shichibukai. What role would Rebecca fill? I honestly see Bartomoleo or even Bellamy joining more than Rebecca.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, as for now I don't see Rebecca joining for many reasons:
    1. She is quite weak as of now. Unless she shows something special, she just doesn't fit. Luffy already has Nami and Usopp who are quite weak even for Grand Line standards and wouldn't have survived in a serious fight without being a part of the crew. So to get another one like this... It just doesn't feel necessary.
    2. I don't feel it would be good for Luffy to give her his brother's DF out of the blue. I feel it would be great if he gives it to someone who joins the crew. At the same time for Rebecca to join just because Luffy gives her DF would be strange, since without it she seems quite weak.
    3. After the last chapter we know that she is Dressrosa's princess, so after defeating Dofla she will become a part of the country's government or maybe will become a new queen if Toy Soldier isn't her father or grandfather. So I don't think such a person would go with Luffy, because it will endanger the country.

At the same time it would be funny to see if Luffy will want to make a dwarf join his crew.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Suna's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    And because this is a shounen, we will very likely see a mrirrored version of the Strawhats within the Blackbeard crew, so the number of crew members will be limited to his top members from the MF war.
    hmmm this is a very good point. But what make you think that BB crew won't grow larger ? We know that Aokiji was somehow recruited, so why no others ?

Btw trying to match the members of each crew would be a nice way to guess who would join the SH next. I have been trying, but couldn't relate every members. Here's my list:
    Luffy/BB
    Zorro/Shyriu
    Sanji/Jesus Burgess
    Usopp/Van Augur
    Nami/Catarina Devon ?
    Brook/Laffitte ?
    Choper/ doc Q ?
    Franky /Sanjuan Wolf
    Robin/?
    Jinbei/??/Avalo Pizarro ?/Vasco Shot

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

For now I will subscribe to the idea that luffy's voyage in the new world won't be about crewmembers but rather it will be about allies. Basically we won't see random people joining him anymore, rather we will see him getting dangerous allied crews to fight for him at his command. Fishman island will be the first to bare the strawhat flag proudly when the time comes and that comes with the allegiance of jinbe and the fishman pirates. Then we have all the allies luffy is making in the tournament. Chinjao himself is a damn powerful ally and with his head back he is now more dangerous that he was before. And now the same chinjao wants to put his army at the service of luffy which is a HUGE development as now luffy has an army to use as he damn pleases. Bartholomeo is pretty strong himself but more important is the fact that he was once a mafia kingping. He is friends with law which is quite significant in itself and once shit gets real at the tournament he is bound to make even more allies. Luffy might walk out of the current arc with just about enough strength to make a yonko think twice about messing with him. It won't be just luffy and the 8 brats, it will be luffy with his actual damn powerful allies willing to give up every bit of blood they have for him. The rest of the new world will likely be like that. Kinemon will be a link to the samurai. If the samurai break their neutrality and start wearing the strawhat flag then even the yonko themselves are likely to shit their pants, the development alone might put luffy on par with the yonko as far as influence goes.

Right now I can only see kinemon permanently joining the crew but that depends on what exactly mononosuke really is.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure this is a new world specificity, I always thought the people Luffy have met during his journey would reappear in the last arcs to help him.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    At least ten members (Jinbei could make up the last member), but he never said he wanted Rebecca. Luffy also stated what kind of roles he wanted on his crew, and I think he fulfilled all of them and some extras. He got his musician, cook, navigator, sniper, shipwright, protector/supporting fighter, doctor, a known "criminal," and likely one of the shichibukai. What role would Rebecca fill? I honestly see Bartomoleo or even Bellamy joining more than Rebecca.
    First off, he meant ten members not counting himself. Second, there are lots of other roles on the ship that need fulfillment. I don't know what they are, but there are usually more members on a crew than what Luffy has.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DutchPhoenix View Post
    Uh, that link doesn't work for me.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

First off, he meant ten members not counting himself. Second, there are lots of other roles on the ship that need fulfillment. I don't know what they are, but there are usually more members on a crew than what Luffy has.

Uh, that link doesn't work for me.
    When you write that there are lots of roles to be filled, but can't name a single position, your argument starts to sounds untrue.^^

A helmsmen [hopefully Jinbe]
    a dancer [who's not Violet, she wants to see Doffy lose too, so she likely will remain on DR]
    a cabin boy[Sanji seems to be in this position for the women for a long time now haha]
    a rigger[Zoro and others do this all the time]
    a powder monkey[not needed on the ship, Franky does all that]
    a swabbie[no one has to specially invited for this]

A mirror link: http://i5.minus.com/iM5yB9BAs8YP1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Not sure this is a new world specificity, I always thought the people Luffy have met during his journey would reappear in the last arcs to help him.
    I think this is a very common theory on how things will turn out at the end of the manga or else showing all those people in the Time Skip cover stories would be kind of a waste, showing how they have developed when they won't appear again.
    Last edited by Schabrak; September 16, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Firm but Fair

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    A helmsmen [hopefully Jinbe]
    a dancer [who's not Violet, but she wants to see Doffy lose too, so she likely will remain on DR]
    a cabin boy[Sanji seems to be in this position for the women for a long time now haha]
    a rigger[Zoro and others do this all the time]
    a powder monkey[not needed on the ship, Franky does all that]
    a swabbie[no one has to specially invited for this]
    Thank you for providing a list. I knew there were other positions, but I didn't know what.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    Well, as for now I don't see Rebecca joining for many reasons:
    1. She is quite weak as of now. Unless she shows something special, she just doesn't fit. Luffy already has Nami and Usopp who are quite weak even for Grand Line standards and wouldn't have survived in a serious fight without being a part of the crew. So to get another one like this... It just doesn't feel necessary.
    Nami and Usopp are weak, but they survived because of their own abilities. Usopp has managed to persevere and find ways to win, as did Nami with their weapons and all. They contribute a lot combat-wise.

Quote Quote:
    At the same time it would be funny to see if Luffy will want to make a dwarf join his crew.
    I could see that happening, and a dwarf actually joining.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Spoiler show
    I don't like agreeing with mods because I'm a hipster, but I agree with kkck. We'll likely see LUffy make more allies than get a new crew member, especially since that could prove far more useful.
    I know that, but there are nine members already with possible ten if Jinbei joins. Or rather, I miscounted, and JInbei would be the 9th member. But what other roles are there? The Strawhats have not pointed out they needed someone to fulfill a role at this point. Luffy wanted Zoro on his team, so he got Zoro. They needed a navigator, which is a role Nami fulfilled. Usopp's sniping was useful, and Luffy invited him. They needed a cook, so Sanji came aboard. Chopper joined because he was a doctor and was needed, along with wanting to be with Luffy. Robin asked Luffy to join. Franky is a shipwright who knew how to build, repair, and keep ships in top shape, especially considering the shape of Going Merry. Brook is a musician, and he's strange with corny jokes that made Luffy want him to join.

So far, they have gotten along just well with the current crew with no problem. Rebecca would have to offer a new or unique role where she'd contribute tremendously for her to be a part of the crew.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that, but there are nine members already with possible ten if Jinbei joins. Or rather, I miscounted, and JInbei would be the 9th member.
    Yes, Jinbe will be the 9th member. That means that at least one more will be recruited.

But what other roles are there? The Strawhats have not pointed out they needed someone to fulfill a role at this point. Luffy wanted Zoro on his team, so he got Zoro. They needed a navigator, which is a role Nami fulfilled. Usopp's sniping was useful, and Luffy invited him. They needed a cook, so Sanji came aboard. Chopper joined because he was a doctor and was needed, along with wanting to be with Luffy. Robin asked Luffy to join. Franky is a shipwright who knew how to build, repair, and keep ships in top shape, especially considering the shape of Going Merry. Brook is a musician, and he's strange with corny jokes that made Luffy want him to join.
    Didn't you see Schabrak's last post? There are a few more positions to fill.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.thepirateking.com/historical/ship_roles.htm

Including captain and swabbie, there are 12 roles

Thread Closed
Page 129 of 134 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast