Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The One Piece Dub is Finally OVER.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Latest Episodes Discussion

i really hate they stopped dubbing one piece to english.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The One Piece Dub is Finally OVER.

They didn't. They just stopped airing it on T.V. However, FUNimation, with its new and improved (no, really. Their dub is amazingly good) dub, has been releasing the series on DVD since May 2008. They're up to Whiskey Peak now, and DVD's SEEM to be coming out every two months or so, so start saving up your money if you want to watch the dub. Although I suppose that you could try renting the DVD's...

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skyrius's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Funimation released their bundled episode 1-14 at AX last year for about 40 dollars. I spent the last of my money on it XD On the bright side, I like the their dubbed version a hell of a lot more that 4kids. If you ever get the chance (and if you have a Wii), you can grab One Piece: Unlimited Adventure in English. Funimation's voice actors did that one too, and you can hear Franky's (probably) planned voice actor, seeing as the dubbed version hasn't caught up to Water Seven yet (unless they decide to change it).

I haven't bough the DVD's for any of the other episodes yet, but there was one thing that bothered me. As you know, Funimation also translated the opening songs for One Piece into English. I know that they've done We Are! and Hikari E. However, that would kinda mean that they're missing a couple of the opening songs (well, granted the second one's eurobeat type style isn't exactly easy to put lyrics to). So, do they still have those in Japanese or did they just take them out completely. Anyone know? (I'll be pissed if they did though >_>)

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you're asking. They didn't skip any songs. For the dub, they dubbed the songs. For the sub, they subtitled the songs. Both versions are accessible on the DVD, it depends on if you're watching the dub or the sub. What else would you expect them to do?

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skyrius's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, I wouldn't know. That's why I was asking. The impression I got was that they hadn't dubbed all of the songs. I was just going off of the assumption that was true. If they have, then just ignore my question. I haven't gotten around to watching most of Funimation's episodes, so I wasn't sure.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mugiwara_no_Jack's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Funimation do a great job I have to admit ...
    Like that they dubbing the songs and theres no censorship or somethng like this.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TemplateR's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Funimation dub too.

VA´s, Uncensored and trans, all this is great.

I wanted to see now the Funi Dub Episodes of W7/EL Arc^^

The german dub is also good, but not good with censored dialogs -.-
    Lets Go Rangers!

United by Pride, Driven by Passion, Bound by Loyalty!

I AM A RANGER!!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ANY dubbing company would do better than 4Kids.
    FUNimation's dub is consistent with the original- at least they don't "butcher" anything up. They have their censorship, such as referring "Eneru" as King instead of God. It is a satisfying dub at least, but any real One Piece fan would prefer the original.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Aramix's Avatar
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Probbably worst think in Funis dub is Luffy's voice. It sounds toomuch like a brat for me. But other thinks ok (at least how mach i saw) and openings are great. And about that god - king think. Some guys would be realy pissed of if they didn't do that.
    Sorry for lame english.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it weird that One Piece isn't "popular" here in the states like Naruto is.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Im so use to the OP Anime english sub's that all and any new dubs that do come out will just irritate me!!! I like watching most Anime with english sub's compared to the dub's lol.

For me, its great news that they've stopped airing the dubs! They were painfully awful to watch/hear!!! It disgraced Oda's name!!! The main problem with these tv companies/broadcasters is that they dub most, if not all, Japanese anime in a child-like manner and approach all of them in the same way!!! Which is a big NO NO NO!!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JinbeiDMaster View Post
    Im so use to the OP Anime english sub's that all and any new dubs that do come out will just irritate me!!! I like watching most Anime with english sub's compared to the dub's lol.

For me, its great news that they've stopped airing the dubs! They were painfully awful to watch/hear!!! It disgraced Oda's name!!! The main problem with these tv companies/broadcasters is that they dub most, if not all, Japanese anime in a child-like manner and approach all of them in the same way!!! Which is a big NO NO NO!!!
    As much as I respect your opinion, there is no reason to start up a flamewar between the original and any of the dubs.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DARK View Post
    As much as I respect your opinion, there is no reason to start up a flamewar between the original and any of the dubs.
    In what way am I starting a flamewar?? You insisting on replying and adding 'there is no reason to start up a flamewar' whats the purpose of that??? Did I specifically target and upset anyone?? No.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member luffyq1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I will never take the English dubs seriously. The voice acting sounds incredibly cheesy. I think the reason why I never liked the English dubs is because I'm too used to the Japanese voice acting.
    Luffy = Best Manga/Anime character Ever, Period.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, Luffy's voice is impossible to dub; you just don't get women voice-actors who specialize in playing badass kids in America, and even so he has the kind of voice that usually ends up playing sarcastic side-characters (like that little pervy kid in Dragon Ball) and the kind of over-the-top character who would usually be played by a bloke, even in Japan. And is immensely childish and laughing his ass off at everything most of the time but occasionally deadly serious, like the rest of the story. Especially in the early episodes where he's just being random with no evidence to back it up the acting carries the series. You just can't win.

One Piece voice actors are unusually good too, who knows how the got so many veteran voice actors on such a new show (I might be obsessed but Zoro seems to be everywhere these days..)

Anime dubs are getting better though, even for people who don't imagine everything they read with an american accent (Bebop was good in the day, FMA took itself seriously..., Princess Mononoke even got Neil Gaiman to edit the script...)
    Last edited by Ratatosk; September 25, 2011 at 05:24 PM.

New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast