Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Thread Closed
Page 126 of 134 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2003

Thread: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

  1. #1876
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    I doubt that Oda's going to pull the same stunt as Arabasta. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to repeat himself.
    Your argument that the next crew members need to follow a pattern is quite contradictive with this statement...

  2. #1877
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kulugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    dwarf with a logia DF? yes please!!
    how awesome would it be to have a dwarf in the crew? dwarves are small (save space), they eat less (more food for Luffy), they're strong (looks to be stronger than a human) and they're fast.

  3. #1878
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Suna View Post
    Vivi infiltrated the secret organisation which was plotting to take on Alabasta. While Rebecca wants to kill the tyrant who is the source of all her, and her people, troubles.

    If you spot any plot repetition please let me know... I insist on 'plot', because about the character only I am sure we can find some similarity with Shiraoshi too....
    Once again your argument doesn't stand. You should forget the idea of Rebecca being the next SH. Because she won't.
    I'm entitled to my own opinions. And the plot element I was referring to was the princess turning down joining the Straw Hats.

    ---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Your argument that the next crew members need to follow a pattern is quite contradictive with this statement...
    That's not a plotline. That's a formula.

  4. #1879
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    A repeated formula is that, a repeated formula. That's exactly what you wrote. How does it being a formula change the fact that the approach would be repeated, which is not true in all cases. Flashbacks are common in every bigger arc, someone dying is also part of nearly every arc, Luffy inviting someone is nothing special either, he's done so several times before just for the fun of it.

    Quote Quote:
    He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to repeat himself.
    In the end Vivi is seen as a nakama through the mugiwara cover stories, she couldn't join because of her obligations, but likely would if she wasn't in such a position.
    Last edited by Schabrak; September 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  5. #1880
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    In the end Vivi is seen as a nakama through the mugiwara cover stories, she couldn't join because of her obligations, but likely would if she wasn't in such a position.
    Did Vivi have a flashback where she lost someone special to her? Did she have a dream? While a lot of people thought she might joined, she didn't fit all the criteria,

  6. #1881
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    27,424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    Oda repeats motifs, themes, and even basic plotlines constantly. Dressrosa is following the same basic story line as Drum Island, Alabasta, and Skeypeia. Repetition is part of One Piece. Start with a few basic framing stories, change the details, make everything bigger, louder, and crazier. Oda seems to take great pleasure in outdoing himself. That is a perfectly acceptable writing style, providing much needed continuity for such a long series.

    There is a formula for new Strawhats, it's just that Oda doesn't always follow it. Usually new crew members are not a surprise, he usually makes it obvious during the first chapter of an arc. He usually does not hide who it will be, either. Luffy, or one of the other Strawhats, mentioned that they needed a new member in the first chapter of the arcs when Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, and Franky joined. Brooke was invited to join during the first chapter of the Thriller Bark arc, a few pages after he was introduced. They had not mentioned needing a new crew member first, but it was still obvious from the start that he would join. The only real surprises were Robin and Jinbe. Oda does not always stick to the formula, but he does not seem to care about building suspense when adding new crew members either.

    Nothing about Rebecca suggests she will be a Strawhat. Not because of a formula, but because the pieces don't fit. Nothing about her character suggests grand adventure. She wants to prove she can stand up for herself, get revenge against Doflamingo, and finally be able to live with Soldier-san. That last goal can not be achieved if she leaves with Luffy.
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 12, 2013 at 05:08 PM.

  7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #1882
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheLuffySmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Uddevalla
    Country
    Sweden
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    I just want someone whose name begins with a B. Barto bro or Bellamy bro. I'm also cool with Soldier-san but Rebecca wants to live with him, hmmm... But he has a bounty.. Hmm, God I love Oda <3 Maybe no one joins at all!
    Last edited by TheLuffySmile; September 12, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
    The three brothers

  9. #1883
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Nothing about Rebecca suggests she will be a Strawhat. Not because of a formula, but because the pieces don't fit. Nothing about her character suggests grand adventure. She wants to prove she can stand up for herself, get revenge against Doflamingo, and finally be able to live with Soldier-san. That last goal can not be achieved if she leaves with Luffy.
    What if the only way she can live with him is to leave Dressrosa?

  10. #1884
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    What if the only way she can live with him is to leave Dressrosa?
    Than she will leave Dressrosa with Soldier One Leg and say goodbye to Luffy too, because the Sunny isn't a refugee camp.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #1885
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    What do you need to see to change your mind about Rebecca being Straw Hat material?

  13. #1886
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    The major thing that's holding Rebecca back as a SH candidate is her ambition and dream, which are to defeat the current king (i.e. Doflamingo) and to live with the Toy Soldier again. These goals are confined to Dressrosa and doesn't give any indication that she will sail the seas with the Strawhats... or become a pirate for that matter. Her background as the previous king's granddaughter made it even more obvious: if Doflamingo is removed from his position as monarch, she will be the one to set things back to the way it was prior to his reign.

    Another reason is that it's been 17 chapters since her debut, and she has only been shown to have a connection with Luffy. The rest of the crew has had some sort of interaction with each other early on, and if we're not getting it by now, she only fulfills the same role as Violet, Wicca and Leo.

  14. #1887
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    What do you need to see to change your mind about Rebecca being Straw Hat material?
    Why do we need to change our mind in the first place. You are searching people who fit a formula instead of people who fit the story. This formula is just a fan made thing not something Oda has set in stone. Did Vivi not join because she hasn't someone close to her who died ? That's just ridiculous. And I remind you that Robin's flashback was revealed long after she had join the crew making the statement a character needs a flashback to join void.

  15. #1888
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    27,424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    What do you need to see to change your mind about Rebecca being Straw Hat material?
    Nothing, not right now. Like k-dom said, I am looking for a character who fits the plot. Rebecca does not. She is the type of character that typically stays behind; the local notable who takes up a position of authority after the bad guy is deposed. The next Strawhat is usually obvious. There were even hints that Jinbe would join (his promise to Ace). Robin and Jinbe were the only new Strawhats who were even remotely a surprise.

    ---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

    The only real formula for new Strawhats is that they either had been forced to flee their home, or had no family ties holding them back. Nami had fled Arlong Park (and was an orphan), Usopp had no family on Syrup Island, Sanji was an orphan taken in by Zeff, Chopper was alone after Hiluluk died, and Robin was the only survivor of Ohara. After Enes Lobby, a bounty was issued for Franky, forcing him to flee Waters 7. Brooke was the lone survivor of his crew. Since his bounty was reinstated, Jinbe can not stay on Fishman Island. Little is known about Zoro's past, except that his friend (the one Tashigi looks like) died. It is safe to say he was also all alone in the world too. He was already a wanderer when Luffy met him, with no home, or ties.

  16. #1889
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RuUCwsaSzI

    this is how the next strawhat member will be

  17. #1890
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 2nd edition

    Alright, I'll let you guys think what you want about Rebecca, but I'm sticking with my theory. But if she does end up joining the crew, don't say I didn't tell you.

Thread Closed
Page 126 of 134 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts